Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 08:00 PM

6,902 posts, read 7,540,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anunidentifiedmale View Post
i have four cans of axe body spray in my bathroom. Just one spray will knock over anyone faster than any silly handgun ever could.
lmfao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 08:01 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
For home protection, a pistol is what you use until you can get to your shotgun. Shotguns do not penetrate into your neighbors house, and they also make it quite easy to hit your target when under that kind of stressful situation. You can equip a flashlight on a shotgun just as easy as a pistol.
Ah you can get ammo that will not penetrate your neighbors house.Or the wall to your kids room for that matter!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:02 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Why don't you try to live in the real world.
The government means the army. What could you ever do against the army.
If you had not noticed, we have civilian volunteer armed forces sworn to uphold the Constitution, not sworn to uphold the federal government. I do live in the real world. Do you? Obviously you do not know the answer to the question you posed nor do you apparently know much about firearms or defensive tactics. So, why personally attack someone who does just because the answer doesn't match your preconceived notion of what is an "acceptable" firearm for the defense of self and family?

3,083 posts, read 4,011,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
How often have you had this happen to you or to anyone you know? Guns do more harm than they do good. I hate guns
This is painfully obvious. Perhaps you might consider an adult solution. Use your options of personal choice, don't own a firearm.

Why do you feel you have any right or responsibility to attempt to influence people of a different culture on a different continent to embrace your beliefs? US gun policies have no effect on you nor are they really any of your business.

As far as your hatred of the TEA Party goes it is yet another facet of our culture that has no effect on you. If you have such a strong desire to intervene in US politics feel free to move here, become a citizen, and vote your conscience. Otherwise you might consider devoting your time to improving things in your own country.

2,404 posts, read 6,580,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
You don't need a gun to protect your house. That's what the police are for, you know?
???? Why ask the government to do something for you , when you should be doing it your self.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
Oh really? You don't know much about the way police response works and the reality of home invasions and how they transpire.

Police very rarely are able to respond to a home invasion or personal attack, till after it's over. And then they call for people to come clean up the mess and take out the bodies.

This fictional TV Land myth that police get there to save the day (family) is exactly that. Fiction. The real world doesn't work like TV.
While sitting a mutually agreed watering hole a friend of mine who was a homicide detective quite condesendingly asked me why I had the weapons the weapons that I had. I asked him how many homicides in progress he had stopped in his 6 years as a homicide detective. I emphasized, Stopped not investigated, solved, or whatever, but stopped. He couldn't name one, and the conversation moved on to another topic.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:04 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,399,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Why would you ever need something else than a shotgun.
Shot guns are large and bulky. While its good if you have enough time prepared, a handgun can be kept close enough to give you those crucial seconds to arm yourself and aim.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:07 PM

716 posts, read 1,120,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You must admit,the left's agenda is anti-gun.

Not everyone. I live in the midwest and know a lot of Democrats, and most of them own guns. There are a few outspoken anti-gun dems, but most don't really care.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:08 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,434,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Shot guns are large and bulky. While its good if you have enough time prepared, a handgun can be kept close enough to give you those crucial seconds to arm yourself and aim.
I've got an Mossberg 18" barrel 12 gauge pump. It's not bulky..and would be even less so, if I had the pistol grip.

One thing I know for sure, is I'm not going to miss..

Old 01-11-2011, 08:11 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
For home protection, a pistol is what you use until you can get to your shotgun. Shotguns do not penetrate into your neighbors house, and they also make it quite easy to hit your target when under that kind of stressful situation. You can equip a flashlight on a shotgun just as easy as a pistol.
You have the correct answer. Shotguns are the best form of home defense when to comes to guns. As you said the shot tends to slow quickly when hitting solid objects such as walls, meaning the shot do not pass out of your house and kill someone next door. Handguns take more practice and most people are just not that good at using them, especially in the dark and when they are nervous. I have several guns in my home but I would always reach for my Mossburg pump over say something like my 44 Mag. I would also add dogs are a very good deterent, especially in the home defense area. Even a small dog barks and draws attention, something a criminal does not want, and a larger one can do a lot more than bark at them. I have two and yes they would attack if they felt threatened or if someone threatened me. I have always recomend gettting a dog to single women that is concerned with their security but were against owning a gun.
I will let everyone get back to argueing over gun ownership and the such.
Casper
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies