Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 08:49 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The real debt number is not the government debt-to-GDP ratio, but the total private and public debt-to-GDP ratio.

What's the number?

Well, when you add all the debt in the U.S. economy, it comes to a staggering 350 percent of the current GDP! The United States has entered its "Argentina" phase... YIKES!!!
Closer to 380% actually.

US Total Debt = $55.62 trillion
US GDP = $14.698 trillion

It gets even worse if you include all the US liabilities ($112.264 trillion). Which works out to just over $1,000,000 of liability per taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2011, 08:54 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
In economies, most things produced are produced for sale, and sold.

Therefore, measuring the total expenditure of money used to buy things is one way of measuring production.

Note that if you cut your own firewood, it is production but does not get counted as GDP because it is never sold.Cutting Firewood for sale, is a small part of the economy, but if one counts some major activities such as child-rearing (generally unpaid) as production, GDP ceases to be an accurate indicator of production.

Similarly, say a lasting term shift from non-market provision of services (for example cooking, cleaning, child rearing, DIY repairs) to market provision of services, then this recent move will increase market provision of services and mask a dramatic decrease in actual domestic production.

The result, an overly optimistic and inflated reported GDP. This is a very big problem for nations economies, that have switched from big production economies to service economies.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:04 PM

1,788 posts, read 2,482,531 times
OP put government and honest in the same sentence. OP owes me a new keyboard and some windex for my screen.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:34 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
I just came down by vehicle and ship from Alaska. When I hit Washington Oregon and Cali there is little doubt that a depression has hit. There were literally hundreds of homeless people in towns which hardly ever had them e.g. Grants Pass. Several large auto dealers in the Redding CA area built over 2006-2009 brand spanking new Ford dealers are now shut. Buildings are boarded up all over the Interstate 5 corridor and in all towns which I saw. Sacramento feels like a ghost town. Depression?

No doubt.
Beautifully Spoken ! And occuring in many cities . Closed dealerships and businesses. Many strip malls a ghost town..

I went to get my car fixed at my Dealership and they were closed. I drove around and * found * another dealership that would handle my car.

6 months later I drove to that dealership and it was CLOSED too !

Old 01-25-2011, 07:26 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
And now our President who I have supported is in trouble fixing these debts due to the stalwart party of NO. Sad. sometimes I think that we should give the $1 for serving in Congress.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:48 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
Quote:
And now our President who I have supported is in trouble fixing these debts due to the stalwart party of NO. Sad. sometimes I think that we should give the $1 for serving in Congress.

I hate to be the one to break this news but that stimulus was just another same old money grab to feed the bankers and assorted other fat cats. The problem now is there is no one left to borrow from, and your idea of a pres can't just grab a few trillion more from thin air any more than you can.

Your congress is tax exempt and do not live by the same laws you and I do. They don't need your buck, but they sure won't turn it down.

While your pres stutters and mumbles trying to read the teleie, and looks up for a mirical in the sky, he is in fact hoping to find one in the sky, because he knows his a** is grass where he is, and pretty soon the only green thing of the remotest value will be green grass.

He lies telling us the economy is picking up, but it isn't and it is getting far worse. States as I type have fancy legal eagles drawing up state notes of bankruptcy.

Either America goes back to work or it dies. It's that simple and if the blasted fed would just get out of the way, instead of trying to spend the very last dime, maybe we could, but we can't hold up this waste and spending.

This economy is built like a pyramid, but at this point it's upside down, and because the Feds cut off the bottom a long time ago, before you and even Obama was born.

So it isn't all his fault, but with just 176 days as a senator he has 0 ability to do anything other than make a fool of himself, which by the way he excells at and then take the country with him.

He should have known better than to try and play with the big dogs.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:28 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
That party was not in charge between 2007-2010. Just to remind you.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:30 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
That party was not in charge between 2007-2010. Just to remind you.
How quickly they forget who is spending money like crazy and putting us deeper in debt.

The dems have spent us into bankruptcy, not the reps.

Old 01-25-2011, 09:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
And your party of yes wants to hand a blanket amnesty out to any and all takers, they're still working to bring more cheap labor to take jobs here.

Not only that, Obama is trying to destroy truckers' jobs right now by permitting trucks from Mexico to take over our highways.

Old 01-25-2011, 10:23 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,313,628 times
Time for the bond market vigilantes to come to the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies