Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2011, 11:07 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,979,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Surely, you are not suggesting that it was the Obama administration's policies that precipitated the 9 million job losses. And, unless you are a believer in fairy tales, you don't believe that the President has a magic wand that he can simply wave to create jobs.

The market has been going up (not up and down) for 5 months. The economy, which is reflected in the stock market, has to revive before jobs can be created and that IS happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
At least she was alive, not looking sedated.
LOL, good one, I'm sitting on the sidelines here, just viewing for awhile.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:13 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,987,932 times
Same lies & false sense of hope we were given two years ago.

Willing to listen to us the people about the healthcare reform bill & make what changes need to be made?

Oh really?

Rewind a year ago & Palosi said it was going to pass, but she didn't know exactly what was in it.

Did anyone else notice her kissing Greta Van Susterens ass last night?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:17 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,520,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Same lies & false sense of hope we were given two years ago.

Willing to listen to us the people about the healthcare reform bill & make what changes need to be made?

Oh really?

Rewind a year ago & Palosi said it was going to pass, but she didn't know exactly what was in it.

"Fathom the odd hypocrisy that Barry Soetoro (a.k.a. Barack Hussein Obama) wants every citizen to prove they are insured, but people don't have to prove they are citizens."

Old 01-25-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The little boy that did the rebutal didn't listen either, maybe if he had he wouldn't have looked so foolish with his rebutal speech, that's what ya get when you send a rookie in to replace a experienced player.
Casper
With scare tactics, I didn't think much of him, is that the best they can do?

Old 01-25-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
General observations:

I was heartened to see that at least 3/4 of the time the members stood to applaud, they did so in unison over an issue both sides found commonality on.

I was also glad there was WAY less standing this time around.

John Boehner had 2 looks; "yeah, right " and "Oh G-d, how are we going to rebut this and not look like partisan idiots?"

I think the President is right that, by G-d, we need to start focusing on fixing our education system or we will soon be unable to compete in a world market. And that includes investing in R&D!

I love that he's going to be sending Congress a proposal for streamlining government departments. It will mean losing a lot of federal jobs, which will both have the conservatives around here screaming about "job losses under Obama", and the conservatives in the real world unable to lay claim to the "smaller government" line they've been lying to the public about for decades (they've grown the government every single time they've controlled it).

Did Paul Ryan even listen to the President's speech? He repeatedly called on him to do things he had clearly said he was going to do. Speaker Boehner was right to look worried about the rebuttal coming off as idiotic.

I laughed my butt off over the smoked salmon line!

Great post. I'd like to point out that the President and his Administration and Cabinet Departments have already been making HUGE strides in getting a grip on Medicare. There was an article on CNN about it yesterday, but sadly, it's not the kind of thing folks around here like to talk about.
Report: Record $2.5 billion returned to Medicare from fraud cases - CNN.com

"The federal government returned a record total of more than $2.5 billion to the Medicare program from settlements and court judgments surrounding health care fraud cases last year, according to a government report issued Monday.

An overall total of $4 billion was collected, including hundreds of millions in funds recovered for other federal agencies and payments to whistleblowers, the Justice Department said."
There is a lot to be proud about with this presidency. We're definitely on the right path.
Good post

Old 01-25-2011, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Sanrene hated the speech? Color me shocked! Didn't you just say the same thing about his speech in Tucson? In your opinion, when did he have "good" speeches? I'm really interested to find out.

November 2012 is still too far too call - but think of the hits that Obama has endured in the last year - the oil spill, the devolution into insanity of the right, etc, etc., and his approval is STILL hovering around 50%.

Plus, the economy is picking up and still has 18 months to go.

The GOP house will likely be ineffectual (too many divergent goals there), and the party has no stars to run in 2012. Palin has turned into a massive thorn in their side.

Can't wait 'til the election! I predict a lot of exploding heads around here.
Yep

Old 01-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Yes, we're positively surrounded by class around here. . .
LOL, good one

Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
The stock market is not the only thing that drives the American economy and you know it.

How about 9 million job losses in the last two years. Guess the stock market is the ONLY positive thing you can post about.

The stock market going up and down does not help the average American who has lost their home and living in tents.
Its actually 2.8 million not 9 million, the numbers were higher after the first few months in office when he took over under conditions in which the previous administration left with losing 700,000 + jobs a month.

Old 01-25-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to me, that alone is something to be thankful for.

Do I need to remind you of the sheer agony of an Al Gore (or John Kerry) speech?

The impossible sheen of John Edwards hair blazing in faux-populist fury?

The wristslitting disappointment of a W speech?

The lip quivering and touchdown for Jesus style of a Clinton speech?

The nasal twang of and tortured look of a Bush I speech?

The horror of seeing Dan Quayle go anywhere near the lectern.

Reagan? Ok, Mr. Reagan made people feel pretty good too.

And a lot of people liked it. Point is. I like it when a President can speak.
Me too, he's not boring as those in the past who made you want to change the channel, he talks directly to the people and I feel that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies