Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 06:29 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Well well well, is ANYONE surprised that the comments on the SOTU are divided exactly where they always are on this issue. The Moderates and Lberals liked the speak and agreed for the most part with what he said and the "conservatives" said they hated it with a few making comments that made me wonder if they even stopped screaming at their television set long enough to actually hear anything the President said. The President said he is willing to work with the Repubs on reforming the healthcare reform bill and he said he is more than willing to cut anything we really do not need to save money. I thought that he shown he is the stateman I have always believed him to be and at the same time challanged the right to step up to the plate and get down to work. The GOP has the opportunity to show they care more about the Nation than their Party regaining total control. If they do not work with the President they will be gone in 2012. So which is it do your JOB and work with the Senate and Whithouse or be the Party of No and show what many believe to be your true colors?
Casper
This is an interesting comment because it is clear that you believe that the Republicans need to agree with Obama in order to show they care about the Nation. In actuality, there was very little in Obama's speech that was specific as in almost every other SOTU that I have heard. Like I said before, par for the course. Same for the rebuttal - par for the course. Will be interesting to see how things proceed from here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 06:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Does he sleep in the tanning bed alone?

Apparently some people become addicted to tanning. I do not understand why.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:35 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
This is an interesting comment because it is clear that you believe that the Republicans need to agree with Obama in order to show they care about the Nation. In actuality, there was very little in Obama's speech that was specific as in almost every other SOTU that I have heard. Like I said before, par for the course. Same for the rebuttal - par for the course. Will be interesting to see how things proceed from here.
I think the republicans need to support small and new business development, and innovative technology, to care for the nation--it has nothing to do with agreeing with Obama himself, but that's what Obama was proposing. As I said, the devil is in the details, but I didn't hear that out of Ryan. You can respond with fear and blame, and try to appeal to those emotions in voters, or you can be responsible and create a plan to move forward.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:36 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Does he sleep in the tanning bed alone?

Apparently some people become addicted to tanning. I do not understand why.
that's a great question!

although it doesn't apply to Mr. Boehner, b/c he doesn't use the tanning bed.

i'm not sure if they have multiple person tanning bed's, but if they don't, i think it's a great idea! just think of the money you can save by splitting the costs!!

and yes, tanning can be addictive...i saw a preview of a show on TLC or something like that, where this chick was literally addicted to tanning...go figure.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
This society is sooooo screwed up it should be called the State of the Disunion.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:43 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I think the republicans need to support small and new business development, and innovative technology, to care for the nation--it has nothing to do with agreeing with Obama himself, but that's what Obama was proposing. As I said, the devil is in the details, but I didn't hear that out of Ryan. You can respond with fear and blame, and try to appeal to those emotions in voters, or you can be responsible and create a plan to move forward.
Except for some fringes, both parties are generally for the same thing: a strong economy, strong business community, strong defense, and providing Americans opportunities. The differences in the parties is generally the path to get there. The country is generally center right but elections are not won by the center candidates. Again, it will be interesting how things progress from here.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Seems to me, that alone is something to be thankful for.

Do I need to remind you of the sheer agony of an Al Gore (or John Kerry) speech?

The impossible sheen of John Edwards hair blazing in faux-populist fury?

The wristslitting disappointment of a W speech?

The lip quivering and touchdown for Jesus style of a Clinton speech?

The nasal twang of and tortured look of a Bush I speech?

The horror of seeing Dan Quayle go anywhere near the lectern.

Reagan? Ok, Mr. Reagan made people feel pretty good too.

And a lot of people liked it. Point is. I like it when a President can speak.
So nice words and speech are good....

Actual results matter at all?

No wonder this nation is going down the crapper,when being able to speak well is given such importance.

Style over substance.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:51 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Actions speak louder than words.

So far, Obama has only increased corporate burdens through increased regulations, lack of tort reform and no tax reductions. Further, his Obamacare creates a tremendous burden on small buisness.

Let's see if he actually works with congress to cut corporate burdens to make the US a better buisness climate (I doubt it- he has the trial lawyers and the unions as his masters).

Further, Obama had ZERO suggestions to cut the debt and the deficit. Why? No politician will actually make the hard decisions to cut spending as they fear they will not be re-elected (i.e.- their personal careers are more important than the nation).
Did you miss the part of the speech where he talked about torte reform? That's going to have the trial lawyers screaming, so we'll see what happens. I didn't hear anything in his speech that would tick off unions. The only people against common sense regulation are people on the far right--some regulation is a good thing, and moderate republicans have always supported it. As far as cutting--he was clear that that he wants to cap spending and start consolidating federal departments to make them more efficient. That's what I would do in my business--get rid of the dead weight--vs. just across the board cuts. Cutting the bloat in military spending is a common sense step forward as well. I want to see details and see how this pans out before I jump on the bandwagon, but I liked what I heard so far.

Last edited by mb1547; 01-26-2011 at 07:27 AM..

Old 01-26-2011, 06:58 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Loopholes are direct evidence of corruption in Congress. It seems that progressives and tea-partiers, repubs and dems could agree to level the playing field. Everybody should play by the same rules--that's the American Way--not carveouts and exemptions for the importers of rum and owners of NASCAR tracks. We all should support this obvious area of common agreement.

Old 01-26-2011, 07:11 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You were, why is that is it because you don't pay attention? The President said he was against extending the tax cuts for the rich since the very begining. Problem is the Republicans held Extended Unemployment Benefits for Millions of Americans hostage, it was the only way he could get them the money they needed. It is called compromise, something Repubs better learn to do or they will find themselves in the back seat again. This nation is sick and tired of the partisan politics and insist that the Reps do their job instead of playing games.
Casper

You have it backwards.

Your party has been in control for 4 years.

The people voted your party out of control.

Yup, people are sick of the games by the loon party of hate and got rid of them in record numbers.

Something the dems need to learn as they are about to get kicked out of Washington real soon for telling the American people hell no so much.

The dems have held the American people hostage for the last 4 years and just about have us in bankruptcy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies