Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 05:56 PM

24,521 posts, read 33,396,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And because he is Rush.....he got off.
He "got off" using legal methods. No different from other famous people who have done the same thing.

Quote:
I haven't seen you express much sympathy for all the other probably hundreds of thousands of our citizens who also suffered from pain and which led them to do things they might not do otherwise, and who ended up in PRISON because of it. Just ordinary, probably mostly blue-collar types, who couldn't afford high price attorneys and who didn't have the power and influence of your "hero," Rush.
I do have sympathy for those in pain. Years ago, my mom suffered from severe migraine headaches. She also had arthritis that flared up. And I am also familiar with an addiction to a drug. My mom was addicted to a tranquilizer (Meprobamate) for a short time. She was supposed to take 2-3 per day and she was taking 6-7. Her doctor took her off those pills. I am now her caregiver. Caregiving is a stressful job and I could probably use a tranquilizer but I am not going to do that because I don't want to take the chance of "needing" them and I need to be in good condition to be a caregiver. I bet you didn't know that, which just goes to show you know very little about me.

And Rush is not my "hero." I was just correcting some inaccuracies about him.

Quote:
I see you also didn't address the hypocrisy of him calling for the death penalty for drug addicts and dealers, all the while that he was sucking down his own illegally obtained drugs.
Again, he was referring to those who deal with drugs like cocaine, not prescription drugs.

Quote:
Not in this lifetime.
Too bad, you may learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,611,852 times
For former (either due to death or rehabilitation) Samuel Taylor Coleridge, Nick Drake, Billie Holiday, James Taylor, and probably some others.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
And you know that.........how?

How do you know what he would or wouldn't do? Are you going just by what he SAYS? And how do you know with absolute certainty that he's telling the truth?

How do you know what he's doing NOW?

How can you speak so definitively about what he would or wouldn't have done if he didn't have back pain?

And how do you know just how much back pain he really had? Because he said he did?

What gives YOU such great insight into Rush and his psyche? And what makes HIS pain and misery so much worse than anyone else's?
That's a silly question. Why would he have started taking a pain pill if he had no pain? Maybe you can post his complete medical records including any drugs taken? If not, anything you claim is just that- a claim and nothing more.

I don't know what he's doing now because I am not that interested in him and because that info would probably be hard to find.

Now you are making assumptions that his back pain wasn't that bad. Your posts are getting too irrational to reply to. As you said in your other post, many ordinary people get addicted to a prescription drug. The lucky ones (like Rush) and able to treat and cure the addiction. Why attack him over that?

But, like I said earlier, this it not intended to be a thread about Rush. So you can have the last word/post about it (unless you say something really irrational, then I could not resist replying).

Old 04-08-2012, 06:15 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,976,414 times
Well Fleet, even after you asking this thread not turn into a Rush thread, I see some are just too obessed to take your advice.

Some act like Rush is this big bad druggie and fail to address others.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Well Fleet, even after you asking this thread not turn into a Rush thread, I see some are just too obessed to take your advice.

Yes, and whatever happened to those who think all drugs should be legal and "what they do in their own house is nobody else's business?"

Old 04-08-2012, 06:43 PM

13,644 posts, read 10,041,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
You don't know why? It's because his addiction was not intended. He never would have taken Oxycontin if he didn't have back pain.
Where's the Personal Responsibility here? Nobody ever intends to be addicted. Believe it or not, not even recreational drug users intend to become addicts. Sure, they know it's possible, but human nature is such that it always happens to the other guy, it's not going to happen to you.

Anybody that is prescribed opiates for pain is warned well in advance that they are taking a substance that they could become addicted to. Doctors prescribe enough for the pain and warn against abusing the drug. The person taking it knows full well when they're going beyond the amount required for pain only.

The mechanism of addiction is such that it doesn't care whether you take it for pain or pleasure, it gets you the same way, regardless.

If it were someone taking it for pleasure, you'd be harping on that they were Personally Responsible for their addiction. But in the end, Rush was just taking it like any other addict, and he full well knew it. Everybody knows it, although they may deny it, even to themselves.

Nobody "intends" to become addicted. Ask anybody who just had their very first beer if they're going to end up an alcoholic. You can bet that they think they'll be able to handle booze, and that it won't happen to them.

Rush would have been warned the Oxy was addictive, and he let it go to the point where he was addicted anyway. Just like any other addict.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:51 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,281,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Where's the Personal Responsibility here? Nobody ever intends to be addicted. Believe it or not, not even recreational drug users intend to become addicts. Sure, they know it's possible, but human nature is such that it always happens to the other guy, it's not going to happen to you.

Anybody that is prescribed opiates for pain is warned well in advance that they are taking a substance that they could become addicted to. Doctors prescribe enough for the pain and warn against abusing the drug. The person taking it knows full well when they're going beyond the amount required for pain only.

The mechanism of addiction is such that it doesn't care whether you take it for pain or pleasure, it gets you the same way, regardless.

If it were someone taking it for pleasure, you'd be harping on that they were Personally Responsible for their addiction. But in the end, Rush was just taking it like any other addict, and he full well knew it. Everybody knows it, although they may deny it, even to themselves.

Nobody "intends" to become addicted. Ask anybody who just had their very first beer if they're going to end up an alcoholic. You can bet that they think they'll be able to handle booze, and that it won't happen to them.

Rush would have been warned the Oxy was addictive, and he let it go to the point where he was addicted anyway. Just like any other addict.
This - said so much better than anything I said.

Excellent post. Thank you.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:31 PM

Yes, Finster, people don't intend to become addicted. But when you are suffering from severe pain, like Rush and person I mentioned in post #59, you do things you wouldn't ordinarily do. Even when you are warned about side effects or possible addiction.

You and I don't know Rush (or that other person I mentioned... the 19-year-old who always shunned drug use until he injured his back) well enough to make a claim that he had a tendency to become an addict. Saying he "may have" is just a guess.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:51 PM

13,644 posts, read 10,041,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, Finster, people don't intend to become addicted. But when you are suffering from severe pain, like Rush and person I mentioned in post #59, you do things you wouldn't ordinarily do. Even when you are warned about side effects or possible addiction.

You and I don't know Rush (or that other person I mentioned... the 19-year-old who always shunned drug use until he injured his back) well enough to make a claim that he had a tendency to become an addict. Saying he "may have" is just a guess.
Everyone has a story. An addict is an addict, in the end. Back pain, emotional pain, some childhood horror, someone just wanting to escape for an afternoon.

If all are responsible, then all are responsible. Nobody in an addict's meeting gets a pass because they had some "legitimate" reason to be there.

And please, you don't have to know Rush or anybody else "well enough". All addicts took something and found they couldn't stop. End of story. It doesn't matter why, nothing makes Rush special nor absolved. He knew what was up.

Just like any other addict.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:32 PM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Nice try, but it seems you two are the ones who made this about Rush - and have kept it going as such for DAYS now, long after I and many others lost interest & moved on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies