Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 12:58 AM

2,548 posts, read 2,169,151 times

Advertisements

Now that I think about it, William S. Burroughs hands down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 AM

24,527 posts, read 33,410,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Everyone has a story. An addict is an addict, in the end. Back pain, emotional pain, some childhood horror, someone just wanting to escape for an afternoon.

If all are responsible, then all are responsible. Nobody in an addict's meeting gets a pass because they had some "legitimate" reason to be there.

And please, you don't have to know Rush or anybody else "well enough". All addicts took something and found they couldn't stop. End of story. It doesn't matter why, nothing makes Rush special nor absolved. He knew what was up.

Just like any other addict.
But there are differences among addicts (or former addicts).
Some get addicted to a drug they are taking for "fun."

Some, like Rush, get addicted to a drug they are taking for a legitimate disorder.

Don't you see the difference? Remember, too, that Rush did the right thing and got treated; many don't and it affects their lives in a negative way.

And, yes, you do have to know Rush well enough because you can't make allegations like "he has/had a tendency to an addiction" without knowing him (or anyone else) well.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
But there are differences among addicts (or former addicts).
Some get addicted to a drug they are taking for "fun."

Some, like Rush, get addicted to a drug they are taking for a legitimate disorder.

Don't you see the difference? Remember, too, that Rush did the right thing and got treated; many don't and it affects their lives in a negative way.

And, yes, you do have to know Rush well enough because you can't make allegations like "he has/had a tendency to an addiction" without knowing him (or anyone else) well.
Rush got treated after he got busted.

Whatever happened to personal responsibility? I thought conservatives believed in that. It's always someone elses fault, never the person who commits the act

My mama didn't love me enough, I felt pressured, my back hurt

Old 04-10-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nice try, but it seems you two are the ones who made this about Rush - and have kept it going as such for DAYS now, long after I and many others lost interest & moved on.
Now that's amusing. If you lost interest, why do you keep posting? Lol.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
Rush got treated after he got busted.
Yes, just like many others.

Quote:
Whatever happened to personal responsibility? I thought conservatives believed in that. It's always someone elses fault, never the person who commits the act
Rush did show personal responsibility. He went into rehab and cured his addiction. Who said it was some else's fault? It never would have happened if he had no back pain or an unsuccessful back surgery.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Yes, just like many others.

Rush did show personal responsibility. He went into rehab and cured his addiction. Who said it was some else's fault? It never would have happened if he had no back pain or an unsuccessful back surgery.
So it's drugs fault or his backs fault, but not his fault. Limbaugh got high from Oxy, and only Rush is to blame for that, not his parents, not society, not the drug companies, and not his 300lb body which messed up his back.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:28 AM

603 posts, read 969,374 times
My Tea Party parents.

13 different meds a day, plus a 6 pack a night,
and a whole pot of coffee every single morning.

Then again, they're Boomers so they really know how to par-tay!
Or did...now they're mainly just cranky until their 4 PM beer.

Old 04-10-2012, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So it's drugs fault or his backs fault, but not his fault. Limbaugh got high from Oxy, and only Rush is to blame for that, not his parents, not society, not the drug companies, and not his 300lb body which messed up his back.

Question: Do you believe he would have gotten addicted to Oxycontin if he had no back pain. Yes or no? And do you agree he did take responsible action (entering rehab)?

Looks like nothing is going to change your mind and your opinion. And that's okay, you are allowed to have your opinion and so am I.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:02 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,868,832 times
Quote:
Question: Do you believe he would have gotten addicted to Oxycontin if he had no back pain. Yes or no? And do you agree he did take responsible action (entering rehab)?

Looks like nothing is going to change your mind and your opinion. And that's okay, you are allowed to have your opinion and so am I.
No. (To the would he have gotten addicted question.)
He took responsibility after he got busted. My son is 15 and 1/2 of the time he will eat a bowl of cereal and leave it on the table 'til Hell freezes over, unless I remind him to put it in the sink. He'll take responsibility for the bowl, if Dad tells him to.

Taking responsibility and being made to take responsibility are two different things.

Old 04-10-2012, 04:52 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,109,865 times
Quote:
Now that's amusing. If you lost interest, why do you keep posting? Lol.
What - like 3 posts in the last 4-5 days? I did lose interest, and then peeked back in when it got bumped...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies