Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 06:45 AM

520 posts, read 1,007,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
Most of the illegals are not "Americanizing" at all. You don't live in the U.S.A. do you?
What is "Americanizing"?

How would you define "multicuralism", as most earlier posts are critiquing non-"Americans" (whatever race/culture that is) for not "assimilating"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 AM

371 posts, read 393,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You continue to prove my point. Why don't you leave now? What's stopping you? Where you gonna go? Antarctica? That's really white. Just snow and penguins.
So facts are stereotypes?

You seem like a prime example of public education.

And where did I say I must live near white people?

Your assumption is that since black and hispanic people are maintaining too many African and Mexican values that the only option is an all white nation. While that's a big jump, I don't see it as accurate at all. Asians also provide nice countries, communities and values. As seen by the performance of Asians in America, they can learn, integrate and succeed at higher rates than many white people.

What's stopping me is I'm a firm believer that immigrants should learn the native language, and since I'm moving it is my responsibility to foot the bill. I'll learn in the US, and then move. It makes me more marketable and allows for easier integration into society.

It's called practicing what you preach. I wouldn't expect a simpleton you like you that can't understand what facts are to understand that.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
IMO, the movement away from the melting pot has resulted in not a multicultural society, but the loss of an American culture. It is no wonder that many people, especially our youth, do not know what society's expectations are for them since the values once clearly communicated and understood are now largely left up to the individual to define.
Interesting comment. But, wasn't America SUPPOSEDLY founded on civil liberties; thus, that whole mumbo-jahumbo that they put into that little document called the Declaration of Independence that die-hard Americans love to recite?

Shouldn't the youth be looking to establish their own identities and define their own values, morals and principals instead of being lemming-like and jumping over the same American cliff that has so many Americans drowning in debt, foreclosure, opting for material wealth over universal healthcare, and choosing oil over humanity?

I pray to God, yes God, that my children say "screw societal expectations" and become outstanding individuals - however they define it.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,905,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I didn't say it was categorically a failure, I said it was a failure THUS FAR.

And sure, integration could be 100% achieved.
You can't label an on-going process a failure, you can only say something has failed when the process has been concluded.

And you assert that integration could be achieved, but you don't elaborate as to how. Would you care to reveal your agenda by sharing that little tidbit?

Old 02-16-2011, 07:30 AM

3,336 posts, read 6,948,357 times
I like to add the following factoid to threads like this:

When my German great-great-great grandfather died in 1910 after having lived in America for more than sixty years, he could neither read nor write in English.

E-v-e-r-y second generation immigrant I have ever known has at least been as fluent at reading, writing, and speaking English as my white, sixth-generation American friends.

Oh, and 1 in 7 marriages is interracial. This is double what it was even 20 years ago.

At least we can take comfort in knowing most xenophobes have moved out into the distant burbs, have an acre of land, isolate themselves, and only spew their nonsense through internet message boards.

Old 02-16-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Yes.

Especially with the influx of the muslim community.
What!?!?

What do the Muslim community have to do with the denegration of multiculturalism?

Maybe this thread would really benefit from an approved-upon definition of "American" and "American culture", or maybe who best represents these attributes (Sarah Palin, George Bush, Barack Obama, Al Bundy, The Jackson 5...who).

Old 02-16-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone-Ranger View Post
We would do well to keep that in check, once the roots sets in, you'll see a swarm in a matter of a decade.

And no, not fear mongering, just stating facts!!
How do you "...keep that in check"?

What if the US, in the spirit of Americanism and democracy, suddenly shuts its doors on all immigrants (except Europeans, of course), but the people - through media and a globally-connected world - develop a liking to Islam and convert from Christianity to Islam? How do you suppose we "keep that in check"...through propoganda, book burnings, media content filtering, imprisonment and prison camps?

Is an Orwellian approach more satisfactory than allowing America to go through the Tuckman stages of forming, storming, norming and performing in an effort to define a NEW American culture.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:12 AM

It appears as though the common theme on this thread is about a loss of American culture - whatever the heck that may be - and a fear of Muslims, non-English speaking immigrants and anything that does not resemble the typical, or mainstream (code word for -----), viewpoint shared by the "masses". But, consiser this:

- I'm sure the Native Americans were thinking the same thing when they were forced onto designated reservations.

- It seems as though people on this thread are fearful of America 2.0, a new American culture and ideology that does not align with a more Eurocentric, or Euro-American, mindset.

- It was the good-old, HIGHLY COHESIVE American thought process and McCarthyism that allowed for us to bomb Afghanistan without due process. Maybe some American dissidents provide balance to our society.

- That good old American culture has bred (1) arrogance, (2) greed, (3) mccarthyism, (4) capitalism over humanity, (5) racial intolerance, (6) cultural intolerance, (7) gluony, and (8) the idolatry of money.

Blacks stuck with America through America's dark period of disdain and spite for black people and have even adopted some of your American beliefs. Maybe you should try being accepting of, and learning about, the beliefs of other cultures. You may find some of their practices more efficient and practical than your own.

Old 02-16-2011, 08:17 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,077,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
How do you "...keep that in check"?

What if the US, in the spirit of Americanism and democracy, suddenly shuts its doors on all immigrants (except Europeans, of course), but the people - through media and a globally-connected world - develop a liking to Islam and convert from Christianity to Islam? How do you suppose we "keep that in check"...through propoganda, book burnings, media content filtering, imprisonment and prison camps?
Funny that you should bring that up because essentially one quarter of all Muslims in the U.S. are African American converts.

A few more interesting facts about American Muslims:

AMERICAN MUSLIM DEMOGRAPHICS - MUSLIM AMERICAN POPULATIONS OUTREACH PROGRAMS

Old 02-16-2011, 10:14 AM

2,385 posts, read 4,336,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You can't label an on-going process a failure, you can only say something has failed when the process has been concluded.
Yes, you can. Ex., we have failed to cure the common cold THUS FAR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And you assert that integration could be achieved, but you don't elaborate as to how. Would you care to reveal your agenda by sharing that little tidbit?
oh, full integration is achieved when we're all one color/one race.

but, if you're arguing that full integration can't be achieved, then you must agree that multiculturalism has failed. you know, since it can "never" fully be achieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies