Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 11:31 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

^^ Or mountain states liberals (few though we are)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2011, 11:34 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
I have lived in California and New York. Liberalism has destroyed California as a state. California will soon be bankrupt with all of its social spending and entitlements, especially with regard to illegal immigrants. I think it is much more extreme in California than New York. I think New York is not that far behind but is more grounded in reality and practicality.

Liberal Californians have an extremely idealistic approach to life. It is not grounded in reality and it does not work. Thats why it's citizens pay such high taxes yet the state is broke, broke, broke. We as Federal tax payers should refuse to bail out California if it goes bankrupt. They have chosen their way so let them sink or swim, on their own.

California weather is nice.
what you fail to realize though is that California if it were an independent economy would be the 8th largest economy in the world.. so while they have fiscal issues.. and you attack attack attack.. they are also doing something right..California has been good at recognizing the importance of spending a penny to make a dime, unfortunately that philosophy was reduced to spending a dime to make a nickle by bad politicians democrat AND republican It's not liberalism that did it.. it's greed..
Don't be so quick to write off california as a lost cause just because you moved away or want to move away.. it's a vital portion of the United States economy.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^ Or mountain states liberals (few though we are)?
mountain states liberals unite!

most cities of the mountain west are liberal or liberal leaning.. EVEN Salt lake city proper believe it or not..
I think the mountain west is the best place to observe the urban liberal conservative rural anomaly...

Last edited by boiseguy; 02-13-2011 at 12:28 AM..

Old 02-12-2011, 11:41 PM

22,193 posts, read 19,473,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom123 View Post
If were were to generalize:

West Coast liberals seem to be more focused social liberal issues, aka lifestyle, like gay marriage / gay rights.

East Coast liberals seem to be more focused on policy/fiscal liberal issues first.
Hard to say. For example look at how strong the Gay Marriage support is in the northeast and New England. Even in the states that have yet to have Gay marriage (NY, NJ, RI) polls are strongly in favor of it. So east coast liberals fit that as well.

Overall I would say west coast liberals tend to be somewhat more live and let live, while east coast liberals tend to be a bit more fiery. Though I would say the difference is less pronounced than it use to be.

As far as southern & the mountain state liberals. I would say the southern liberals (Research Triangle, Austin, portions of Atlanta) are more of a mixed bag (with perhaps a slight lean to the east cost side for Atlanta & the Triangle due to the northerners that have moved there), while the Mountain liberals (Denver, Boulder) fit in perhaps more on the west cost side (especially with Boulder)

Old 02-12-2011, 11:52 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
west coast liberals are less in bed with unions, and the establishment of liberalism.. They are more socially liberal, and tend to not fall in line with EVERYTHING in the Democrat camp. I would say west coast liberals are less hardcore, and approach things politically one issue at a time.
WTF! The International Machinist Union, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, the United Farm Workers, the UAW, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the American Federation of Teachers, SEIU, Screen Actors Guild??? Hawaii, Washington, California and Nevada are four of the top 10 states for rate of unionization. As for the rest of your posts, do you just write the first thing that springs in your head or do you just make this stuff up out of whole cloth?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
WTF! The International Machinist Union, the International Longshore and Warehouse Union, the United Farm Workers, the UAW, the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees, the American Federation of Teachers, SEIU, Screen Actors Guild??? Hawaii, Washington, California and Nevada are four of the top 10 states for rate of unionization. As for the rest of your posts, do you just write the first thing that springs in your head or do you just make this stuff up out of whole cloth?

up until 2008 nevada was a red state and probably one of the most unionized in the nation true.. we're not talking about WEST coast as a whole.. we're talking about west coast liberals..
Also, Alaska which is very conservative is probably the most unionized overall..
.. so one has to wonder.. do YOU just make this stuff up out of whole cloth???
Union Membership, by States — Infoplease.com
i see less influence of unions in liberal parts of the west than I do liberal parts of the east.. and MORE unions in conservative parts of the west than conservative parts of the east

you never were good at understanding liberals.. so what makes you think you know what you're talking about more than a liberal? Perhaps you better get after Mrs. Palin to find out what all that unionization is doing in her home state to better understand conservatism before you start making yourself an expert on liberalism

check yo self foo

Last edited by boiseguy; 02-13-2011 at 12:23 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 12:10 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi View Post
I know New England is very liberal and the west coast (California) is liberal, but how are their forms of liberalism different
Let me make this really easy. The answer is, no!

When the Bay Area Center for Voting Research put together a study of the most liberal and conservative cities based upon voting records, only Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco broke into the top 10.

Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities

Old 02-13-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Let me make this really easy. The answer is, no!

When the Bay Area Center for Voting Research put together a study of the most liberal and conservative cities based upon voting records, only Berkeley, Oakland and San Francisco broke into the top 10.

Study Ranks America's Most Liberal and Conservative Cities
there are many faucets of "liberalism" just as there are in "conservatism"..the OP is wishing to understand the difference in a west coast liberal and east coast liberal... the point of this thread missed you.. wHooooosh.. that's the sound of the plot going right over your head..

FAIL

Old 02-13-2011, 12:36 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What about southern liberals in comparison to others?
Those two enjoy fishing together on Sundays.

Old 02-13-2011, 12:42 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
East Coast: live and let live. Having lived up and down the East Coast, I would say there's a distinct lack of activism, a basis in old money and the status quo, and a desire to just let people be whomever they are. Gay? Okay. Religious? Fine. Atheist? Whatever works. I think there's a great deal more fiscal pragmatism in the east.

I also think being a dense urban environment, the platitudes of conservatism just don't work pragmatically. You can see the rural West, as people move in to change the land and culture, realizing that having some control over what people can do and where they can do it is a great benefit. East Coast people crammed together learned that lesson generations ago and don't have the issues with government that other parts of the country do.

West Coast: I think this is more of an activist culture trying to push an agenda - to keep poking at the status quo until it gives way. East Coast people don't do this, but they tend to support the outcomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies