Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times

Advertisements

As a resident of the Northeast, I think Northeast liberals are condescending closet racists, extremely rude, and elitist in the way that they think they are superior to everyone else because they come from the most cosmopolitan, diverse part of the country.

I've never been to the west coast, but I would say based on the west coasters on this board, they are just as bad as the Northeast liberals, except they have an extreme pie-in-the-sky view on life that is not grounded in reality. Could be the large amount of pot that circulates in the west coast but hey, I'm just a religious nutjob Christian who's a token Uncle Tom/Juan that needs to learn his place in society or be booted back to his little Caribbean island if he's not gonna be useful at the voting booth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2011, 01:06 AM

401 posts, read 473,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
As a resident of the Northeast, I think Northeast liberals are condescending closet racists, extremely rude, and elitist in the way that they think they are superior to everyone else because they come from the most cosmopolitan, diverse part of the country.

I've never been to the west coast, but I would say based on the west coasters on this board, they are just as bad as the Northeast liberals, except they have an extreme pie-in-the-sky view on life that is not grounded in reality. Could be the large amount of pot that circulates in the west coast but hey, I'm just a religious nutjob Christian who's a token Uncle Tom/Juan that needs to learn his place in society or be booted back to his little Caribbean island if he's not gonna be useful at the voting booth
If you want a good laugh google: "south park, smug alert, season 10, episode 2"

I love the way Californians run around in their hybrids like they are saving the world. What are they gonna do when all those batteries die?

Old 02-13-2011, 01:09 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydog32 View Post
If you want a good laugh google: "south park, smug alert, season 10, episode 2"

I love the way Californians run around in their hybrids like they are saving the world. What are they gonna do when all those batteries die?
Oh I remember that. Hilarious.

Oh not to mention all that toxic chemicals it takes to manufacture them, and then eventually, dispose of them. Batteries don't last forever. You'd think that the liberals would catch on to the fact that batteries pollute a lot more than a diesel engine does. But, there you go

Old 02-13-2011, 01:12 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,393,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
What about southern liberals in comparison to others?
This is not what the OP asked. Start another thread.

Old 02-13-2011, 01:25 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Why does every post have to be so aggressive and demeaning? Why not just have a conversation?

Old 02-13-2011, 02:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
up until 2008 nevada was a red state and probably one of the most unionized in the nation true.. we're not talking about WEST coast as a whole.. we're talking about west coast liberals..
I'm sorry. Of course there are only three states on the "west coast" and I noted 2 of the three.

Quote:
Also, Alaska which is very conservative is probably the most unionized overall..
Third actually.

Quote:
.. so one has to wonder.. do YOU just make this stuff up out of whole cloth???
Ah, no I don't, but what I often neglect to do is to take the time to correct the misconceptions of those who have no background in the topics in which they erroneously opine. For example, in this case the history and influence of labor radicalism, especially the ILWU, UFW, UAW IAM in the development of the new left politics that are characteristic of west coast liberalism, which by the way isn't any different from those of the upper mid-west or east coast.

Quote:
i see less influence of unions in liberal parts of the west than I do liberal parts of the east.. and MORE unions in conservative parts of the west than conservative parts of the east
Would you care to point out those counties on the west coast that are both the most unionized and the most conservative?

Quote:
you never were good at understanding liberals.. so what makes you think you know what you're talking about more than a liberal?
If only that made the slightest bit of sense.

Last edited by ovcatto; 02-13-2011 at 02:20 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 02:30 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm sorry. Of course there are only three states on the "west coast" and I noted 2 of the three.

Third actually.

Ah, no I don't, but what I often neglect to do is to take the time to correct the misconceptions of those who have no background in the topics in which they erroneously opine. For example, in this case the history and influence of labor radicalism, especially the ILWU, UFW, UAW IAM in the development of the new left politics that are characteristic of west coast liberalism, which by the way isn't any different from those of the upper mid-west or east coast.

Would you care to point out those counties on the west coast that are both the most unionized and the most conservative?

If only that made the slightest bit of sense.
You're taking the position that because there is unionization history in liberal movements on the west coast that it is a heavy influence on liberalism today out west and that's just not true. Aside from Nevada, presidential candidates have never had to appeal to the likes of labor organizations out west like they have back east. The entire movement of labor unionization began in the industrialized centers of the east and is very much part of the establishment there MUCH more than any place out west. Labor is not as a divisive issue for west coast liberals as it is for east.. i'm sorry.. I realize the history is there for it's existence but to say that it is the same is just not true...which is my point from the beginning until you decided to make this a pissing match by attacking my OPINION to the OP's question...
you're entitled to yours.. and I'm entitled to mine.. I happen to be liberal for the most part and grew up in seattle which is pretty west coast.

You haven't expressed ONCE in this thread what your opinion is in the difference between a west coast and east coast liberal is in your eyes, you've only attacked people's opinions. So please enlighten us with your expertise on liberalism with an opinion before you go on the hunt..

Last edited by boiseguy; 02-13-2011 at 02:51 AM..

Old 02-13-2011, 07:38 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,905,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
west coast liberals are less in bed with unions, and the establishment of liberalism.. They are more socially liberal, and tend to not fall in line with EVERYTHING in the Democrat camp. I would say west coast liberals are less hardcore, and approach things politically one issue at a time.
I've lived both in Seattle and NY and my experience of west coast liberals is a little different. I found west coast liberals to be much less tolerant of anything that doesn't fall in line with an extremely left ideology, although I would agree that I found them more socially liberal than east coast liberals. I personally find east coast liberals to be more pragmatic and more likely to consider how policies work with each other than their west coast counterparts. Again, only in my experience, I found I was frequently chastised for being "too centrist" when I lived in Seattle as opposed to a more "live and let live" approach in the east. Of course, there are exceptions to both of these stereotypes.

To answer the "who's more PC" question, I would say definitely west coast!!

Old 02-13-2011, 10:15 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,450,395 times
I've always lived on the east coast, never lived on the west coast, so my impression is that east coast liberals are children of FDR. Pro-union, pro-government regulation of the economy, suspicious of big business, etc. Whereas west coast liberals are more children of the 60s. Questioning the establishment, suspicious of government bureaucracy, more politically activist, more socially liberal than their east coast counterparts.

Overall I don't think the differences are THAT great, and certainly not as great as the social conservative / economic libertarian divide in the Republican party.

Old 02-13-2011, 10:56 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I've lived both in Seattle and NY and my experience of west coast liberals is a little different. I found west coast liberals to be much less tolerant of anything that doesn't fall in line with an extremely left ideology, although I would agree that I found them more socially liberal than east coast liberals. I personally find east coast liberals to be more pragmatic and more likely to consider how policies work with each other than their west coast counterparts. Again, only in my experience, I found I was frequently chastised for being "too centrist" when I lived in Seattle as opposed to a more "live and let live" approach in the east. Of course, there are exceptions to both of these stereotypes.

To answer the "who's more PC" question, I would say definitely west coast!!
I definitely agree with that bolded statement. I think West Coast is out to make a statement and, like the extreme conservatives who regularly post here, just assume they're 100% right without any need for debate or discussion. I think East Coast has just found liberalism to be a natural and logical fit for a dense, diverse urban population.

I also think the ties to labor on the East Coast, while perhaps once strong, are fading as unions shrink in relative size, industry has given way to more modern industries locally, and some (cough...teachersunion...cough) have just gotten way out of control with their demands.

I think the person who said East Coast liberals tend to be more FDR oriented and West Coast tend to be more 60s revolution oriented is pretty accurate.

Last edited by Bluefly; 02-13-2011 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies