Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 07:49 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Here's what I'll tell you in cities without large black populations on a percentage basis like Seattle, Los Angeles and Denver there were Black Americans elected mayor before there were Black American mayors in places like New York, and Philadelphia. And lets' be honest what's the chances of seeing a Black Mayor in a place like Boston? In California a place where Black Americans make up 6.2% of the population just elected a Black American female attorney general. In short it would seem that people of other ethnicities seem more open to voting for Black, Asian and Latino politicians to offices in Western states across racial lines than is likely on the East Coast.
In Mass, we do have our first black governor and Cali has had two movie star governors. We have also had a female governor (she was the first to give birth while in office too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 07:56 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,070,009 times
Like so many arguments on C-D, this has become just down right silly. The difference is that west coast liberals are on the west coast and east coast liberals are on the one in the east. Can we move on now?

On edit, west coast liberals make better wine, and are into more organic foods, while east coast liberals like to drink west coast wine and eat whatever they damn well please.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,894,387 times
The west coast is not so anti-business really as I see it.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:54 PM

1,361 posts, read 3,715,973 times
I agree that West Coast liberals are more supportive of lifestyle choices like gay rights and freedom to use marijuana. I'm from San Francisco and I live on the East Coast and almost everybody out here looks at SF as being weird because they have been told that The City is a gay mecca. However, the fact that there is a sizable gay population in SF is one of the last things that most people from California and the West Coast associate with San Francisco. Liberals on the West Coast couldn't care less about what someone's sexual orientation may be. That is the mature way to look at it. On the other hand, even the most liberal East Coast native might lose sleep at night knowing he lived next door to several gay couples.

Old 04-16-2011, 08:55 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,960,503 times
New England is more liberal than anywhere on the West Coast (except for maybe San Francisco). Most New England states have gay marriage, union protection, and is the least religious area of the country. That's what I love about it. We're more advanced than the rest of the country.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:33 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
One is 20% of the population the other is about 21% of the population.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
New England is more liberal than anywhere on the West Coast (except for maybe San Francisco). Most New England states have gay marriage, union protection, and is the least religious area of the country. That's what I love about it. We're more advanced than the rest of the country.
Gay marriage in Massachusetts was not voted into existence, it was made legal by a judge. In fact polls show that the majority of the state would not back it. Even today.

RealClearPolitics - Massachusetts Gay Marriage: Five Years Later

Why do you think gay marriage means progress? Progressing to where?

Old 04-16-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolehboleh View Post
In Mass, we do have our first black governor and Cali has had two movie star governors. We have also had a female governor (she was the first to give birth while in office too)
Actually re-elected. JazzyTallGuy is clueless.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 PM

1,529 posts, read 1,728,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Gay marriage in Massachusetts was not voted into existence, it was made legal by a judge. In fact polls show that the majority of the state would not back it. Even today.

RealClearPolitics - Massachusetts Gay Marriage: Five Years Later

Why do you think gay marriage means progress? Progressing to where?
Progress towards equality

Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,886,108 times
East coast: I probably disagree with and look down on your life choices, but think you should have full legal right to make them as you will

West coast: Don't tell me what to do and don't disapprove of me when I do what I want in public, whatever it is.

Having lived on both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies