Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 12:06 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I'm sorry, I was wrong. She called them "Nazis". But not to derail this thread..just google it and watch her on the youtube video.

It was Obama's DHS which sent out warnings to local law enforcement saying that Tea Party people fit the category of Domestic Terrorists along with such groups as militias and such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2011, 12:08 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Not only that, but they pay less than half a percent towards their pension. As I've said a couple times today, Walker's reforms would still require teachers and state workers to pay much less than the average private sector employee.
The UAW pulled this on GM early on when the recession just started.

See how that one ended ? The government bent over backwards to protect the union and it was at the shareholder/bondholder's expense.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:09 PM

78,436 posts, read 60,640,522 times
If the public workers don't want to take the cuts....I say we just lay off 10% and force the rest to work extra hours for the same pay.

It's funny how in a tough economy and all the private sector layoffs, wage freezes or cuts and declining benefits that the public sector (paid by a decreased tax pool due to private sector woes) doesn't want to share the pain.

They have the right to protest, we have the right to elect officials that will balance budgets.

3,681 posts, read 6,276,435 times
Quote:
The November elections were all about getting our financial houses back in shape.
Now that this is happening the Dems run scared..literally RUN scared.

Obama should be asking those WI Dems to return and do their jobs to the best of their abilities, not aiding and abetting an illegal strike by teachers.
Exactly. He certainly seems to be aiding and abetting "illegal" activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
It was Obama's DHS which sent out warnings to local law enforcement saying that Tea Party people fit the category of Domestic Terrorists along with such groups as militias and such.
Yeah. I forget after a while which govenment agency/elected official targets us and which enemy labels they give us.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:11 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,229,581 times
Quote:
The UAW pulled this on GM early on when the recession just started.

See how that one ended ? The government bent over backwards to protect the union and it was at the shareholder/bondholder's expense.
Instead of the bondholders being screwed, now its students. I wonder how long parents will stand for this. Some schools have been closed for three days.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
If the public workers don't want to take the cuts....I say we just lay off 10% and force the rest to work extra hours for the same pay.

It's funny how in a tough economy and all the private sector layoffs, wage freezes or cuts and declining benefits that the public sector (paid by a decreased tax pool due to private sector woes) doesn't want to share the pain.

They have the right to protest, we have the right to elect officials that will balance budgets.
Actually no they don't. The WI teacher's union is not allowed to strike.
That's why this is labeled a non union condoned sick out.
And they are doing their "protest" on the clock when school should be in session. They need to follow their own rules, don't you agree ?

ForemostPanda: the teachers union is not allowed to strike. they have

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
...and what are they really protesting?
The right to collective bargaining.

Any other questions that I can help you with?

3,189 posts, read 4,984,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

This is what the Governor has been saying.....either you help pay a tiny percentage more towards your benefits or we'll have to send some of your colleagues pink slips.

It's really not so unreasonable at all.

Old 02-18-2011, 12:16 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
The right to collective bargaining.

Any other questions that I can help you with?
Well, the right to maintain exclusive collective bargaining. Under this bill they continue to retain collective bargaining for their salaries just not for additional benefits. I know, pesky details are in the truth of the matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies