Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 PM

48,502 posts, read 97,009,245 times

Advertisements

My guewss is because their is still demands for inch measurement. Ask any hardware salesman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 04:57 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,007,942 times
I just wish so called American cars would just be metric or SAE threads, and not both on the same dam car.

I have SAE tooling, Metric tooling and even British Std tooling.

Sometimes a real rusty 3/4 inch cap bolt will fit a 18mm wrench pretty good, and then sometimes I get into the really wacky British Standard wrenches if I am in a real bind.

From 1/4 inch to 1 inch I can convert to metric with out any real thinking.
But man how I hate GM crappola with both SAE and metric on the same vehical.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:08 PM

3,320 posts, read 4,143,657 times
OK, so how many newtons of corn to they husk off a hectare in the Ukraine ? That is why food costs 10 times as much over there. If they would change it so they get 150 bushels per acre on each 640 acres per sq/mile then it would work out right. The only problem I can see would arise from them drinking the corn liquor by the gallon instead of by the litre, that might set them back where they started from.

President Ford made the call back in 1975 to stick with the english system, now the average American is at least 50 pounds heavier than in 1975........see the connection.

Green Acres is the place to be..........

Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,526,429 times
Equally good question, why haven't people finally got a clue and realize that since there are twenty-four hours in a day, they should tell time accordingly, and ditch the absurd a.m. p.m. crap. Digital watches are in abundance nowadays.... no more excuses for why we should be using the 12 hour system anymore.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:18 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,047,379 times
convert construction material and tools to metric would cost billions. we already have it with the new european high end cabinets made with metric machines but we mostly ignore it and measure everything with the old inches and feet tape. most of my high end carpentry tools and machinery are calibrated in inches and no way I could aford to replace them,plus buying an 8 foot 1x6 and ripping it down to 4 inches with a 1/4 inch roundover is way to simple dont need no stinken metric to mess that up

Old 02-21-2011, 06:52 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,592,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomThroughAnarchism View Post
Equally good question, why haven't people finally got a clue and realize that since there are twenty-four hours in a day, they should tell time accordingly, and ditch the absurd a.m. p.m. crap. Digital watches are in abundance nowadays.... no more excuses for why we should be using the 12 hour system anymore.
That's funny. I always have my watch set to the 24h clock, and when people ask to look at my watch for the time, so often they have no idea what it is. Even my young kids can read a 24h clock for goodness sake.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:08 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,305,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Thanks for the link. Somehow I don't think they will embrace "Baconday" anytime soon.

That is true. Most Chinese women I know are size zero and, even then, they often have trouble finding things small enough to fit them.
Its also just pure vanity. Just think how it makes you feel when you try on a size 2 jeans and they fit when you wear a 4. Great gradification. Actually you ARE wearing a 4 they just renamed it.

But your much more likely to buy the brand where you wear the 2 just because it makes you feel so good.

I love the way overstock does sizes. You look up on the chart with measurements. they are in both inches and metric. No vanity sizing or do it yourself standard, each brand is resized by the company. I bought a dress which fit so perfectly I couldn't have done better if I had tried it on first.

I have not had such good luck with shoes, but that for some reason, vanity not seeming like one thats probable, do not seem to have any kind of "standard".

Old 02-21-2011, 07:18 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,162,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
convert construction material ....
That right there is very good point and would be big issue as we have so many buildings standard sizing. Theoretically a house could last for centuries, you'd always have a need for 2 by's and 4X8 plywood and other materials for hundreds of years.

Old 02-21-2011, 07:37 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,962,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
OK, so how many newtons of corn to they husk off a hectare in the Ukraine ? That is why food costs 10 times as much over there. If they would change it so they get 150 bushels per acre on each 640 acres per sq/mile then it would work out right. The only problem I can see would arise from them drinking the corn liquor by the gallon instead of by the litre, that might set them back where they started from.

President Ford made the call back in 1975 to stick with the english system, now the average American is at least 50 pounds heavier than in 1975........see the connection.

Green Acres is the place to be..........
A "Newton" is a metric measurement of force, not a measurement of volume.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newton_(unit)

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 02-21-2011 at 07:47 PM..

Old 02-21-2011, 07:41 PM

613 posts, read 816,871 times
Canada converted to metric in the 70's and despite dire warnings to the contrary, no one died and the sun came up in the morning.

All my schooling was in the "imperial system" (mostly identical to the American system except for liquid measurement).

The metric system is so simple that converting as an adult was nearly effortless. The trick is to not to try convert in your head. Once you have a feeling for the length of a metre, the weight of a kilogram, the feel of 0,10,or 20 degrees Celsius, you pretty much have it. There is no need to remember 12 inches in a foot, 3 feet in a yard, 1760 yards in a mile, etc.

There is just one thing my old brain will not grasp. Coming from a farming background, I always had a good feel for what an acre was. For the life of me, I'll never be able to picture a hectare in my mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies