Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 04:28 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy8876 View Post
The problem is they didn't allow the Muslims enough freedom to do their own thing and respect their own ways.

Hopefully in America we can prove those EU countries wrong by having higher Muslim immigration so they can feel more comfortable and establishing curriculum's that are more inclusive of their beliefs.

It's due to the intolerance of the school this event happened.

Just recently I was unhappy with my son's teacher so I gathered together a group of my closets friends and we slashed her with knives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:59 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,350,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
I hear this quite a bit. I'm afraid I don't know what people mean by it though. Are you suggesting laws that discriminate against Muslims? Are you suggesting we take all Muslims and throw them into concentration camps (for their own good, of course)? If a Muslim family moves into my neighborhood, should I throw rocks through their windows?

Please - give me an example of what type of action you think we should be taking.

Having a reasonable discussion about Muslims with someone who compares them to baseball fans or the Amish isn't possible. Should we have laws that discriminate against Muslims? If that's what we need to do to keep the public safe and maintain our way of life then we absolutely should. I know what your next response will be. Where does that end? What other group should we single out? The answer would be any fanatical group that kills people on a large scale because they disagree with them.

Old 02-22-2011, 05:05 AM

256 posts, read 216,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Quote:
We need to stop changing our culture and ways to adapt to the growth of the Muslim population and they need to adjust to our culture and ways.

Quote:
How does the Muslim anti-acculturation differ from that of some other groups, say the Amish? I've heard they handle most of their community based problems internal to the community, without getting the law involved at all.

Well, the Amish don't stone women, cut off hands or noses or ears.
So only some cultures need to adjust to our culture and ways then? Doesn't it seem fair that if we deem it important, all cultures would need to adjust? Or would the need to adjust be based on the "violence" of the culture?

Old 02-22-2011, 05:34 AM

256 posts, read 216,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Having a reasonable discussion about Muslims with someone who compares them to baseball fans or the Amish isn't possible. Should we have laws that discriminate against Muslims? If that's what we need to do to keep the public safe and maintain our way of life then we absolutely should. I know what your next response will be. Where does that end? What other group should we single out? The answer would be any fanatical group that kills people on a large scale because they disagree with them.
One could equally argue that it isn't possible to have a discussion with someone who would want to discriminate against an entire religion because there exists an element of extremism within that religion. I'm not trying to discount the extremist elements that exist. But I'm getting the impression that the reason you don't want to discuss the issue isn't that I'm making poor comparisons, but rather that you don't really have an answer to solving the problem. I hear a lot of "we need to do ...", but very little in the way of how to do it. One of the seemingly solid ideas I've heard is to reduce immigration from certain countries. Another one is to not afford Muslims special accommodations where they are not warranted (such as in schools).

We have a constitution that governs our country. European countries do not have some of our freedoms and still have problems. It's easy to say we should have laws that discriminate, but how is this going to happen? Muslims need to adapt to our culture, but how? Unless we have actual solutions of how to make some of these idea work, that's all they are - ideas.

We are a nation of laws. We punish those who break the law. Is there really any difference between a gang of Muslims who beat up someone and a gang of (insert race here) that beats up someone? As far as I know, our laws say that those people will go to prison. Does the reason behind the beating make a difference?

If we are seriously honest about the need to deal with this issue before it becomes a problem, then we need to have workable solutions. And that means that the solutions need to fit within our constitutional framework.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:31 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I do think that PCness caused the army to ignore the many warning signs that indicated that the Ft. Hood shooter was a ticking time bomb. I never said anything about it with regard to carving people up though. Try to keep up....
Yes, but is your belief based in any kind of fact?

Old 02-22-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
How many Beck watchers are prepared to commit homicide bombings for the Beckster? Get educated there is a BIG difference.
They are cut from the same cloth. In a less civilized country, they would act just as the Muslim terrorists do.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Right. Horrific violence against a teacher doing his job equates to watching a T.V. show. Hope you're not called to jury duty any time soon.
It's the same mindset:

That the world is a black and white place, that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

In other words, extremism. It differs only in the degree to which people are willing to express their extremism.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:45 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reg So View Post
So only some cultures need to adjust to our culture and ways then? Doesn't it seem fair that if we deem it important, all cultures would need to adjust? Or would the need to adjust be based on the "violence" of the culture?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
They are cut from the same cloth. In a less civilized country, they would act just as the Muslim terrorists do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
It's the same mindset:

That the world is a black and white place, that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

In other words, extremism. It differs only in the degree to which people are willing to express their extremism.
Well, we are a civilized country, and have only been around just over 200 years. These other cultures have been around thousands, that is a long learning curve.

American extremists don't cut off noses, hands, ears. We don't stone people. Women are just as free as men, and cannot be owned.

Watching a TV show and carving people up like turkey dinner cannot be viewed the same way.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Well, we are a civilized country, and have only been around just over 200 years. These other cultures have been around thousands, that is a long learning curve.

American extremists don't cut off noses, hands, ears. We don't stone people. Women are just as free as men, and cannot be owned.

Watching a TV show and carving people up like turkey dinner cannot be viewed the same way.
Sure they can.

It's only a matter of degree.

In another context, your average frothing, drooling right wing loonie could be violent. They've even implied as much themselves from time to time.

And they do occassionally blow up a building full of civilians.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,031,367 times
I'd love to know how the apologetic media reported this in Great Britain. I've made this recommendation before, read "While Europe Slept" by Bruce Bawer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies