Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
Yep, baseball fans buy shirts with team colors and slogans, and talk loud.

Muslims, cut off noses, hands, ears, stone people to death, fly planes into buildings, blow up themselves and others.

Same thing. Just a different level of extremism.

Just the other day a group of Red Sox fans were caught trying to blow up Yankee Stadium. Didn't you hear about that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 09:07 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I like the way you edited the post that you quoted. What's the matter? Why can't you answer that question? Why the deflection?
I also love they way that you assumed that I wasn't intelligent enough to understand what binary thinking is. Thank you for giving me the remedial version. They think the same way? Your reply is very weak. You edit the post because you don't want to answer the question and then you show that this is your opinion and is not based on facts.
I don't recall editing a quote. I may have left out part I didn't think relevant or didn't care to respond to. You'll get over it.

I don't assume anything about your intelligence, I just observe the content and tenor of your posts.

The DO think the same way. You can call my theory weak, but can you prove me wrong? Zealots share certain mental and emotional characteristics, regardless of beliefs, be they communists, fundamentalists Baptists or Islamic terrorists.

A plague on all their houses. They are truly what is wrong with the world.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:12 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I don't recall editing a quote. I may have left out part I didn't think relevant or didn't care to respond to. You'll get over it.

I don't assume anything about your intelligence, I just observe the content and tenor of your posts.

The DO think the same way. You can call my theory weak, but can you prove me wrong? Zealots share certain mental and emotional characteristics, regardless of beliefs, be they communists, fundamentalists Baptists or Islamic terrorists.

How about people who equate baseball fans and mass murderers ?

Interesting, a 9 year-old who collects baseball cards and Ted Bundy?

Old 02-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
How about people who equate baseball fans and mass murderers ?
They aren't "equating."

Quote:
Interesting, a 9 year-old who collects baseball cards and Ted Bundy?
I think you missed the point.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:

I see. So something that makes your posts look more ridiculous than they already do on their own isn't relevant or maybe you didn't care to respond. Thanks for clarifying that.
I don't need to prove your theory that baseball fans and the Amish should be compared to Muslims because it's gelastic (oh sorry....laugh provoking) on it's own. No proof is needed. As you can see there isn't too much support for it in this thread.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
They aren't "equating."

Yeah, I see the point. But, you over emphasis 'the point'.

There is a big difference between, thinking about doing something, and doing something.

Baseball fans are passionate, but they don't kill people on a large scale.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
I see. So something that makes your posts look more ridiculous than they already do on their own isn't relevant or maybe you didn't care to respond. Thanks for clarifying that.

If it helps you with your self-esteem, I'm happy to oblige you.

Quote:
I don't need to prove your theory that baseball fans and the Amish should be compared to Muslims because it's gelastic (oh sorry....laugh provoking) on it's own. No proof is needed. As you can see there isn't too much support for it in this thread.
Baseball fans weren't part of my theory, someone else came up with that.

I don't consider the Amish to be zealots or extremists, someone else came up with that one, too.

You've lost the plot.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Yeah, I see the point. But, you over emphasis 'the point'.
Well I have to, don't I, amidst the flurry of misattribution and straw man arguments around here.

Quote:
There is a big difference between, thinking about doing something, and doing something.
I agree. That why I said zealots all think in similar ways

Quote:
Baseball fans are passionate, but they don't kill people on a large scale.
I don't care about baseball fans.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
They aren't "equating."

I think you have no point.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
It's the same mindset:

That the world is a black and white place, that they are right and everyone else is wrong.

In other words, extremism. It differs only in the degree to which people are willing to express their extremism.
Originally Posted by Rick Roma
One could argue whatever they want. I just happen to think that it's beyond ridiculous to compare people who are killing in the name of their religion to baseball fans.

Quote:
And one could argue that fanaticism is fanaticism, and it may express itself differently in different contexts.
You didn't bring it up but you did compare them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies