Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 06:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You might want to include boomers as well. They are just starting to hit 65 this year.
No way is there enough SS for the largest generation to start retiring.
NO one has ever missed a SS check. It is solvent until 2037...and I regularly cash my comfy SS check with no problem....and will quit receiving it(die) long before 2037.

The Repugs are , AGAIN, using scare tactics to get their hands on SS money to invest it with their cohorts on Wall Street...to pilfer the money average Anmericas invest in their future so that the wealthy can get wealthier....

Try looking up facts and the Repugs won't be so scary....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
If I were "benevolent dictator for life", I'd order the return of all monies taken from social security be returned with interest. That should stabilize it for another 20 or 30 years. To make up for the defecits that would cause I'd cut spending on social programs big time. have a time limit for welfare, say 3 or 4 years depending on a persons ability to work. Anybody on public assistance would have to clean the streets, clear brush, clean up grafiti, etc. I would still have food stamps available but no money allowances.
This would be a huge boon for churches who run charities. People would be in the pews again, thats for sure.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:03 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,057,017 times
I love how people can rationalize taking social security because they have paid in for so long, and would fight for the money they expect from it after paying, while rationalizing at the same time that those in younger generations shouldn't expect this "entitlement" because it wasn't a guarantee. They completely ignore the statements people in younger generations get as well that state "You have paid in X amount, here is your monthly expected payment based on this number".

Old 03-05-2011, 08:14 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I love how people can rationalize taking social security because they have paid in for so long, and would fight for the money they expect from it after paying, while rationalizing at the same time that those in younger generations shouldn't expect this "entitlement" because it wasn't a guarantee. They completely ignore the statements people in younger generations get as well that state "You have paid in X amount, here is your monthly expected payment based on this number".
What should be done is just end the program - but pay back those who already put their money in. Instead of paying so-called refugees from other countries huge money to come here and live the good life -- and the government seems to have billions of dollars for that, just give Americans back our money.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:35 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
The people that pay into a ponzi scheme late always end up getting stuck.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
This is an interesting article on the subject.
next-in-line-for-a-bailout-social-security: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/focus-retirement/article/108747/next-in-line-for-a-bailout-social-security?mod=fidelity-readytoretire - broken link)

Old 03-05-2011, 10:10 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Offsetdude View Post
For about 50 years the US and the USSR spent TRILLIONS building for a war BOTH governments KNEW was NEVER going to happen.

Many of our modern conveniences can be directly or indirectly attributed to the war machine.
Many of those conveniences came from research universities. Not really directly attributed to the "war machine". In fact, most conveniences are not directly attributed to the "war machine". The internet...not from the "war machine". Most medicines, nope. Cell phones...not really.

War typically is not a good innovator. War is good for repurposing existing tech for war.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:14 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
Why are gen X's lumped into this? I find that it's the Y's that believe we need to serve them-and they are entitled tot hat 100K job right out of college.
What?! Great misconception. I think that we shouldn't be in 100k in debt working 30k a year after college. Nobody I know thought about making 100k right out of college. In fact, we all realized that poverty will be a long road.

However thanks to the credit industry, we can borrow more in order to have the same lifestyle that our parents had, except with more debt and less assurance of stability. The American Dream: a precarious middle class saddled with debt.

Old 03-05-2011, 11:22 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
What should be done is just end the program - but pay back those who already put their money in .
You couldn't just end it, you would have to ramp it down over a century with people still paying into the system who could expect less and less benefits.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:10 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You couldn't just end it, you would have to ramp it down over a century with people still paying into the system who could expect less and less benefits.
SS would actually be quite easy to save. The key is to get benefits into line with contributions. Scrap the disability boondoggle and the spousal benefit. Stop or restrict survivor benefits. Base the max benefit on 45 years of earnings, not the current 35.

The only people who would be affected by those changes are ones who don't pay their fair share into the system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies