Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

Japanese people don't loot because they help each other. It's as simple as that. It's part of their way of life. The group is more important than the individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:52 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,293,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
I suspect they'd probably say there's no need being afraid if you're obeying the law...and don't stick your nose in someone elses business!
Rednecks + alcohol + guns = disaster. I'm not going to stick around to hear what these nutcases say or do.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:53 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb Jill...Thank You For A Breath Of Sanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
You'd better hope you're never trapped in freezing cold flood waters or you will surely eat those words. Along with some stolen food. On your way to find dry clothing.
And for seeing that a lot of this is just a bunch of flexing and mouth-running...some people just love to swell up and act bad and talk a bunch of trash on a chat forum...

Japan just suffered through an 8.9 earthquake...the worst that country has suffered in 140 years...lives have been lost, giant waves and aftershocks are STILL pounding the country...some of the images I've seen today, of the destruction and suffering, will haunt me for quite some time...

But all people here want to do is start some lame-o discussion about 'no rioting and looting in Japan', and attempt to do a side by side with what happened during Katrina, so they can have yet another excuse to trot out the usual warmed-over, tired-out codespeak remarks about 'blacks this and blacks that'...give it a rest already...all that shouting and screaming and chest beating gets pointless and annoying after a while

Old 03-11-2011, 09:54 PM

2,079 posts, read 4,952,645 times
The Japanese rioted, looted and killed each other over rice:

Rice Riots of 1918 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by dorado0359; 03-11-2011 at 09:57 PM.. Reason: ...

Old 03-11-2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Curious why I haven't heard any news reports of looting, rioting or civil unrest in Japan? Japan not only suffered a Tsunami/Flooding, but also an 8.9 quake?

This disaster makes Katrina look like a day at the park. Yet, you would never know how horrible things were from the civility and calm that Japanese citizens display during this horrible catastrophe.

If they can conduct themselves in such an honorable way, maybe there's something citizens from other countries can learn from Japan?
Nuclear reactors are leaking in Japan. Looting is the last thing I'm going to worry about.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:57 PM

Japanese look to the future, and consider the effects.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Japanese look to the future, and consider the effects.
5 of their nuclear reactors have been deemed to be in emergency state, one is already leaking. Did they ever consider these effects? Japan might not have a future.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:07 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
And for seeing that a lot of this is just a bunch of flexing and mouth-running...some people just love to swell up and act bad and talk a bunch of trash on a chat forum...

Japan just suffered through an 8.9 earthquake...the worst that country has suffered in 140 years...lives have been lost, giant waves and aftershocks are STILL pounding the country...some of the images I've seen today, of the destruction and suffering, will haunt me for quite some time...

But all people here want to do is start some lame-o discussion about 'no rioting and looting in Japan', and attempt to do a side by side with what happened during Katrina, so they can have yet another excuse to trot out the usual warmed-over, tired-out codespeak remarks about 'blacks this and blacks that'...give it a rest already...all that shouting and screaming and chest beating gets pointless and annoying after a while
Exactly. Instead of showing sympathy for the victims of this quake and tsunami or looking at why Japanese society and the government is more prepared to handle large-scale natural disasters---especially considering that their island is particularly prone to earthquakes, people just want to turn this into another racial smack down thread.

It's just like when after the Haiti earthquake when there was a glut of posts asking why Haiti suffered massive damage while the Dominican Republic suffered little damage or casualties. Inferring that it was because Haiti was primarily black and the DR more of a Hispanic mix---when in fact the main reason was that the earthquake hit almost directly under Port-Au-Prince and wasn't close to any population centers or towns in the Dominican Republic.

Here's a good article about why this awful disaster could have been worse...maybe we can take a lesson in why having a government and society that cares about it's people is a good thing.

How Japan Became a Leader in Disaster Preparation - TIME

Old 03-11-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
5 of their nuclear reactors have been deemed to be in emergency state, one is already leaking. Did they ever consider these effects? Japan might not have a future.
Yellowstone is due to explode amd will almost totally wipe out the USA. Seattle is due for an earthquake that will destroy it. Can you prepare for everything? I don't think so.

I was speaking about looting destroying local businesses and families.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:14 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post

If you don't like the thread, fell free to pull up the anchor and set sail Captain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies