Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2011, 10:18 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

Of course not.

They are a very conservative society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 10:33 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Yakuza members have been elected as mayors and members of parliament. During the Kobe earthquake the Kobe-based Yamaguchi-gumi organized crime group provided mineral water, powdered milk, fresh eggs, bread and diapers to thousands of quake victims. Meals were given out in the parking lot next to Yamaguchi-gumi headquarters at a rate of 8,000 a day. Many Kobe residents said they did a better job providing help than the government.

YAKUZA AND ORGANIZED CRIME IN JAPAN - Japan | Facts and Details

Old 03-11-2011, 11:22 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,682,437 times
Lightbulb Hmmm...Lemme Think About That

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
If you don't like the thread, fell free to pull up the anchor and set sail Captain.
Uhhh...nope...think I'll hang around for a while and exercise that good ol' American pastime known as---freedom of speech...

And as a rebuttal, if you don't like what I'm saying, you're within your rights to disagree, as you just did...but know that I will continue to speak up, and out, wherever and whenever I see fit...

I will sleep very well tonight, knowing that I can speak out whenever I feel like it, and that there's nothing you can really do about it, except sit somewhere and try to compose an allegedly witty comeback...

Folks just tickle me, thinking that they're going to silence me with a simple one-line post...notttt gonna happen

Old 03-11-2011, 11:31 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,806,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post
Cute. Victims in flood waters taking dry clothing and shoes and a bunch of low-lives threatening to kill them. You must be so proud of your kind.

I don't begrudge them taking food, even beer,
but somehow I don't think they were gonna eat
shopping carts full of running shoes or flat screens.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,952,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
I don't begrudge them taking food, even beer,
but somehow I don't think they were gonna eat
shopping carts full of running shoes or flat screens.
How exactly were they going to run those TV's anyway?

Old 03-11-2011, 11:41 PM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Many of them are not American citizens. Desperate measures in desperate times. People come here illegally and can't get work. Crime seems to be the next logical step to survive.

Coming here "Illegally" was the first crime.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:47 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Curious why I haven't heard any news reports of looting, rioting or civil unrest in Japan? Japan not only suffered a Tsunami/Flooding, but also an 8.9 quake?

This disaster makes Katrina look like a day at the park. Yet, you would never know how horrible things were from the civility and calm that Japanese citizens display during this horrible catastrophe.

If they can conduct themselves in such an honorable way, maybe there's something citizens from other countries can learn from Japan?
Hard to riot when you're dead.

I've lived in Japan and know a little bit about the culture.
They're going to help and support each other. They're going to insure that there's something to eat and support provided for those affected.
That's quite different from the US and the way it behaves with its citizens.

They're also used to weather problems. The area is an earthquake zone; they occasionally get hit with typhoons.

The biggest difference, though, is that their society will take care of everyone.

The US could learn something from that.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:48 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Looting vs Finding.

snopes.com: Loot Loops

Old 03-11-2011, 11:50 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
This thread is a great lesson in extreme political correctness.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yep, not like here were everything is a "right".
Know anything about Japan? Anything at all.
What you're going to find is that they will take care of their suffering by providing food, shelter and clothing to the victims.

That's so much more helpful than providing platitudes and epithets to those most severely affected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies