Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wTyI9xqy7U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGcPR...eature=related

No you don't need to be abe to speak Japanese to get the joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Because the survivors bought everything vaguely useful as soon as they could so there was nothing left to steal?
Apparently you do not know the Japanese and have never been to Japan. While they were certainly brutal to other nations in WW2, they are very orderly, civilized people who have a low crime rate.

New Orleans, on the other hand........................

Old 03-14-2011, 10:20 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,837,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Apparently you do not know the Japanese and have never been to Japan. While they were certainly brutal to other nations in WW2, they are very orderly, civilized people who have a low crime rate.

New Orleans, on the other hand........................
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
That is a little different from raping, killing, and robbing your fellow man. I personally would rather die than to be a part of a "culture" that found such activities acceptable. I guess that is the difference between you and me.

Aye, I see animals as food. I guess you're a vegetarian?

I've been married to a Japanese lady for 17 years. We live in Seattle. Her family is going through the stuff we are watching on TV.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Why are we even asking this question?

Report the news. If there's looting, then report it. Do they want looting to happen?

There's plenty to report about over there without trying to start up more problems.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 AM

2,039 posts, read 3,280,659 times
Because George Bush didn't cause the earthquake like he made Katrina and steered it straight at NO.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:24 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,657,967 times
Lol, why is this online British newspaper article full of crazy racist American trolls pushing their own agenda, how did they find out about it?! There are more comments from Americans than Brits!

Old 03-14-2011, 10:25 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
I was being sarcastic. The Japanese culture to my best estimate is very considerate of their neighbors and simply do not loot because it is just not done. It is likely to be considered shameful to even think about looting.

New Orleans was a lawless environment that included the police stealing lawfully owned firearms so people looted for fun and profit. This is imposed control breaking down. The Japanese practice internal behavior control so the Law is ingrained and not imposed.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:28 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,450,261 times
Oh come on, at a time as this, with so very much devestation, and to see what other people have also endured, the Japanese are not one's to cast being ignorant as others may think. I have very good friends living there right now, so worried about them.

With what most of them have gone thru, i think looting, is not on the top of their list believe me! My friends say that most Japanese, are very caring civilized people.

Old 03-14-2011, 10:18 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,273,634 times
I think right now with the after shocks and nuclear reactor that exploded or ? (I don't know the correct word) most of the people we see on TV are what the military would call "shell shocked". Many have lost everything including families, and more than a few have watched their neighbors and friends be swept away in the Sunami .

The US immediately sent war ships with men and supplies. Search and Rescue teams from around the world are converging on Japan with cadavar and search animals and equipment. The Ham Radio operators are working to establish more connections. The wreckage left behind is ten feet high is some places. There are people trapped in houses and all they ask for is water. There is none to give.

The Japanese were ill-prepared for an event of this magnitude that had not happened in 300 years. They don't have any large earth moving equipment like the CAT tractors or mining trucks - the kinds of "tools" that can move mountains of debris in short order. Even if they did, where will they put the miles and miles of debris? Japan is a small country.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb4000 View Post
When you grow up in poverty, you loot. It's not rocket science, nor am I saying it's right. But it is what it is.
No, there are poor places that are not crime-ridden, as I found when doing a study on different neighborhoods in Grad School. It's the quality of people living there, though the PC crowd will never admit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies