Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 07:13 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,887,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuoko View Post
I am a naturalized American citizen of partial Japanese ancestry. Japanese people, especially their mentality and culture, even stand out amongst other Asian cultures. Japanese society is ingrained and indeed bound to an honor code of sorts. One which encompasses the following: saving face/ avoiding bringing shame to family and society, aversion to selfishness/ overt individualism, introspection as opposed to outward blame and demands, ability and expectation to endure hardship without complaints, resilience, and social cohesion i.e. acting for the greater good of society.

I can say without any doubt that looting/ rioting/ crimes, especially in instances like these disasters, didn't happen and will not happen. To do such things would entail such ostracism from society....you have no idea how catastrophic it would be for a Japanese person to be shunned by general society. To identify oneself as Japanese not only carries with it racial/ national inferences, but also a sense of belonging to a community. It's hard to describe to Westerners because most find the concept to be very foreign. But this is ingrained into the Japanese psyche from cradle to adulthood and beyond. That is why it is such a taboo to commit crimes against the community/ society.
Thank you for explaining. It's very fascinating. At this moment, I am simply in awe of the Japanese people. I wish that our culture would develop a little more honor and aversion to crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 08:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsuoko View Post
I am a naturalized American citizen of partial Japanese ancestry. Japanese people, especially their mentality and culture, even stand out amongst other Asian cultures. Japanese society is ingrained and indeed bound to an honor code of sorts. One which encompasses the following: saving face/ avoiding bringing shame to family and society, aversion to selfishness/ overt individualism, introspection as opposed to outward blame and demands, ability and expectation to endure hardship without complaints, resilience, and social cohesion i.e. acting for the greater good of society.

I can say without any doubt that looting/ rioting/ crimes, especially in instances like these disasters, didn't happen and will not happen. To do such things would entail such ostracism from society....you have no idea how catastrophic it would be for a Japanese person to be shunned by general society. To identify oneself as Japanese not only carries with it racial/ national inferences, but also a sense of belonging to a community. It's hard to describe to Westerners because most find the concept to be very foreign. But this is ingrained into the Japanese psyche from cradle to adulthood and beyond. That is why it is such a taboo to commit crimes against the community/ society.
Really? Uh...what happened to all of that honor and avoidance of "bringing shame" during the occupations of Korea, China, and the Philippines? I'd bet those people would have a lot to say about Japanese "honor."

Old 03-15-2011, 09:50 PM

9 posts, read 6,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Really? Uh...what happened to all of that honor and avoidance of "bringing shame" during the occupations of Korea, China, and the Philippines? I'd bet those people would have a lot to say about Japanese "honor."
I have to respectfully disagree with the application of simplistic logic in order to conflate two disparate sets of actions (and spanning over seventy years at that) into one rather hyperbolic pronouncement. The admirable features of Japanese psyche/ society, which has come to the forefront in the aftermath of recent disasters, is very different from the brutality of its armed forces in China. Moreover, all admirable traits or characteristics when carried to extremes, invariably produce paradoxical effects, i.e. good thinking/ behavior deviating into bad thinking/ behavior. This, in my opinion, gives us some insights into how seemingly harmless set of 'honor codes' can be skewed into destructive models.

In my humble opinion, there can be no explanations let alone excuses for war atrocities during WWII. However, many have tried to provide analysis of psychological and social dispositions which allowed for such crimes to occur.

During WWII, both Japan and Germany shared similar traits of unquestioning nationalism supported by dominant, militaristic cultures. That subsequent mindset was further adopted into brutal indoctrination of soldiers in the case of the Imperial Japanese military. With the abolition of the Samurai class and its code of Bushido, the indoctrination of soldiers no longer included compassion towards defeated enemies/ civilians. Rather, soldiers were taught propaganda about "subhuman Chinese" in eerily similar ways as German school children were instructed on "vermin Jews".

That is the extent to which I will talk about WWII war crimes....on a thread about examining reasons why there had/ has been lack of looting in the aftermath of mass destruction.

Somewhat related to the topic at hand, the discussion of the 'whys' of the orderliness of Japanese people despite insurmountable hardship. The many traits of so-called honor codes, which survive into modern Japanese society, have shown themselves before. When Japanese immigrants started coming to the U.S. following the late 1800s, the Japanese government were determined not to "lose face" by enacting strict selection criterion for prospective emigrants. Japanese government only allowed those who could uphold 'Japanese honor' in the U.S. to come to this country. Those who applied had to prove that they weren't illiterate, that they were hard-working, and that they were willing to completely assimilate into American culture. As a result, Japanese-American immigrants represented one of the most successful examples of assimilation (an idea I wholly support). And it all goes back to the concept of Honor Codes.

Last edited by mitsuoko; 03-15-2011 at 10:03 PM..

Old 03-15-2011, 10:27 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
There are no poor in Japan?
Def. not as much as the lower ninth ward.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,934,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Yes...... Do you think people in the US would loot and riot with dead bodies laying in the street?
Sure, why not?

Looters are looters. Tragedies are something they capitalize on.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times
The Japanese will never talk about the underworld that exists in their country and culture: organized crime, the sex (fetish) trade, the human trafficking, child prostitution

Asia Sentinel - Japan's Pink Kink

Japan put on sex-trade watch list - CNN

Japan's booming drug culture - CNN

Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The Japanese will never talk about the underworld that exists in their country and culture: organized crime, the sex (fetish) trade, the human trafficking, child prostitution

Asia Sentinel - Japan's Pink Kink

Japan put on sex-trade watch list - CNN

Japan's booming drug culture - CNN
Oh, brother.

Calipoppy, this is truly pathetic.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Oh, brother.

Calipoppy, this is truly pathetic.
How dare I speak a single word based on the negative aspects of the Japanese culture? Hate to break it to you but its called "reality"

I think it is one thing to admire the beauty of a culture, it is another to ignore the reality that exists within any and all cultures.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
The Japanese don't have to contend with the nincompoop ilk that America has.
But the Japanese do have to contend with the Japanese mafia and organized crime....

Yakuza: Japan's Not-So-Secret Mafia - 60 Minutes - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/11/01/60minutes/main5484118.shtml - broken link)

Old 03-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
How dare I speak a single word based on the negative aspects of the Japanese culture? Hate to break it to you but its called "reality"

I think it is one thing to admire the beauty of a culture, it is another to ignore the reality that exists within any and all cultures.
You are never going to be able to bring the Japanese down to the level of the New Orleans thugs and criminals. It's watching you try that is so pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies