Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2011, 11:10 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Sounds like you'd rather dismiss, rather than discuss the o.p.
I don't thnik they could hide looting and roits with the coverage. Didn't work in katrina. They just are more civil generally than we are. Saw a video of them in gas line miles long with estimated four hour wait;no problems and them in a long line for water;again no problems.I agree people just want to dismiss and why we have so many problems everythig form school to rallies like in Wisconsin now days. Too often the sqeeking wheel gets greased here and we need to display zero tolerance more with adults too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 11:11 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,682,794 times
Japan has a great sense of pride and the nation comes first, not the individual. Think of an ant colony, the pinnacle of efficiency and cooperation.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:12 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Americans are individualists - me me me.

Japanese are homogeneous - ours ours ours.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:25 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
Yes and you must be proud to claim thieving bums as "your kind". I'll claim the latter any day!
There were planty right on TV not taking necessities but lootign TV etc. They causght many tranportig the goods i trucks comig out of new orleans. they still have probelms witht eh thugs and crime to this day. No excuses.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:54 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
The Japanese aren't raping each other either.
Not my question. Riot or loot what exactly? What are they going to riot about, and what exactly are they gonna loot? Debris?

Old 03-15-2011, 01:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
I find more than a bit interesting reading the posts of those who scream the most about how great individualism is pointing out the the superiority of one of the most collectivist societies on the planet.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:13 PM

9 posts, read 6,615 times
I am a naturalized American citizen of partial Japanese ancestry. Japanese people, especially their mentality and culture, even stand out amongst other Asian cultures. Japanese society is ingrained and indeed bound to an honor code of sorts. One which encompasses the following: saving face/ avoiding bringing shame to family and society, aversion to selfishness/ overt individualism, introspection as opposed to outward blame and demands, ability and expectation to endure hardship without complaints, resilience, and social cohesion i.e. acting for the greater good of society.

I can say without any doubt that looting/ rioting/ crimes, especially in instances like these disasters, didn't happen and will not happen. To do such things would entail such ostracism from society....you have no idea how catastrophic it would be for a Japanese person to be shunned by general society. To identify oneself as Japanese not only carries with it racial/ national inferences, but also a sense of belonging to a community. It's hard to describe to Westerners because most find the concept to be very foreign. But this is ingrained into the Japanese psyche from cradle to adulthood and beyond. That is why it is such a taboo to commit crimes against the community/ society.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:11 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
Curious why I haven't heard any news reports of looting, rioting or civil unrest in Japan? Japan not only suffered a Tsunami/Flooding, but also an 8.9 quake?

This disaster makes Katrina look like a day at the park. Yet, you would never know how horrible things were from the civility and calm that Japanese citizens display during this horrible catastrophe.

If they can conduct themselves in such an honorable way, maybe there's something citizens from other countries can learn from Japan?
Yeah its not like they started a war or anything. Killed millions destroyed Chinese people. I don't wish this for the Japanese but don't come with this look how great this set of people are stuff.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:22 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,476,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Yeah its not like they started a war or anything. Killed millions destroyed Chinese people. I don't wish this for the Japanese but don't come with this look how great this set of people are stuff.
The Japanese don't have to contend with the nincompoop ilk that America has.

Old 03-15-2011, 06:42 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,533,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
The Japanese don't have to contend with the nincompoop ilk that America has.
What ilk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies