Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the hatred for the war itself was channeled into hatred for the men who fought it. It was wrong, and it was the shame of a nation.

I, personally, never experienced it. My family was waiting for me when I came home, and my reception was warm and loving, even from those who opposed the war. I feel I was blessed.

As far as it happening again, I sincerely hope not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
His claim was denied because the US was not in Cambodia.
Not "officially"

Old 03-16-2011, 11:37 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
If the anti-American left want to pretend it never happened, can anyone claim to be surprised? Just like who is surprised that anyone from Vietnam Veterans Against the War would reinforce those lies? As we all know, thanks to the traitor Kerry, the anti-American left would love nothing more than to see the US military destroyed. Leftists have always held the US military in utter contempt (just ask Clinton), so this is nothing new.

We know what we experienced first-hand, nothing is going to change that. I am just glad that the vast majority of Americans have come to their senses and no longer are taken in by the anti-American, anti-military leftist lies.
You're willing to jail these people for 'treason' and deny their service?

Veterans For Peace :: Home

Old 03-16-2011, 11:41 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Not "officially"
Yes...isn't that a shame....

Old 03-16-2011, 11:42 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Most Vietnam vets came home to a nice welcome
Yeah.

Right. From their families. Nobody was waving flags for them at the airport and slapping them on the back.

Queston: Your dad got C.O. status? Who did he know on the draft board?

Old 03-16-2011, 11:44 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yeah.

Right.

As of now we have no proof his dad was a C. O.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Yes...isn't that a shame....

Amazing isn't it?

God bless the gubmit in times of war.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Yeah.

Right. From their families. Nobody was waving flags for them at the airport and slapping them on the back.

Speaking for myself, I didn't want flags, and pats on the back. All I wanted was home, and I got there, sans 3 ribs and a right kidney, but I made it home, a lot of my brothers didn't.

I hated the effing war. I hated the smell and the noise and getting shot at all the time and seeing my friends get blown apart and the rain and heat and all of the rest of it. Eff patriotism, we should have stayed the hell out of it.

My philosophy was to leave me the hell alone and let me get on with my life.

Pretty much worked out so far.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I was well tied in with the anti-war movement at the time; they shot students at my alma mater.
It is truly a shame they missed you.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:51 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,784,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezengirl View Post
Excuse me, when soldiers were drafted in Viet Nam, nobody asked if they were liberal, conservative, or any other definition some of you like to sling around like so much rubbish. They went and served their country and many never made it home. Viet Nam was a horrible horrible time for our country and passionate opinons on the war divided this country in a way that is somewhat similar to stupidity and ignorance of the passionate opinions expressed on issues today. Our soldiers payed for that. They were treated very badly and the shame of that has stayed with many of us that lived through that time to this day. When we wept over the boys from our family and community that never came home or came home in pieces or came home with horribly haunted eyes never once did we ask or care about their political party. They paid to great a price then and God help us all but they are still paying the price.
The only thing there ever was to be ashamed of is that our military was abused for nefarious purposes. That's not the fault of troops. We the People are obliged to defend them from wrongful mission statements. We the People are obliged to rail against malevolent leadership & profiteers of strife no matter the party.

I'm not a pacifist. I respect their right to exist but our military (and LE in general) defends their right to exist. That's a sacrifice to our country we should never take for granted. Not ever. Would pacifist principles be employed in service to our country rightfully they'd be concentrated in diplomatic channels applying conflict resolution. Would military principles be employed in service to our country rightfully they'd be defending our interests at home, not abused as soldiers of fortune in planetary policeman roles defending the authority of despots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies