Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This is not a criminal matter. This is a Senate matter. Senate rules apply. Where in the Senate rules does it say that the Senate majority leader can take the actions that Fitzgerald has taken?
Wrong question.. the correct question is, where does it say he cant?

p.s. the definition doesnt involve only criminal matters..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I actually agree with this; we need to see how far the Republicans will go in their "contempt," and whether they're going to refuse to let Senate Democrats participate in the entirety of the legislative session, but I can't say I have all that much of a problem with those senators facing some consequence for their principled stand against Governor Walker's anti-union legislation.

Saying "We knew this could happen, but what Walker's done was so contrary to our basic principles that we had to take this stand anyway," would show some guts that have been sorely lacking in most of the Democratic Party for a while.
But it's not the senators who are being punished. It's their constituents. It's the citizens of Wisconsin who are punished when the majority party refuses to let the minority party be a part of the legislative process. Our system is not supposed to be winner-take-all in the legislative process. Our system is supposed to be about negotiation and compromise, about finding a middle ground. Fitgzerald, in his drive to punish these senators for their actions, is ignoring that. He's drunk on power, and he's depriving people in his state from being represented in the legislature. That's WRONG.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM

1,230 posts, read 1,039,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
It is the private sector that PAYS for the public sector....
The public sector pays taxes too- every single tax that the private sector pays- although much of the big business and wealthy private sector end up paying less than their fair share due to loop holes.

The public sector contributes to our economy as taxpayers and consumers. Imagine all public sector jobs GONE or all public sector workers getting paid little above minimum wage. Public sector workers are just as important to this nation's success as private sector workers.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:

WRONG!

When it comes to representation in a republic, the correct question is where does it say he can. Because he's not a king or a dictator. He only has the power the people give him.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I actually agree with this; we need to see how far the Republicans will go in their "contempt," and whether they're going to refuse to let Senate Democrats participate in the entirety of the legislative session, but I can't say I have all that much of a problem with those senators facing some consequence for their principled stand against Governor Walker's anti-union legislation.

Saying "We knew this could happen, but what Walker's done was so contrary to our basic principles that we had to take this stand anyway," would show some guts that have been sorely lacking in most of the Democratic Party for a while.
They cant bar them from taking part in the whole session. Another poster said roll call was scheduled for April 5th.. The Democratic representation is needed to make fiscal decisions so barring them forever is impossible.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,431,347 times
Quote:

Not enough guts for me. I want retaliation. When the Democrats get a majority in the Wisconsin legislature I want to see them pulling this same crap. They need to do some research to research and see what kind of sleazy stuff they can pull.

And where the hell are Obama and the national Democrats on this?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:32 PM

3,074 posts, read 4,727,079 times
Quote:

Do you think he would be as valiantly defensive if the Republicans had run away ?

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,743 times
Quote:
But it's not the senators who are being punished. It's their constituents. It's the citizens of Wisconsin who are punished when the majority party refuses to let the minority party be a part of the legislative process. Our system is not supposed to be winner-take-all in the legislative process. Our system is supposed to be about negotiation and compromise, about finding a middle ground. Fitgzerald, in his drive to punish these senators for their actions, is ignoring that. He's drunk on power, and he's depriving people in his state from being represented in the legislature. That's WRONG.
I don't disagree with any of that. It is wrong. And showing the gloating response from the Senate Republicans, acting like poor winners after a game of baseball, shows their constituents why they should be recalled as soon as possible.

It should be an act of civil disobedience; and accepting consequences for taking a principled stand (even when those consequences might be made up ad hoc) can be an admirable trait.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
WRONG!

When it comes to representation in a republic, the correct question is where does it say he can. Because he's not a king or a dictator. He only has the power the people give him.
WRONG.. Rules and laws are written to REMOVE power.. not grant them. If there is no law limiting it, then its legal..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
The public sector pays taxes too- every single tax that the private sector pays- although much of the big business and wealthy private sector end up paying less than their fair share due to loop holes.

The public sector contributes to our economy as taxpayers and consumers. Imagine all public sector jobs GONE or all public sector workers getting paid little above minimum wage. Public sector workers are just as important to this nation's success as private sector workers.
Yes but without the private sector funding the public sector, the public sector cant contribute..

Old 03-15-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Your feelings on the matter doesnt count. Neither you or I get to make legislative decisions, we dont wright the rules that must be followed, but clearly we all must follow them, do you not agree?

thats not true.. they can vote.. their vote just wont count until they are deemed present. Again, would you like their vote to be counted and then anything they vote on ruled illegal because rules werent followed? Clearly you would be whining about their vote not counting..

I think its unfair that you think people who run away in order to NOT do their job, should be given preferential treatment and dictate the rules to those that did stay to do their job. Explain this to me?

Says who? YOU?

The very rules that allowed the representatives to stay outside the state, would also be the very ones that limit their votes.. Did you not read all of the legal synopsis about arresting the individuals in question and FORCING them to come back to vote, and their votes would/could be deemed null and void because the rules were not FOLLOWED? Now you want to ignore the very same laws that protected them because its now to your convenience, asking for special exemptions because you say so..
My feelings don't matter. But YOU brought them up.

If their vote doesn't count, then it doesn't count as a vote.

And there is nothing preferential about counting votes of the lawfully elected representatives of the people.

Once again, you cite rules. But you've yet to show us where these "rules" are written. Because they aren't really rules. They are the whims of Wisconsin's Senate majority leader. Who's overreaching his authority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies