Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,525,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Homosexuality is clearly a disorder of some sort, if you want to insist that a person doesn't "choose" to be go I'll go along with that but then you have to agree that a person born gay was clearly born with a mental or physical deformity which is pretty common. People are born with all sorts of stuff these days, it's not really a big deal.
It is not a disorder, so please stop spreading that lie. It is a big deal when uninformed people like you and others spread lies to further an excuse to exclude homosexuals from federal rights, to discriminate against them, to call them mentally ill. People are born straight, born gay, but they are not born bigots, that takes an upbringing that promotes dissent against gays. Bigotry is a mental illness, not sexuality or sexual orientation.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,407,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
So you are saying that you agree with immature name calling as an acceptable way to debate?
Why do people come on a forum to debate political and controversial topics if they can't take the heat? And by heat I mean for many people who disagree with their opinion.

It always amazes me that people seem to actually hate people on this forum who disagree with them? Must be a very though way to naviagate around the world. I can't imagine working closely with someone like this.
Well let's see. So far in this thread a gay poster has had all these things directed at him:

Quote:
They made a choice IMO. Sexual choice. I personally have never met a gay child.
Quote:
Because if you ask anyone with a mental issue they're likely to tell you they don't have one. Most alcoholics and drug addicts deny they have a problem.
Quote:
Your mind does not line up with your body.
Quote:
Homosexuality is clearly a disorder of some sort, if you want to insist that a person doesn't "choose" to be go I'll go along with that but then you have to agree that a person born gay was clearly born with a mental or physical deformity which is pretty common.
So far there are just under 40 posts in this thread, and at least four of them have told a person who earnestly claims that he was born gay that he's lying, that he has a "mental issue," that he has a "mental or physical deformity," and that his "mind does not line up with [his] body."

And now you excoriate this poster for "childish name calling?" These are very hurtful things to say that have already been directed at this poster in this very thread! I'm actually surprised and pleasantly surprised at his restraint so far against hateful language like that!

Old 03-17-2011, 05:11 PM

446 posts, read 651,002 times
People have already gone to the source countless times, including yours truly. Gay people like myself already know we didn't choose to be this way, and tell people who inquire the same answer all the time. If they are too bigoted, ignorant, self-righteous, or whatever to accept that answer, then let them be that way. Period. Case closed.

11,466 posts, read 19,394,480 times
I fully agree it's not a choice.

Quote:
Almost every homosexual I know either proclaimed they were not gay at one point or were dating the opposite sex or married before they became a homosexual.

So how could they be born this way? One told me he couldn't "decide" at first but then decided he was gay. This is from the mouth of a homosexual male.

They made a choice IMO. Sexual choice. I personally have never met a gay child.
So, you must have made the choice to be straight. You must have had gay feelings at one time to be able to suppress them and be straight. There is not changing ones sexual orientation, there is just trying to fit in with what society wants. Almost all gays at one time or another try to be straight, if only to avoid discrimination and bigotry. It does not mean that they chose to be gay. I have known that I was gay since I was at least 5 and I tried to make a show of being straight, even had girlfriends. But I was never sexually attracted to them, nor aroused. It was a cover to avoid persecution from the masses. You opinion is just that, an opinion. It is not fact, nor is it based on fact.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I dunno about that. Depression has always plauged homosexuals. The whole reason we're all supposed to be all accepting of gay individuals is because of this issue. While being gay here in the western world may still be not totally accepted it's much closer than the rest of the world which really does persecute homosexual behavior. Still, it hasn't helped the mental health issues of gays.

source
You would be depressed too, if you thought coming out would make your parents disown you, or your friends disassociate themselves from you. How about having to deal with all the people that tell you that you are mentally ill, or an abomination, freak, etc. Or how about all the laws made to ban gays from adopting, fostering or simply wanting to marry the one they love. Of the big one, all the BS we have to deal with from the church telling us that god hates us, or that we are not going to heaven, Do you think any of that is a reason to be happy, or feel that one is an equal? Being put down regularly does a lot of damage to ones ability to interface with society. I was a lucky one in that my Mom fully supported me and never treated me as less for being gay. I have never suffered from depression as a result.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:22 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,542,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
So, you must have made the choice to be straight. You must have had gay feelings at one time to be able to suppress them and be straight. There is not changing ones sexual orientation, there is just trying to fit in with what society wants. Almost all gays at one time or another try to be straight, if only to avoid discrimination and bigotry. It does not mean that they chose to be gay. I have known that I was gay since I was at least 5 and I tried to make a show of being straight, even had girlfriends. But I was never sexually attracted to them, nor aroused. It was a cover to avoid persecution from the masses. You opinion is just that, an opinion. It is not fact, nor is it based on fact.
You know I have never met a homosexual who has, as you put it, tried to be straight." Never. And this is my personal experience so I would appreciate it if you did not call me a liar. I'm not disputing your experience at all however.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:25 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,407,345 times
Quote:
You know I have never met a homosexual who has, as you put it, tried to be straight." Never. And this is my personal experience so I would appreciate it if you did not call me a liar. I'm not disputing your experience at all however.
Hold on though, you've said that everybody you know who is a homosexual chose to be homosexual by choice. Doesn't that imply that at some point at least some of them tried to be straight?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,179,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
In point of fact there is a scientific reason to be straight except.......that of procreation. Without that simple fact none of us would be here. What is at question is why do we use body parts meant to create children in such a way as to not create children?

Old 03-17-2011, 05:27 PM

3,326 posts, read 3,179,346 times
Quote:
I'm not going to call you a liar but that hasn't been my personal experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies