Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 01:52 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Every time same sex marriage has been put to the voters, as it should be, the people have elected NOT to support same sex marriage. This has occurred in 31 states so far. The people have spoken loud and clear on this issue and you just don’t like what they have to say about it. I say put it to the vote and let the people decide.
So do you think inter-racial marriage should have been "put to the voters too? If that were the case, then inter-racial marriage would not have been legal in most states until the 1990's instead of the 1960's.

How would you like it if YOUR right to get married was "put to the voters" and it was decided you should not be allowed to get married?

Last edited by Ceist; 03-20-2011 at 02:30 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2011, 06:24 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
You have to admit the wording of the question is very leading. I think you should also know that most people who voice in the affirmative for gay marriage do not necessarily back it or support it but are merely willing to tolerate it's existence. And that the segment of the heterosexual population who do strongly support it (liberals), are also that same segment of the population who are the first ones to downplay the significance of marriage in general.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 03-20-2011 at 07:50 AM..

Old 03-20-2011, 08:58 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Maine voted in 2009 and Iowa 2011 isn't looking so good for same sex marriage either. Let the people i.e. the voters decide.
Voters don't have the right to deny other citizens rights or to violate the constitution. This is not a democracy.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:59 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I find this link more accurate although it's older and it contains demographic breakdowns>>>>>

Americans' Acceptance of Gay Relations Crosses 50% Threshold

More men approve than women????? This is a GALLUP Poll....statistically valid with over 1,000 random participants.
The wording of the question changed from "homosexual behavior", then to "homosexual relations" and finally "gay/lesbian relationships."

According to Angus Poll, 49% of Americans say sexual relations between two people of the same gender is morally wrong, while 40% say it is acceptable.

http://www.angus-reid.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10 (broken link)
/2010.10.11_Morality_USA.pdf

According to Marist Poll, 51% of Americans say gay/lesbian relationships are morally wrong while 22% say they're acceptable. 23% said same sex marriage is acceptable, while 54% say they're wrong.

http://www.kofc.org/un/cmf/resources/Communications/documents/poll_mil_religion.pdf (broken link)

And if you exclude areas like the NE, the % saying these things are wrong is probably much higher.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:11 AM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
So do you think inter-racial marriage
Marriage, interracial or otherwise, fulfills the only requirement possible to constitute marriage namely one man and one woman.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Voters don't have the right to deny other citizens rights or to violate the constitution. This is not a democracy.
This is true. No constitutional rights have been denied here either.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:19 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
I reject same-sex marriage--for myself. I don't care what you do, and I don't know why so many people aren't simply happy to make their own decisions for their own life and leave the decisions of others to the others.

Old 03-20-2011, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And the courts will have the final word, not the voters.
When the people speak by way of their vote on this issue you obviously don’t like what they have to say about it. That is most unfortunate indeed. On the other hand why should anyone even bother voting if some judge is just going to invalidate the people’s vote anyway? [blank] the voice of the people, all that matters is you and what you want!

Just hope that it always falls your way and when the judge doesn’t do what you want then what?

Old 03-20-2011, 09:43 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
I reject same-sex marriage--for myself. I don't care what you do, and I don't know why so many people aren't simply happy to make their own decisions for their own life and leave the decisions of others to the others.
Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you!
It completely boggles my mind how OTHER people care if 2 men/2 women marry. It truly makes no sense, and then they are stupid enough to get OFFENDED when they are called bigots! You sir (or ma'am), imo, are a true American. I thank you, and I do hope if you have children you raised your children with the same mentality of what freedom really is.

Again, thank you!!

Old 03-20-2011, 09:44 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
All this is, really, is the modern day Civil Rights movement circa 1960's. How did the African Americans of that time eventually get the same rights as the majority of Americans back then? They raised awareness! They gathered and showed people who they were and what they were about. They had great leaders such as Martin Luther King, Jr. along with Malcolm X who helped their movement.

That's exactly what the Gay community is doing now. They are raising awareness. They aren't any less American than you or I simply because of their lifestyle choices. Heck, my best friend who I am *really* close with is a lesbian and I love her to death! She's helped me so much that I wonder where I would be today without her. So, while I do respect everyone's opinion up to a point, to utterly and coldly deny a group of people the same rights afforded to the rest of the Americans is no better than the Ku Klux Klan lynching their unfortunate victims.

Yeah, I said it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies