Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2011, 04:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,470,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
The population density in the northeast isn't too different from Europe. Our cities are close enough together for it to be highly feasible and it would reduce the need for further road building.
Yes, but it still costs millions (usually tens of millions) of dollars per mile to build high-speed rail. We can't afford it.

I've also taken Eurostar between London and Paris. It was very convenient and I definitely enjoyed the experience. But it wouldn't work in the US except in the Washington-Boston corridor. (We already have HSR (Amtrak Acela) in the NE technically, but it is very slow compared to HSR in Europe and Asia.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 04:28 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes, but it still costs millions (usually tens of millions) of dollars per mile to build high-speed rail. We can't afford it.

I've also taken Eurostar between London and Paris. It was very convenient and I definitely enjoyed the experience. But it wouldn't work in the US except in the Washington-Boston corridor. (We already have HSR (Amtrak Acela) in the NE technically, but it is very slow compared to HSR in Europe and Asia.)
It would cost billions, but it's an investment for the future and would create tens of thousands of jobs in the interim. The private sector would cover some of te cost as it would be a worthy long-term investment. It would save money in the long run and would break some of our dependency on oil, particularly foreign oil.

It wouldn't be feasible to cover the entire country, but the northeast would be a good starting point.

Perhaps we can't afford to NOT consider it? Traffic is only going to get worse and planes are oil dependent and guzzlers.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:35 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,473 times
This our only HSR:

Acela Express - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've never used it. Top speed is 150mph, but it averages half that. If it could be expanded, jazzed up and if the speed could be increased (doubled), it'd really give airlines a run for their money.

Old 11-29-2011, 04:41 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,013,501 times
Please name me one HSR project that has turned a profit for their investors. Just one. (and before you jump on me, I take a train to work every day)

Old 11-29-2011, 04:45 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,952,281 times
Quote:
This our only HSR:

I've never used it. Top speed is 150mph, but it averages half that. If it could be expanded, jazzed up and if the speed could be increased (doubled), it'd really give airlines a run for their money.
Absolutely.

It is a diamond in the rough ... it has not been perfected, the rail lines need to be upgraded so it can perform to peak performance.

Does anyone have any idea how much traffic and commuting goes on in the 90 miles between New York and Philly?

Old 11-29-2011, 06:24 PM

5,510 posts, read 9,498,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
Please name me one HSR project that has turned a profit for their investors. Just one. (and before you jump on me, I take a train to work every day)
Acela makes a profit...

Old 11-29-2011, 06:53 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Population density: France, 295/ sq mi. Florida, 351/ sq mi. Why can the French travel from Paris to Lyon faster than Floridians from Miami to Orlando? Perhaps we have a higher density of goofball politicians.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:37 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times
Quote:
This our only HSR:

Actually Amtrak and Northeast gets along with the Airliners , the Airliners have used Amtrak to cut regional Flights and future wise will be used to reduce the need to expand or create New Airports...

Old 11-30-2011, 03:55 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
The problem is that a 500-mile plane trip can be done in one hour; arrive at the airport an hour before your plane does (I've been doing just that at LAX for well over a decade), and good luck finding a HSR train that can do the same trip in two hours.
The new high speed trains in China can go up to 310 Km/H which means they can do a 500 mile trip in approx. 2 & half hours.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
China has just presented its new high-speed train, which goes over 300 mph, again, miles, not kilometers
It looks fancy, it is supposed to resemble a sword. This is the first high-speed train the Chinese have developed all on their own. And they are proud of it, deservedly so

http://global.crazyengineers.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Chinese-Train-High-Speed.jpg (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies