Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2011, 11:30 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Dallas to Houston (downtown to downtown) is about 260 miles. A train averaging 150 mph would cover the distance in 1 hour and 45 minutes. Add another 45 minutes to check-in and get out. The entire journey complete in 2 hours and 30 minutes... quicker and in a lot more comfort than airplanes.
oh please

when I lived in belmore I was walking distance from the LIRR and I worked in the city (manhattan) I used the train most times because it was quicker, and with parking costs in Manhattan it was cheaper

but

I live(central nassua) 12 miles from work(now in queens)...when there is no traffic (maybe 2am) it would take me 15 minutes.....but during rush hour it takes me almost 1 hr, I use a tank of gas (14 gallons) a week (at $3/gallon, that's $42 a week or 168 a month)....................to take mass transit I would have to DRIVE 3 miles to the trainstation, then wait for a train, to get to the terminal (jamiaca station) to pick up the subway (to flushing), then hop on a bus to get to work, and it would take me over 2.5 hours......and a monthly ticket for the long island railroad is over $375 a month...plus the subway and the bus

that's why many dont like mass transit....because the SYSTEM is just screwed up

the problem is efficiency...

which would you rather do...... I live 12 miles from work...........
1) to drive when there is no traffic (maybe 2am) it would take me 15 minutes.....but during rush hour it takes me almost 1 hr, I use a tank of gas (14 gallons) a week (at $3/gallon, that's $42 a week or 168 a month)....................
or..........

2)...to take mass transit I would have to DRIVE 3 miles to the train-station(belmore), then wait for a train, to get to the terminal (jamaica station) to wait to get picked up the subway (to flushing), then hop on a bus to get to work, and it would take me over 2 and a half hours......and a monthly ticket for the long island railroad is over $375 a month...plus the subway and the bus

that is the problem with mass transit ( its at least twice the time and 4 times the cost) unless you live and work only blocks away...its actually cheaper, easier, and less time consuming(and time is money) to drive, especially since you need a car( so you will already have the 'startup' cost of a car anyhow) for the other things in life (other than the work commute) life going to the beach or out to wine country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:
400 million would be 33% increase. "Double" would be 100%.
and what the BRIDGES handle DAILY is DOUBLE that

again..the point

btw it says PROJECTED...based on what

btw2...they PROJECTED 30 years ago that it would triple...it hasnt

Old 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
oh please
Oh please? Did you think 33% growth in population is effectively the same as 100% growth in ridership?

Quote:
when I lived in belmore I was walking distance from the LIRR and I worked in the city (manhattan) I used the train most times because it was quicker, and with parking costs in Manhattan it was cheaper

but...
And you believe your life living/commuting in NYC would be better without the railway services there.

Quote:
and what the BRIDGES handle DAILY is DOUBLE that
Well, you drive on those bridges. People who would rather see development of railway infrastructure in this country would push for what they believe in.

Old 11-14-2011, 11:36 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
So what?

Old 11-14-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
And you believe your life living/commuting in NYC would be better without the railway services there.

your words not mine

I never said anything like I wanted mass transit gone...what I said it it doesnt work for eveyone

my job is exactly 12 miles door to door....to drive takes a long time with traffic on the LIE...sometimes an hour or more

but mass transut would COST MORE and take over 2 hrs

and long distance......

was going to go down to FT. Jackson for a friend kids graduation from basic training

amtrak from nyc to columbia, sc...nearly twice the cost of gas, and would take 26 hours (((compaired to a 12 hour drive)...or I can take a plane for slightly cheaper than amtrak and it would be a TOTAL of 4 hrs travel

I love the rail (old railroad guy)...but it is not worth it any more

Old 11-14-2011, 12:12 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
I never said anything like I wanted mass transit gone...what I said it it doesnt work for eveyone
What does?

Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,859,429 times
Quote:
and we should hit 400 million population before 2030

so your point??
The Northeastern US is supposed to hit 80 Million by 2050 we need more Rail....and there's plenty of old lines waiting to be reactivated... The Density and Ridership are already there , now we need to speed up the EIS and other reviews and rebuild this lines...

Old 11-14-2011, 08:47 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
My point is that the government is allowed to subsidize roads and only roads according to the enumerated powers of the Constitution.
This is silly. The Constitution was written before rail or air travel existed. The government heavily subsidized canal and railroad building in the nineteenth and early twentieth century as well as the Interstate Highway system in the 1950s. Passenger rail service was extensive in this country well into the 1960s. Subsidizing transportation infrastructure is a well-established governmental policy.

And you can't find an airport today that isn't heavily funded by some governmental entity. They've also bailed out the airlines on multiple occasions.

Old 11-14-2011, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
The Northeastern US is supposed to hit 80 Million by 2050 we need more Rail....and there's plenty of old lines waiting to be reactivated... The Density and Ridership are already there , now we need to speed up the EIS and other reviews and rebuild this lines...
sorry but rail is so 19th century

get with the times

Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,082,060 times
Survey conducted by the 'we want the 53% of people paying taxes to fund a system that no one will use and be subsidized by tax payers to keep fares low' committee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies