Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 06:45 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,680,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Most Hispanics I know speak English along with Spanish. I don't understand why that angers you. Jealousy?
Which is why it's especially rude for them to use Spanish to exclude their American co-workers and the customers.

If they can speak English, then obviously it's not discrimination to expect them to use it in the workplace.

What's funny is that I live this is a big problem but we had a Cuban-American boss who said that he didn't care if people used pig-Latin in the breakroom but in the workplace, everyone had to speak English. The Mexicans said he was racist and what was funny is that it's often not even real Spanish but Spanglish spoken while he spoke perfect Castillian Spanish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 06:53 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,665,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
I get mad when ANY language other than English is sent across the PA in a Sears type of store here in the USA.

If Im in a Rancho Market or Food City; they cater to Spanish speaking Latinos, that dont bother me as much although it still bugs me.
Its disrespectful too

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I was checking out at a chain grocery store a while back. While the cashier was ringing me up, he and an employee from the meat department were having a conversation in Spanish for all to hear. I thought that was rude and said so.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, just because someone speaks Spanish doesn't mean they don't or can't speak English. I know stubbornly monolingual Americans just can't comprehend that.
They should be learning English.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
I was checking out at a chain grocery store a while back. While the cashier was ringing me up, he and an employee from the meat department were having a conversation in Spanish for all to hear. I thought that was rude and said so.
It is rude.
Imagine inviting guest to come to your house, and they blatantly speaks another language. Its disrespectful.

I would not invite them back ever again.

Its the same with immigration. Its very disrespectful and they should speak English as Theodore Roosevelt said:

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...

There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Old 04-11-2011, 07:50 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,442,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sorry but how does Sears get away with banning Spanish spoken among employees?

How does Arizona get away with passing legislation that is bigoted consider that over 40% of the states citizens are Hispanic.

At some point, you have to blame Hispanics for their apathy and not taking the initiative to register and vote. How does Jan Brewer win reelection in a Hispanic populated state like Arizona.

With so many LEGAL Hispanics living in this country, how does legislation or store policies pass??

Because they are a PRIVATE company and in the USA!

AZ new Legislation is NOT BIGOTED at all it is a result of illegals taking over the state and costing the taxpayers money, jobs and their lives. The people of the state are done trying to get the WH to protect its borders so they are taking in to their own hands.
So I guess you feel that Mexicos immigration laws and how they treat illegals is fair. So you think that Mexico making a prospective resident prove they have a viable income so they can support themselves is Bigoted?
So you think Mexico treats illegals better?

Because LEGAL immigrants have NO sympathy for those who choose to Break the law to enter this country! They are Criminals period...... You may want to read up on Mexicos laws concerning this topic!
I wish America would take the same stance on this as they do!

Old 04-11-2011, 08:47 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,287,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
It is rude.
Imagine inviting guest to come to your house, and they blatantly speaks another language. Its disrespectful.

.We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
I have friends who are from Poland and occasionally speak to each other in Polish, doesn't bother me one bit as long as it's not extended conversations. I don't consider being fluent in multiple languages to be traitorous to the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonythetuna View Post
It is ignorant as well.
Most Europeans I know speak 2-3 languages. Ignorant is being hostile to learning a new language.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies