Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,494,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It's called FREE enterprise. How can people butcher words like announcement and complain about poor English skills?

Enough already indeed.
I get mad when ANY language other than English is sent across the PA in a Sears type of store here in the USA.

If Im in a Rancho Market or Food City; they cater to Spanish speaking Latinos, that dont bother me as much although it still bugs me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 06:45 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,551,595 times
Didn't they protest in Cali a few years ago, legals and illegals and have the audacity to say if they protest America will fall/stop b/c all the working jobs they do won't get done?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:47 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,494,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Maybe the LEGAL Hispanics in AZ are sick of the open border policy and want a Jan Brewer type to crack down on the illegal immigration taking place? Most Hispanics I know despise how illegals are making a mockery of our immigration systems.

Instead of questioning us on CD why Hispanics don't vote and protest, why don't you tell us yourself. Aren't you, yourself, of Hispanic origin?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Barreras View Post
so why the hell do you assume that all hispaics feel the same way? People like you who think that all hispanics are pro illegal immigration really pisses off hispamics hispanics like myself. Here in NM our new Hispanic Governor Susanna Martinez got voted in Mainly because she wants to get rid of illeqal invaders! In NM the majority of hispanics despise illegals!!!! Alot of hispanics especially here in NM think that illegals give all hispanjcs a bad name.
Me to. Im a Chicano who dont like illegals, even Mexican ones.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:53 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,315,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Because it's rude to speak another language in front of a third party and in this case that would be customers.
My friends speak Polish in front of me all the time, doesn't bother me one bit. I had another friend who is Iranian who often spoke Farsi, didn't bother me at all. I had co-workers who were Filipino and spoke Tagalog, didn't bother me either. I often ask them to teach me words. I can order a beer in 4 languages, as well as curse someone out.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:48 PM

26,897 posts, read 38,194,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Yaknow, following the rational of the OP that banning Spanish is bigoted I guess that means that Quebec Canada is the most bigoted prejudiced place in North America....

English is almost exclusively banned in that city by both word and print --- French is the exclusive language in schools.... Yet the population has no problems with the laws.

Total crapola...

Old 03-30-2011, 09:00 PM

25,021 posts, read 28,002,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Barreras View Post
so why the hell do you assume that all hispaics feel the same way? People like you who think that all hispanics are pro illegal immigration really pisses off hispamics hispanics like myself. Here in NM our new Hispanic Governor Susanna Martinez got voted in Mainly because she wants to get rid of illeqal invaders! In NM the majority of hispanics despise illegals!!!! Alot of hispanics especially here in NM think that illegals give all hispanjcs a bad name.
I always wondered that too. Everyone, liberal and conservative, lumps all Hispanics into one pot like we're a black and white category like white and black. We're not. We're all colors, and we come from any of the ~20 Hispanic countries around the world. We are NOT the same. My family migrated to Puerto Rico between 1750 and 1800 from Spain and that does not make me Spanish, and 3rd generation American and that does not make me a Mexican. We're not a race, we're an ETHNICITY, and it's a stupid designation. Why do I have to have a label as a minority and have victimhood status just because I have a Spanish last name?

And I certainly hate it that, if I'm against illegal immigration I'm a race traitor and gringo lover (I know of a few people on here that explicitly accuse me of being a self-hating racist)

Old 03-30-2011, 09:27 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,246,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Total crapola...
I humbly suggest you do a mite bit of research on this subject....

That way you can take your foot out of your mouth.....

Old 03-30-2011, 09:36 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,356,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
How can people butcher words like announcement and complain about poor English skills?
She made a typo.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:41 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,356,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Because it's rude to speak another language in front of a third party and in this case that would be customers.
It is ignorant as well.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 AM

26,897 posts, read 38,194,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I humbly suggest you do a mite bit of research on this subject....

That way you can take your foot out of your mouth.....
Bubba, I am actually sitting in Quebec writing this at the moment.

I know the language situation in Quebec inside and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies