Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 01:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times

Advertisements

Arizona has a large, legal (non-migrant) Hispanic population that does not want to see illegal Mexican immigration any more than Anglo Arizonians. In New Mexico, to the east, Many Hispanics identify with America well before Mexico. Heck, they identify with Spain before Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:24 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Another blanket statement. How very sad.
You don't even know the facts and you are ASSuming I am stereotyping. The numbers prove that. The percentage of Hispanics who are eligible to vote are considerably lower than Caucasians.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Because LEGAL hispanics living in this country tend to speak English and care about the USA.

It's the illegals that have no intention of ever playing by any rules and have a distain for American culture, law and language and of course people.
American citizens speak Spanish as well. I think you fail to understand that being an American citizen is not synonymous with only speaking English. This is a free country and legal citizens can speak whatever language they choose to speak among themselves.

Uneducated bigots have issues with people speaking a language other than English among themselves. Remember, this issue does not pertain to people speaking English to customers. If someone is paranoid that someone is talking about them if they are speaking a language they can't understand when eaves dropping on a conversation then that is their problem, they should see a psychiatrist.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Arizona has a large, legal (non-migrant) Hispanic population that does not want to see illegal Mexican immigration any more than Anglo Arizonians. In New Mexico, to the east, Many Hispanics identify with America well before Mexico. Heck, they identify with Spain before Mexico.
I'm one of these Hispanics who identifies himself as an American...a Hispanic American. Immigration is not the issue, discrimination is. Requiring that English be spoken even among private conversations among employees is a form of discrimination and imposing upon one's civil rights. Racially profiling is a form of discrimination. There is no justification for requiring that an employee speak English at all times including private conversations that one employee would have with another person whether that person is an employee or a customer. Requiring that English be spoken to customers, and that business be conducted in English is appropriate, telling two employees they can't speak Spanish to each other at work is not appropriate.

Requiring proof of citizenship to enroll in public schools, universities, jobs and social services is NOT a form of discrimination. Unfortunately, these states did not pass these forms of non-discriminatory immigration reform and instead chose to endorse racial profiling through 1070 and passing bigoted laws that prevent people from speaking a foreign language which has nothing to do with being in the country legally.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:35 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,491,846 times
Not all of us Hispanics even speak Spanish. I dont. And I get mad when some La Raza vato tries to get in my face cause I only speak English. If I lived in Mexico: I would learn the langugae and fast.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 PM

532 posts, read 1,056,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez View Post
And I get mad when some La Raza vato tries to get in my face cause I only speak English.
I don't know what a "La Raza vato" is, but if it's someone who associates with Chicano identity politics, you might remind such people that they should be speaking Nahuatl instead of Castilian, itself a European language. Pochos...

Old 03-29-2011, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I do believe that is what I said. English needs to be the spoken language in this country. Just saying that some employees knowing Spanish can't hurt. The American dollar has the same value even when the customer speaks Spanish, so might as well seek out that demographic to reach for more sales.
It's one thing to require English be spoken to customers and that all business be conducted in English, it is another thing entirely to mandate that two people can't speak Spanish to each other when they are not communicating to customers. There is a difference. The latter is a form of discrimination whereas the former is not.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm sorry but how does Sears get away with banning Spanish spoken among employees?
MMMMM, could be because as you say, these people are employees of Sears. And since Sears is privately owned they set the rules. And if I'm not mistaken this IS America where English is the official language....

Quote:
How does Arizona get away with passing legislation that is bigoted consider that over 40% of the states citizens are Hispanic.
Maybe because most of the "hispanic people" agree with the legislation and don't consider it bigoted?

Quote:
At some point, you have to blame Hispanics for their apathy and not taking the initiative to register and vote. How does Jan Brewer win reelection in a Hispanic populated state like Arizona.
How did she win? by having a platform that the majority agreed on.

Quote:
With so many LEGAL Hispanics living in this country, how does legislation or store policies pass??
Private store policies are not up for a popular vote for starters....

Another thing might be many "hispanic" (read Cuban/Puerto Rican) vote conservative and don't like Mexicans?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:55 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,208,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnapostate View Post
I don't know what a "La Raza vato" is
La Raza: The term was coined by Mexican scholar José Vasconcelos to reflect the fact that the people of Latin America are a mixture of many of the world’s races, cultures, and religions. Some people have mistranslated “La Raza” to mean “The Race,” implying that it is a term meant to exclude others. In fact, the full term coined by Vasconcelos, “La Raza Cósmica,” meaning the “cosmic people,” was developed to reflect not purity but the mixture inherent in the Latino people. This is an inclusive concept, meaning that Latinos share with all other peoples of the world a common heritage and destiny.

What Does La Raza Mean?

Vato: (also Bato) is Chicano slang equivalent to "man", "dude", pal, or brother. It can also be used to refer to a fellow gang member. According to the Chicano poet Luis Alberto Urrea, the word originated in Pachuco slang of the 1940s, and is derived from "the once-common friendly insult chivato, or goat. It had a slightly unacceptable air to it, which the Locos and Weesas of the Chuco world enjoyed. They were able to take the sting out of racism by calling themselves a bunch of names assimilated 'good Mexicans' didn't like."

What does "vato" mean? - Yahoo! Answers

So as you can see the person who used this phrase has no idea what it means and has a problem with anyone getting in their face.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikCortez
And I get mad when some La Raza vato tries to get in my face cause I only speak English.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I can see the rationale and philosophy behind "English Only" among employees at work... I 90% agree with it.

As an employer, it is reasonable for you WANT to create an atmosphere where co-workers get along and can understand one another. How is that done? By mandating ENGLISH, which can be spoken and understood by all races and ethnicities. Otherwise, I can see it leading to discord among employees, covert insubordination and lack of respect towards supervisors, etc.
That is not addressing the problem and is instead mandating a discriminatory practice. If camaraderie is disrupted at work because certain employees are being rude and speaking Spanish directly to someone who only understands English and fails to speak English when asking for a clarification, then that person should be fired for being disrespectful to their co-workers. That issue deals with a lack of respect for co-workers not the use of a foreign language. If two workers wish to discuss an issue in Spanish among each other and it has nothing to do with a customer, they should be allowed to do so.

Quote:
There was probably problems among employees that led to the institution of the policy to begin with.
There were probably bigoted customers who complained about certain employees speaking Spanish and felt uncomfortable with a foreign language being spoken aloud.

Quote:
Did you ever think that sometimes, "Hispanics" agree with policies towards illegals and promoting assimilation and American culture? Just because you have a Spanish last name doesn't mean you have to support Mexican-firsters, the reconquista, illegal immigration or resist assimilation.
Did you ever think Hispanics are intelligent enough to recognize the difference between immigration laws, assimilation and discrimination? Many American Hispanics are multiple generation Americans. They speak English fluently but are capable of speaking Spanish as well. They endorse tough immigration laws and are as American as anyone else. They also happen to enjoy speaking Spanish with one another. Don't you think they are intelligent enough to understand the distinction between speaking Spanish to an English only speaker and speaking Spanish to a colleague who is fluent in Spanish? It's ignorant to assume that all Hispanics who oppose Sears policy is against immigration reform and is not assimilated into American culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies