Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 08:50 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,315,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Free country does not mean anything goes or changing what we speak.

If they are here they should be learning English, not imposing another.
That is what ESL & Bilingual programs are for, to help non English speakers.

So English is our language.

T
Most Hispanics I know speak English along with Spanish. I don't understand why that angers you. Jealousy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 09:01 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,688,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Most Hispanics I know speak English along with Spanish. I don't understand why that angers you. Jealousy?
Who said I was angry?

They speak Spanish because their parents speak Spanish and don't know much English when they came here legally or illegally. They speak English because they need to learn English, which is America's language.

Does learning English anger you?

Last edited by All American NYC; 03-30-2011 at 09:24 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:16 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,296,876 times
They don't speak English because no one forces them to. They love their "heritage" a little too much and they U.S. not enough. They take America for granted.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:22 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,090 times
How does Sears get away with making annoucements over the loudspeaker solely in Spanish? How does Sears get away with hiring illegal immigrants who barely speak English and then create problems that require American citizens like to me to spent hours sorting out?

Enough already.

If you are here you should be fluent in English. If you don't speak English go home. Better yet don't come here. I can only imagine the outrage in the Latino community were a group of English speakers to move to a Latino country without permission, refuse to speak Spanish and start making demands on the natives.

The reverse situation is equally insulting.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:26 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,315,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
How does Sears get away with making annoucements over the loudspeaker solely in Spanish? .
It's called FREE enterprise. How can people butcher words like announcement and complain about poor English skills?

Enough already indeed.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:49 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,878,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
It's called FREE enterprise. How can people butcher words like announcement and complain about poor English skills?

Enough already indeed.
Um excuse me.

Where the heck did I demonstrate poor English skills?

Sears can do whatever it wants. But when they illustrate they don't give a damn about the needs of the non-Spanish speaking population they lose my patronage. See how that works?

It's simply not okay to move to the United States and refuse to speak English, let alone to literally demand that natives learn Spanish. I am at a loss to understand how anyone can defend that practice as anything but an arrogant invasion by morally bankrupt creeps.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:04 PM

157 posts, read 141,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
To imply that there is a "hispanic cause" is to imply that Cubans, Puerto Ricans, Argentinians, Chileans, Bolivians (and more) are all in on this. Rest assured, they are not. What you mean to say is "the illegal Mexican" cause.
I stand corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, just because someone speaks Spanish doesn't mean they don't or can't speak English. I know stubbornly monolingual Americans just can't comprehend that.
Are you saying that we are just not as smart as those stinking illegals who tramp all over our kindness and take advantage of every last benefit our country has to offer our true citizens who are here legally?

Illegal mexicans just can't comprehend that this is America and WE SPEAK ENGLISH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I think the difference is that I am Puerto Rican and not Mexican. I cannot speak as to the Mexican-American experience in Arizona. All I know is that if good people can come over (illegally) to try and find honest work, then it is equally easy for bad people to come over and do dishonest work. Many of these organizations that deal in human trafficking also run drugs. It needs to be stopped and the good people will suffer due to the bad. But, there really isn't a good solution that will insulate them from what needs to be done.
Whether an illegal is here for honest work (an oximoron, by the way) or here to do harm, THEY ARE STILL ILLEGAL AND BREAKING THE LAW. If they are illegal, they DO NOT BELONG HERE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I'm one of these Hispanics who identifies himself as an American...a Hispanic American. Immigration is not the issue, discrimination is. Requiring that English be spoken even among private conversations among employees is a form of discrimination and imposing upon one's civil rights. Racially profiling is a form of discrimination. There is no justification for requiring that an employee speak English at all times including private conversations that one employee would have with another person whether that person is an employee or a customer. Requiring that English be spoken to customers, and that business be conducted in English is appropriate, telling two employees they can't speak Spanish to each other at work is not appropriate.
An employer doesn't need justification to ask employees to speak only english. They can require certain dress, they can require certain behavior, and they can require certain language. The employer pays the wages, they have the right to require anything they want. If you don't like it, move on to a different job.

Quote:
It's one thing to require English be spoken to customers and that all business be conducted in English, it is another thing entirely to mandate that two people can't speak Spanish to each other when they are not communicating to customers. There is a difference. The latter is a form of discrimination whereas the former is not.
Not discrimination at all. If Sears require a uniform for employees, they can fire a person for refusing, whether that person is in the back room or out front with customers. There is no difference. If an employer requires that we don't use foul language around customers, or anywhere when an employee is on the clock, the employee can be fired. No difference.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM

37,818 posts, read 41,126,784 times
Because it's rude to speak another language in front of a third party and in this case that would be customers.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:09 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,345,332 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but how does Sears get away with banning Spanish spoken among employees?

How does Arizona get away with passing legislation that is bigoted consider that over 40% of the states citizens are Hispanic.

At some point, you have to blame Hispanics for their apathy and not taking the initiative to register and vote. How does Jan Brewer win reelection in a Hispanic populated state like Arizona.

With so many LEGAL Hispanics living in this country, how does legislation or store policies pass??
Maybe the LEGAL Hispanics in AZ are sick of the open border policy and want a Jan Brewer type to crack down on the illegal immigration taking place? Most Hispanics I know despise how illegals are making a mockery of our immigration systems.

Instead of questioning us on CD why Hispanics don't vote and protest, why don't you tell us yourself. Aren't you, yourself, of Hispanic origin?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM

93 posts, read 139,207 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but how does Sears get away with banning Spanish spoken among employees?

How does Arizona get away with passing legislation that is bigoted consider that over 40% of the states citizens are Hispanic.

At some point, you have to blame Hispanics for their apathy and not taking the initiative to register and vote. How does Jan Brewer win reelection in a Hispanic populated state like Arizona.

With so many LEGAL Hispanics living in this country, how does legislation or store policies pass??
so why the hell do you assume that all hispaics feel the same way? People like you who think that all hispanics are pro illegal immigration really pisses off hispamics hispanics like myself. Here in NM our new Hispanic Governor Susanna Martinez got voted in Mainly because she wants to get rid of illeqal invaders! In NM the majority of hispanics despise illegals!!!! Alot of hispanics especially here in NM think that illegals give all hispanjcs a bad name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies