Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Not a big PETA fan but the notion of a problem elephant is laughable. Elephants are docile quiet creatures but incredibly smart. The elephants must have been provoked in order for it to lash out at humans.
Not exactly true. A bull elephant in musth becomes extremely aggressive and very dangerous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 12:28 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Did you do it yourself or wait for some rich Chinese guys to get vacation time?
It wouldn't matter who did it, the point was the result of the venture which was to cut down the overgrown population. If a chinese business man came in and did it on flim handing everyone caps of his business, I would care less, the objective was met.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:36 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,958,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Elephants are the problem??????? Talk about an idiot. How many elephants are there and how many people are there. And the elephants have been there a lot longer than the people. But as always the ones with the guns win.

Yes, in this instance, elephants were the problem. They were destroying their crops, endangering the food source of the population. If you do not think that is sufficient grounds for action, then it is quite clear that you and those who think like you were not responsible for the survival of mankind. In fact, if we thought more like you, nature would have exterminated us a long time ago. You go ahead though and pat yourself on the back for your backwards emotional diatribe, I am sure there are some here just lapping it up.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:50 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Godaddy CEO Bob Parson traveled to Africa to rid a village of a problem elephant - and posted the kill on his blog. PETA responded by giving him their "first-ever Scummiest CEO of the Year Award". Parsons replied "I understand PETA has an agenda, but I refuse to go along with their extortion-style practice."

Hunting Problem Elephant - My 2011 Vacation - Video.ME (http://www.video.me/ViewVideo.aspx?vid=380843 - broken link) (video - but no buxom GoDaddy babes)
Go Daddy Founder & CEO Bob Parsons' Personal Blog
That guy is like his company's service
There really should be other ways to cope with elephants, they are so similar to humans (intelligence, social behavior conscience...), killing them is like killing humans in my opinion. There are too many humans, not too many elephants.
And if those Africans think they need to kill elephants, why not do it themselves, with machetes like they butchered each other down in Rwanda No need for foreigners, how I despise those Safari kind of people

Old 03-31-2011, 06:22 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
there are I'm sure an elephant organization that should of been contacted to tranq this elephant and transport him a few hundred miles away. to kill it on the pretense it was a danger is just political BS. the villagers got to eat the meat? big deal if go daddy cared enough he could have donated some much needed money to the village that would last longer than one elephant BBQ. this CEO is nothing but a slime trophy hunter

Old 03-31-2011, 06:28 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,021,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there are I'm sure an elephant organization that should of been contacted to tranq this elephant and transport him a few hundred miles away. to kill it on the pretense it was a danger is just political BS. the villagers got to eat the meat? big deal if go daddy cared enough he could have donated some much needed money to the village that would last longer than one elephant BBQ. this CEO is nothing but a slime trophy hunter
I thought the exact same thing.......the CEO is the king of slimeballs, and not just for this.....not gonna comment on the ad campaigns.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:31 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,782 times
The kills are organized by the Zimbabwe government. The hunter pays £6,500-£37,000 to shoot an elephant and the gov't arranges the time and place and a guide. The gov't gets the money and the ivory, the villagers get the meat, and the hunter gets a trophy photo.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5537002.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
The kills are organized by the Zimbabwe government. The hunter pays £6,500-£37,000 to shoot an elephant and the gov't arranges the time and place and a guide. The gov't gets the money and the ivory, the villagers get the meat, and the hunter gets a trophy photo.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article5537002.
so the government is just as sick as the trophy hunter. trophy hunters give real hunters a bad, bad name. sickening

Old 03-31-2011, 06:40 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
so the government is just as sick as the trophy hunter. trophy hunters give real hunters a bad, bad name. sickening
The villagers can't kill an elephant on their own and must wait, while their crops get destroyed & they go hungry, for a foreigner on vacation to show up. The gov't keeps the money and nothing trickles down to the village.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:44 PM

251 posts, read 209,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yes, in this instance, elephants were the problem. They were destroying their crops, endangering the food source of the population. If you do not think that is sufficient grounds for action, then it is quite clear that you and those who think like you were not responsible for the survival of mankind. In fact, if we thought more like you, nature would have exterminated us a long time ago. You go ahead though and pat yourself on the back for your backwards emotional diatribe, I am sure there are some here just lapping it up.
I love my elephants,because they taste like chicken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies