Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 01:29 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,960,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Did you miss the part where it said he was able to rid the village of a problem elephant?

It doesn't sound like it was just for sport.
Of course he did it for sport - otherwise he wouldn't have taken a week or more off work and traveled to Zimbabwe to shoot it himself. He would have hired a local to shoot it or would bought the village a gun. Give a man a fish....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Elephants are the last animal I'd ever want to shoot, after dogs and humans. I guess it would depend if it was rampaging and killing somebody. Same goes for dogs and humans.
I refuse to go to any circus if they have animal acts except for domesticated animals. Elephants are extremely intelligent and social creatures. Give them their habitat and they won't bother anybody. Treat them kindly and with respect and they can be trained for labor in some cases, like horses.
I'm not against big game hunting if its well monitored and controlled and the game isn't endangered. Canned hunts are for slobs pretending to be something they aren't: Hunters.
I do not want to shoot anything, except to eat it. However, I have absolutely no problem shooting a human or a wild critter in self defense. Fortunately, I have not had the occassion to defend myself, but I am still armed for bear whenever I go fishing or on a hike. It is always better to have a firearm and not need it, than to need a firearm and not have it.

Bull elephants can be extremely dangerous when in musth. They can attack without provocation (much like our moose in Alaska).

Old 04-01-2011, 01:38 PM

7,211 posts, read 9,435,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Godaddy CEO Bob Parson traveled to Africa to rid a village of a problem elephant - and posted the kill on his blog. PETA responded by giving him their "first-ever Scummiest CEO of the Year Award". Parsons replied "I understand PETA has an agenda, but I refuse to go along with their extortion-style practice."

Hunting Problem Elephant - My 2011 Vacation - Video.ME (http://www.video.me/ViewVideo.aspx?vid=380843 - broken link) (video - but no buxom GoDaddy babes)
Go Daddy Founder & CEO Bob Parsons' Personal Blog
I've got mixed feelings about PETA. Some of the stuff they come up with is really crazy. OTOH, they've down good work in highlighting the abuse of animals in factory farms.

I'm not conflicted at all about this Go Daddy CEO however...he's nothing but a pig..

Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,202,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Elephants are the last animal I'd ever want to shoot, after dogs and humans. I guess it would depend if it was rampaging and killing somebody. Same goes for dogs and humans.
I refuse to go to any circus if they have animal acts except for domesticated animals. Elephants are extremely intelligent and social creatures. Give them their habitat and they won't bother anybody. Treat them kindly and with respect and they can be trained for labor in some cases, like horses.
I'm not against big game hunting if its well monitored and controlled and the game isn't endangered. Canned hunts are for slobs pretending to be something they aren't: Hunters.
I agree, elephants are highly intelligent, social creatures, human abuse of them for entertainment in appalling, and should be banned.

Old 04-01-2011, 01:48 PM

589 posts, read 757,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Did you miss the part where it said he was able to rid the village of a problem elephant?

It doesn't sound like it was just for sport.

BS.

There is a very common practice in Africa which involves tranquilizing the animal in question and moving him to a more suitable location. South Africa routinely does that, and it commonly sends teams into Zimbabwe to relocate "problem" animals. So that argument does not hold up at all.

Zimbabwe itself also has a VERY large Animal sanctuary in its South which is connected to another VERY large sanctuary in South Africa. Combined those sanctuaries are larger than most individual US states. So lack of places to move the animal to is not a problem. And most any park in Africa would love to have Elephants - since so many African parks have none anymore thanks to poachers [like the ghoul in this article who is a glorified poacher].

Killing the animal is simply a horrible excuse for Trophy hunting. He didn't pursue the other options since he did not want that. He wanted to kill a Elephant for its head - as though that proves his manliness to kill a animal from several hundred yards away with a gun and guides to help him, with 0 danger to himself. He is rich to, 1000$ would have seen the animal relocated in less time than it took him to fly there, and it would have helped that African village monetarily if he paid locals to help in relocation.

And the people defending him come across bad...This rich American didn't open a newspaper up and see a article talking about a Elephant "problem" in some backwater African village and go "Wow, I MUST fly there and kill it!...to protect the Africans". Haha, right. Most likely he googled Elephant hunting and found his semi-legal excuse to kill one that way.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:03 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
BS.

There is a very common practice in Africa which involves tranquilizing the animal in question and moving him to a more suitable location. South Africa routinely does that, and it commonly sends teams into Zimbabwe to relocate "problem" animals. So that argument does not hold up at all.

Zimbabwe itself also has a VERY large Animal sanctuary in its South which is connected to another VERY large sanctuary in South Africa. Combined those sanctuaries are larger than most individual US states. So lack of places to move the animal to is not a problem. And most any park in Africa would love to have Elephants - since so many African parks have none anymore thanks to poachers [like the ghoul in this article who is a glorified poacher].

Killing the animal is simply a horrible excuse for Trophy hunting. He didn't pursue the other options since he did not want that. He wanted to kill a Elephant for its head - as though that proves his manliness to kill a animal from several hundred yards away with a gun and guides to help him, with 0 danger to himself. He is rich to, 1000$ would have seen the animal relocated in less time than it took him to fly there, and it would have helped that African village monetarily if he paid locals to help in relocation.

And the people defending him come across bad...This rich American didn't open a newspaper up and see a article talking about a Elephant "problem" in some backwater African village and go "Wow, I MUST fly there and kill it!...to protect the Africans". Haha, right. Most likely he googled Elephant hunting and found his semi-legal excuse to kill one that way.

Exactly. Very well said. Relocating elephants is very common practice. From 2001 to 2004 1,000 elephants were relocated from South Africa to Mozambique. Also worth mentioning that this is the 5th elephant kill for Parsons.

GoDaddy.com founder criticized by PETA for elephant-hunting video - CNN.com

Old 04-01-2011, 02:52 PM

589 posts, read 757,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Exactly. Very well said. Relocating elephants is very common practice. From 2001 to 2004 1,000 elephants were relocated from South Africa to Mozambique. Also worth mentioning that this is the 5th elephant kill for Parsons.

GoDaddy.com founder criticized by PETA for elephant-hunting video - CNN.com

Well if he goes for a 6th poach, I hope he has a accident involving some tusks and his face. That would be karma at work.

Old 04-01-2011, 02:59 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,572,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Well if he goes for a 6th poach, I hope he has a accident involving some tusks and his face. That would be karma at work.
Don't forget now, he's a hero helping the little people. Because as we all know, in a part of the world where wild life and tourism is a major source of revenue, and animal conservation is nearly a religion, they couldn't possibly have found a conservation expert infinitely better qualified to handle a naughty elephant than some overgrown boy scout from Arizona.

Old 04-01-2011, 03:03 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,759,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
Elephants are one of the animals with the highest intellignece besides Dophins. Do you know that they can recognize themselves in a mirror, the only other animals that can are the Ape and Dophin. Elephants are close to each other, and yes they do form bonds, they protect each other. The elephant is also an animal that mourns the death of other elephants, they really mourn each other as we do.
Indeed, they are even ahead of humans and the other apes in that they not only recognize themselves in the mirror, but do so at first go. Even humans initially think it is someone else in the mirror.

And like humans they have extremely varied personalities. There was a group of male teenage elephants years ago, which, similar to human gangs, liked causing trouble and fighting. They walked around killing rhinos without any reason. Usually those two species live side by side peacefully as they don't compete for anything such as food.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:03 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,454,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
did you miss the part where there are several elephant sanctuary and wild animal organizations that could have relocated the animal?

That's what i'm talking about, why couldn't this elephant be relocated, that is what i am not clear about here, seems to me this guy had every intent of doing just as he planned no matter what, to kill this elephant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies