Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 05:36 PM

146 posts, read 250,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I'm not really what one would call a right winger but I'll answer your question:

Eliminate the Departments of Education, Agriculture, HHS, Interior, Transportation and the rest of 'em. Leave the State Dept, Immigration Dept and the War Dept.

Eliminate all laws unless they are to punish violence and fraud. This include all federal workplace laws and environmental laws.

Limit the federal government to these areas: Defense (though we could cut the military in half and be fine), diplomatic relations with other nations, and securing our borders. Which means knowing who comes in. Punish theft and violence.

Everyting else, including printing of money, roads, education etc.. should be left to the States or even better to the private sector.

If you want to know what the typical republican wants think George W. Bush.
Thank you!! I hear many calls to control spending. Which I can agree with. I believe local governments are not so prone to be bought out by corporate lobbyists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2011, 05:42 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,737 times
I'm with jersey. I think republicans have a reputation as being "for business" but in reality I think both parties are controlled by business interests. I identify myself as less republican and more conservative.

I think republicans are for business, they are definitely working to make things easier for businesses and this has disappointed me. I feel republicans are pro-business on the law end, they break down regulations and make it easier for businesses to engage in unethical practices.

On the flip side I feel as though democrats are also pro-business but they go about it in a way that is able to be spun in a more positive light. Democrats pass laws which force people to purchases goods and sevices from businesses. My best example of this is the recent healthcare act. This did nothing to lower the cost of healthcare insurance for my husband and myself. It still will cost us 1200/month if we choose to purchase it. However, what the bill did do is make it practically illegal for us to not purchase the expensice pocily. It is forcing us to engage in business with the insurance company. Who wins in this situation?

So I feel as though both sides are being manipulated by "big business'. I guess it is a question of values. I would rather have the freedom to choose which company I do business with. This is very important to me. I don't mind assuming the risk, I am a very (overly) educated person and able to do my own research and make my own decisions.

As for what proposals the "right-wingers" have brought to the table, I favor Ron Paul's fair tax. I am sure you have heard of this but just in case here goes. Ron Paul is proposing a plan that does away with income tax and (omg I am watching all in the family and she makes 2.65/hr, 10 hours a week. lol) sorry, and the irs. It raises taxes on goods and services, this is the way the government makes it money. It sounds suspicisous at first, but I think it makes sense. I think it is the only way to force those who make more money pay more money. If they buy a million dollar yacht they have to pay 100K in taxes (I am making these numbers up) regardelss of their exemption status.

I got this from Ron Paul's website:
“I want to abolish the income tax, but I don’t want to replace it with anything. About 45 percent of all federal revenue comes from the personal income tax. That means that about 55 percent — over half of all revenue — comes from other sources, like excise taxes, fees, and corporate taxes.
We could eliminate the income tax, replace it with nothing, and still fund the same level of big government we had in the late 1990s. We don’t need to “replace” the income tax at all. I see a consumption tax as being a little better than the personal income tax, and I would vote for the Fair-Tax if it came up in the House of Representatives, but it is not my goal. We can do better.”

Now before I post more I will sit back and see the level of flaming that occurs. If it feels as though a city block is on fire I shall politely back out of the thread and let it burn away.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:45 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,886,289 times
The Op needs to think for himself. If he is addicted to free stuff promises that is his problem. No interventions here.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:52 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
As a politically moderate, personally conservative Black woman who is a registered Independent yet tends to vote Democratic, I hate that the Republican party (and/or their anointed mouthpieces) constistently lets me know that my "kind" is not welcome in their party.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:55 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,464,737 times
calipoppy I consitently see the tea party and republicans painted as a racist group but have never seen it personally. I am honestly curious if you have experienced this personally or just seen what is reported on tv?

I would like to say it is all media hype but I just learned there was a KKK rally in VA a few weeks ago. I cannot believe that stuff still happens. It blows my mind.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:56 PM

60 posts, read 157,997 times
Earmarks and pork show me you are asking about two different colored pigs. Follow the money of lobbyists and donors in our history and you will discern the ebb and flow left, right, and central. It should not be about choosing sides of self interest that do not follow the design of our constitution where the focus was to be the people, not the aristocracy of wealth. Even the Tea-Party is simply a pig of a different color. I use a pig as an example because we associate a pig with with self serving excess.
Capitalism is a wonderful system motivating individuals to be inventive and gain prosperity. Inventiveness in government is self-serving interpretation of the Constitution, and prosperity in government is an oxymoron to the purpose of serving.
When elections become centered on entitlements and the federal government the rice bucket, the concept of family and local government as the moral fabric of our country frays. The two largest beneficiaries of entitlements, the poor and seniors, neither of which play an important roll in the promotion and advance of capitalistic principles, now control our elections. The sufferance of a dwindling middle class is stalled and fueled by attacks of selfishness and lack of compassion claims, yet each of us must make decisions all the time regarding ourselves and our families with regard to afford ability. but how do you promote politically that the middle class, the taxpayers, simply cannot afford the super-highway to idealistic social services.
My perception is wrong-wing no matter the color of the pig.

Old 04-16-2011, 05:57 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
As a politically moderate, personally conservative Black woman who is a registered Independent yet tends to vote Democratic, I hate that the Republican party (and/or their anointed mouthpieces) constistently lets me know that my "kind" is not welcome in their party.
Political Moderate? Personally Conservative? Surely you jest.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:02 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Political Moderate? Personally Conservative? Surely you jest.
I'm sorry, do we know each other?

Old 04-16-2011, 06:05 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,330,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I'm sorry, do we know each other?

Oh, and I'm a diehard leftwing liberal. Touche.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:09 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Typical liberal. You want others to do your work for you.
That's a good way to get someone to agree with you; insult them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies