Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 12:26 AM

146 posts, read 250,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Okay, let me give this a try:

The bottom line or underlying truth is simply that while leftist philosophies and the policies that they generate sound good in theory, they don't work at all in practice because they run counter to the law of natural selection as well as human nature in general. Like it or not there are strong, gifted, and capable people and then there are weak and incompetent people. Right wing policies reward the capable and they thrive. Left wing policies hamstring the capable and nobody thrives.

"If you're not a liberal at 20 you have no heart. If you're not a conservative at 40 you have no brain." -- Winston Churchill
O.K I can see that. Reminds me of what my LCPO in the Navy once told me. If you treat the slackers and the overachievers equally you will eventually find more slackers and less overachievers. I understand the concept of every man pulling his own weight and being held responsible for his own destiny. However I also understand that sometimes bad things happen to hardworking people and everyone doesn't start the race from the same block. As in the case of those that did the right thing, worked hard their whole life but suddenly due to technology advancement their trade becomes obsolete. Or personal finance not being taught in school and the rules and laws constantly changing to assist the exploitation of the masses. Isn't the government also meant to protect the weak from the strong? To ensure that no person is unfairly robbed their right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? I know Democrats preach that in words but only half heartedly follow through with action. It seems that many Conservatives choose to totally ignore or justify the disenfranchised middle class during the current economic conditions. What measures are suggested ensure that the lazies looking for free ride at the taxpayers expense are differentiated from those whom fell on hard times and just need a boost in the right direction and relief from predatory lenders picking them apart?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2011, 12:48 AM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrano941 View Post
O.K I can see that. Reminds me of what my LCPO in the Navy once told me. If you treat the slackers and the overachievers equally you will eventually find more slackers and less overachievers. I understand the concept of every man pulling his own weight and being held responsible for his own destiny. However I also understand that sometimes bad things happen to hardworking people and everyone doesn't start the race from the same block. As in the case of those that did the right thing, worked hard their whole life but suddenly due to technology advancement their trade becomes obsolete. Or personal finance not being taught in school and the rules and laws constantly changing to assist the exploitation of the masses. Isn't the government also meant to protect the weak from the strong? To ensure that no person is unfairly robbed their right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness? I know Democrats preach that in words but only half heartedly follow through with action. It seems that many Conservatives choose to totally ignore or justify the disenfranchised middle class during the current economic conditions. What measures are suggested ensure that the lazies looking for free ride at the taxpayers expense are differentiated from those whom fell on hard times and just need a boost in the right direction and relief from predatory lenders picking them apart?
Good post. You brought up a very good point: left unchecked right wing policies have the potential to ensure the dominance of a predatory class that can make life miserable for everyone else. This is why even though I will most likely always vote republican I do admit that power changing hands from election to election is probably a good thing. It's definitely a very delicate balance.

Last edited by Zekester; 04-17-2011 at 01:21 AM..

Old 04-17-2011, 10:58 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Jeez, Louise! This is the second reference to Robert Bryd today. (The other was in a different thread.) Did Rush give the RW this talking point today?
Is that supposed your version of an insult?
Read the posts, then comment on the actual content.

Old 04-17-2011, 11:43 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Republicans, Independents, Obama-Haters, Freedom Fighter, Un-ObamaMoron. Whichever one you find the most flattering. I just picked one I meant no offense. I just wanted to hear someone give me something to vote for instead of something to vote against.
How about voting for the American next time

Old 04-17-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
How about voting for the American next time
I could easily counter that depending on which criteria you're using there was no American to vote for. But that would take diving to your level. This post is meant for people with something intelligent to say...

Old 04-17-2011, 01:57 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,761,760 times
Quote:
Thank you I really appreciate your response. So which candidate looks good for you in 2012 and why?
Right now, I'm just listening and I can honestly say, I don't even have a front runner yet in my opinion.

I will just keep my ears open and will gladly give you my opinion when I do support one. Deal?

Old 04-17-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Right now, I'm just listening and I can honestly say, I don't even have a front runner yet in my opinion.

I will just keep my ears open and will gladly give you my opinion when I do support one. Deal?
Works for me!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:34 PM

401 posts, read 473,692 times
Quote:
This is the golden question. I think a good starting point would be passing random drug test in order to receive benefits. Mandatory attendance in employment/career counseling. There are other basic measures that could be in place. These measures should be functional in nature.

Old 04-17-2011, 04:09 PM

1,233 posts, read 1,218,293 times
"O.K Right Wingers my ears are open!! Convert me!!"

You must first prepare.

Instructions on how to prepare for Right Wing Conversion:

Alright. Now that your ears are open...

1) Go to Home Depot and buy some cement. (Use a gold card for effect).

2) Bring cement home from store.

3) Get a bucket and pour some cement and water into the bucket and mix it real good.

4) Let it sit for about 5 minutes then carefully pour it into your ears. Do one side first than the other until head is completely full.

5) Let harden in your head real good.

You are now officially converted and qualified for Glen Beck University.

Do not forget to wash out the bucket.

Last edited by oldtimer2; 04-17-2011 at 04:20 PM..

Old 04-17-2011, 04:21 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
I'm not really what one would call a right winger but I'll answer your question:

Eliminate the Departments of Education, Agriculture, HHS, Interior, Transportation and the rest of 'em. Leave the State Dept, Immigration Dept and the War Dept.

Eliminate all laws unless they are to punish violence and fraud. This include all federal workplace laws and environmental laws.

Limit the federal government to these areas: Defense (though we could cut the military in half and be fine), diplomatic relations with other nations, and securing our borders. Which means knowing who comes in. Punish theft and violence.

Everyting else, including printing of money, roads, education etc.. should be left to the States or even better to the private sector.

If you want to know what the typical republican wants think George W. Bush.
What?! So you would want to not have an FDA protect your food? No CDC to promote public health?

This is ridiculously not thought out.

Education left to the private sector? Right...so if Johnny gets an F and is rich his parents could then fire his teacher because Johnny will leave the school and thus decrease funding. Private schools don't have that problem now because there is always the public option.

Roads being privatized. Great solution. Near my parents house is the 91 freeway...one of the most congested in the nation. It spans 16 lanes connected Orange County to Riverside County. One portion (about 3 lanes in each direction) is private toll only. It has only served to create more congestion since not everyone can afford the high prices (some times $15) for the tolls.

Theft and violence should not be the only crimes prosecuted. Negligence, abuse (which can include poor working conditions), discrimination.

It's thoughts like those that make me realize that there is a reason why people that have these beliefs generally are middle class and White. They've taken advantage of the very things they bash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies