Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Liberal America, Conservative America or Libertarian America: Pick One
I Would Move to a 100% Liberal America 49 26.34%
I Would Move to a 100% Conservative America 37 19.89%
I Would Move to a 100% Libertarian America 87 46.77%
I Would Move to Hills and Be a Lone Survivalist!! 13 6.99%
Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Liberal Land, Libertarian Land, Conservative Land.

I would add a fourth and not live in any of the above.

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan, ( no one knows where this is ) has considered seceding from the rest of Michigan for over a hundred years. Supporters have called it Superiorland, since we abut Lake Superior. The largest freshwater lake on Earth.
Not quite. Lake Superior only has a surface area of 31,700 square miles. Whereas the Caspian Sea has a surface area of 143,200 square miles. If you want to go by volume, Lake Baikal in Russia holds more freshwater than Lake Superior.

Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes, but not nearly the world's largest in any respect.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:50 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
On the border of all three.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:05 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is a no-brainer. Of course I would live in the conservative nation. The liberal nation hates firearms and has nothing but utter contempt for the military, so invading them would be a walk in the park. And everyone knows libertarians are nothing more than anarchists so there would not be a libertarian "nation."

So at the end of the day, there would only be a conservative nation.

really? if you go by the federalist papers and our founding fathers quotes, then the USA would be closer to a Libertarian nation than a conservative one.
I as a veteran do not believe in no goverment as a anarchy is supposed to be. but I do believe in limited goverment where goverment does not butt into the peoples lives or get involved in other nations business without it being a national security concern.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:07 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,678,403 times
The libertarian nation would be a mess. Every man for himself? Dog eat dog? No thanks. I prefer civilization.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:14 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,215,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The libertarian nation would be a mess. Every man for himself? Dog eat dog? No thanks. I prefer civilization.
That is not what a libertarian nation would be at all. Voluntary cooperation without the threat of institutionalized force is more appropriate.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? if you go by the federalist papers and our founding fathers quotes, then the USA would be closer to a Libertarian nation than a conservative one.
Hardly. Libertarians are anarchists, which is not anything like what the founding fathers were.

Quote:
I as a veteran do not believe in no goverment as a anarchy is supposed to be. but I do believe in limited goverment where goverment does not butt into the peoples lives or get involved in other nations business without it being a national security concern.
The US Constitution is suppose to limit the federal government. Your state constitution limits your state government. As far as the government butting into people lives, that depends on what those people are doing. If they are violating the law, I not only expect but demand that government butt into their lives. If they are abiding by the law, then there is no reason for government to butt into their lives.

With regard to foreign policy, that is the province of the President. If you do not like a President involving the nation in the affairs of another nation, vote for someone else. The US Constitution gives the President the authority to establish foreign policy, and as I am sure you know, that is the Supreme Law of the Land despite what libertarian anarchists may think.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

who said anything about every man for themselves. libertarians do not mind goverment, they jusy like limited goverment. services that are required for civilization if all fine and dandy, but services that are not needed are not in the pervue of goverment, but the states or the people themselves.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
A cross between the conservative and libertarian nation. I like limited government but with regulations that make sense. I also like the live and let live attitude of libertarianism.

The liberal nation would collapse under its own weight. The numbers of takers far outpace the numbers of workers. Everyone would be so regulated that you'd have to sign a waiver just to buy a can of Coke. There would be food police, PC police, the only news allowed would be NPR, no time off for religious holidays. Everyone would drive a Chevy Volt and wear birkenstocks. Showering would be limited to once/week to conserve water. The national anthem would be immediately changed to "what have you done for me lately". The American Flag would be outlawed as would all religions other than Islam. Not even cops would be allowed to carry guns. It would be mandated that all girls have at least one abortion before age 20. Sex Ed would start in preschool with proper condom usage and "how to masturbate" clinics with live demonstrations. You would get fined for farting in public under the new anti-pollution laws.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
who said anything about every man for themselves. libertarians do not mind goverment, they jusy like limited goverment. services that are required for civilization if all fine and dandy, but services that are not needed are not in the pervue of goverment, but the states or the people themselves.
That does not jive with the official Libertarian Party platform. They advocate for the complete absence of all government. No authoritarian power, where the individual is sovereign. That is the very definition of anarchy.

Old 04-19-2011, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Hardly. Libertarians are anarchists, which is not anything like what the founding fathers were.

The US Constitution is suppose to limit the federal government. Your state constitution limits your state government. As far as the government butting into people lives, that depends on what those people are doing. If they are violating the law, I not only expect but demand that government butt into their lives. If they are abiding by the law, then there is no reason for government to butt into their lives.

With regard to foreign policy, that is the province of the President. If you do not like a President involving the nation in the affairs of another nation, vote for someone else. The US Constitution gives the President the authority to establish foreign policy, and as I am sure you know, that is the Supreme Law of the Land despite what libertarian anarchists may think.

I as a Libertarian believe in limited goverment, not the nanny state in what our current form of goverment is. the goverment is nothing but a tool of force, which is supposed to be the servant of the people, which they are not. goverment in the USA for the last 100 years has been nothing but a master of the people and consider the people they are supposed to be serving slaves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies