Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 02:39 AM

202 posts, read 353,001 times

Advertisements

I would like to start this topic in order to generate genuine theories/thoughts/beliefs behind the existence of a larger than average gay male population in Utah, particularly the SLC area.This began as general observance from both work and outside of work, but blossomed into more when finding out that there were actual some statistics and a lot of shared observances/experiences to back it up.

At first I thought that it might be due to migration from the SF bay area, only to then further observe how many of these gay males were either mormon or ex-mormon and largely from Utah.

Here's a link for another forum discussing the existence of gays at BYU:

There may be more gay Mormons than non-Mormons

Old 04-24-2011, 03:21 AM

47 posts, read 107,219 times
To oppress an idea is to give it allure.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:04 AM

202 posts, read 353,001 times
I get that...but, that doesn't explain why in many other traditionalist religions, ie catholicism, islam, judaism, hinduism, there isn't this notable larger than average gay male population being birthed...(but comparing perhaps mormonism to catholic priests and the higher than average tendency there...that might be something).

I read that the LDS church preaches that sex is dirty and a sin and should only be done with wife/husband in order to procreate. They are also taught to be very ashamed of their naked bodies. I am thinking that this kind of teaching messes with the young minds in the LDS church and could be the potential catalyst for all kinds of sexual dysfunction later in life...

Old 04-24-2011, 05:53 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,477,486 times
I read a study once that "cured" homosexual behavior in sheep. They found that the mother was hormone deficient in a particular hormone. Replacing this hormone while the ewe was pregnant caused a 0% incidence of homosexuality in the offspring. I don't recall what the incidence of homosexuality was before the hormone replacement. This study was done for scientific purposes in order to increase productivity because (of course) if the males won't breed with the females they can't reproduce and that causes loss of profit. So the incidences prior to the study must have been significant to warrant the study. Anyway, I thought this was very interesting and wondered if it applied, at least some of the time, to humans as well. My thoughts on how this might apply to this group is could there possibly be an environmental factor among mormons? Something in their diet, or something in the SLC physical environment?
I find this all very interesting....

Old 04-24-2011, 07:22 AM

78 posts, read 196,197 times
As much as some people wish to believe it, there is zero scientific evidence that being gay can be 'cured' or is due to bad parenting or whatever. Moving on to a real dialog, the main reason I would suggest for a relatively large gay population in SLC is that people born and raised in Utah and Idaho tend to want to be closer to home than in some other places, and SLC is the only place in LDS country where being gay is even remotely accepted.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM

494 posts, read 1,897,976 times
I think it's because of the lack of gay men (or women) in the suburbs. Due to church influences, most gay men & women prefer to live in Salt Lake, where it's more liberal. Believe me, there aren't more gay people in Utah than other states.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,103,566 times
Gay people throughout the US tend to move to urban/suburban areas. Known gays who stay in rural areas very often face rampant discrimination, intimidation, and even physical violence.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:28 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I read a study once that "cured" homosexual behavior in sheep. They found that the mother was hormone deficient in a particular hormone. Replacing this hormone while the ewe was pregnant caused a 0% incidence of homosexuality in the offspring. I don't recall what the incidence of homosexuality was before the hormone replacement. This study was done for scientific purposes in order to increase productivity because (of course) if the males won't breed with the females they can't reproduce and that causes loss of profit. So the incidences prior to the study must have been significant to warrant the study. Anyway, I thought this was very interesting and wondered if it applied, at least some of the time, to humans as well. My thoughts on how this might apply to this group is could there possibly be an environmental factor among mormons? Something in their diet, or something in the SLC physical environment?
I find this all very interesting....
Very interesting.

Gay sheep revisited. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

Gay sheep and human destiny. - By William Saletan - Slate Magazine

Old 04-24-2011, 02:35 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It's probably got a lot to do with polygamy. When the 50 year old polygamists buy up or trade for the young 13 year old girls which they will impregnate and horde, the boys never have a chance to date or marry.

Males and females are at about a 1:1 ratio, but just like in Muslim countries, when one male can buy 10 wives, the ratio doesn't work.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:37 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Raises an old question again, would homosexuals even want to be straight if it were possible to make them straight

Anyone, if hormone problems are the cause of homosexuality I guess it would make sense - strictly from a natural standpoint - if those mothers had kids that are less likely to reproduce and carry over that hormone problem to the next generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies