Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 10:36 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
What about ex-gays, people who used to be homosexual but are now straight?
There is no such thing as a "ex-Gay" Every human being can determine their sexual behavior but not their sexual orientation.

If you are gay you are attracted to you own Sex period!Your sexual orientation is determined at birth however if you want to be "straight" I guess you can lie too yourself forever.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
I would like to start this topic in order to generate genuine theories/thoughts/beliefs behind the existence of a larger than average gay male population in Utah, particularly the SLC area.This began as general observance from both work and outside of work, but blossomed into more when finding out that there were actual some statistics and a lot of shared observances/experiences to back it up.

At first I thought that it might be due to migration from the SF bay area, only to then further observe how many of these gay males were either mormon or ex-mormon and largely from Utah.

Here's a link for another forum discussing the existence of gays at BYU:

There may be more gay Mormons than non-Mormons
My guess would be the inclination to go the other direction after the oppression of fundamental mormonism. I would suggest that it would be an indicator of homosexuality being a chosen lifestyle.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:49 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I heard the reason for that is because the womb environment sees the male hormones as foreign and wants to fight them, and after repeated sons the female body naturally wants to feminize the womb.
Very interesting.

Do gay men see themselves as feminized? I know that the majority of gay men that I encounter seem to have feminine attributes, but do they see themselves that way? This study may be a tad bit disturbing to homosexuals if being "effiminate" is considered bad.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Raises an old question again, would homosexuals even want to be straight if it were possible to make them straight
HELL NO we wouldn't

Thanks.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Very interesting.

Do gay men see themselves as feminized? I know that the majority of gay men that I encounter seem to have feminine attributes, but do they see themselves that way? This study may be a tad bit disturbing to homosexuals if being "effiminate" is considered bad.
Your GayDar(tm) may be faulty.

I've learned, partly through some embarrassing mistakes, that it is not exactly prudent to assume that a male exhibiting effeminate characteristics is gay.

Most of the gay guys I have met don't seem effeminate at all. Last one I met looked, acted and spoke just like Mike Ditka.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:54 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,800,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Seriously? I watched Latter Days in college with my roommate. When the movie ended, without speaking, I got up, removed the DVD from the player, walked into the kitchen, and threw it in the trash. My roommate looked at me and gave me the thumbs up.

Latter Days is quite possibly the worst movie I have ever seen.
Thank you, that movie sucks.

Worst dialogue and most ridiculous storyline.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Very interesting.

Not at all. There certainly are some gay men that would be considered on the feminine side when judged by our societal standards of masculinity and femininity, but they are not the majority of gay men.

Most of my gay male friends are outdoorsmen - they enjoy camping, hiking, hunting, skiing, etc. Most are sports nuts, and many were excellent high school and college athletes. That probably isn't the norm for gay men either (it just reflects my lifestyle), but these types of gays are just as prevalent as the "feminine" ones.

The fact of the matter is gay people are just like you and your friends and your family - the only difference being they are emotionally and sexually attracted to members of the same sex. I imagine if you met 10 random gay men without being told about their homosexuality, you wouldn't even suspect 8 or 9 were gay.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:06 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Your GayDar(tm) may be faulty.

I've learned, partly through some embarrassing mistakes, that it is not exactly prudent to assume that a male exhibiting effeminate characteristics is gay.

Most of the gay guys I have met don't seem effeminate at all. Last one I met looked, acted and spoke just like Mike Ditka.
And on the flip side, most of the "feminine" men I tend to meet are heterosexuals who fall into the goth/emo/hipster scene.

(Picture Kent if you watch the "Amazing Race" TV show)

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And on the flip side, most of the "feminine" men I tend to meet are heterosexuals who fall into the goth/emo/hipster scene.

(Picture Kent if you watch the "Amazing Race" TV show)
Exactly.

I do remember having a realization sometime in college that gay men did not fit into a particular stereotype. Up to that point I more or less thought they all acted just like Carson from ***** Eye.

Then there was that good friend of mine - and not at all effeminate - that got very upset and stopped talking to me when I started dating my future wife...later on I figured out why.

Since then, my GayDar has improved considerably. That, or I've learned how to not assume so much.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
I would like to start this topic in order to generate genuine theories/thoughts/beliefs behind the existence of a larger than average gay male population in Utah, particularly the SLC area.This began as general observance from both work and outside of work, but blossomed into more when finding out that there were actual some statistics and a lot of shared observances/experiences to back it up.

At first I thought that it might be due to migration from the SF bay area, only to then further observe how many of these gay males were either mormon or ex-mormon and largely from Utah.

Here's a link for another forum discussing the existence of gays at BYU:

There may be more gay Mormons than non-Mormons
Being a resident of SLC area, I've wondered the same thing. What exactly is attractive about my city to gay people?

Not that's all bad. Hopefully gay people can bring some sense of asthetic style to the area that has been absent for a hundred years. We are in need of some "class" here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies