Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 09:45 AM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
I have yet to see someone here provide statistics that prove my theory wrong. Thanks and have a nice day!
It is really simple, lets say city A has on average of 1.8 kids per family. Lets assume city B has 4.3 kids per family. Now out of 100 families city A will have 180 kids and city B will have 430. Lets assume 5% of them are gay, that 9 in city A and 21 in city B.

21 is more than 9 BTW. So if they assimilate to the larger city there will be more gay people in city B, it is very simple.

But, right here on CD you can look up the numbers SLC is not in the top 101 cities as a percentage of gay men. //www.city-data.com/top2/c17.html

Thanks for playing but I am sorry, you lost.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:53 PM

202 posts, read 353,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilgi View Post
It is really simple, lets say city A has on average of 1.8 kids per family. Lets assume city B has 4.3 kids per family. Now out of 100 families city A will have 180 kids and city B will have 430. Lets assume 5% of them are gay, that 9 in city A and 21 in city B.

21 is more than 9 BTW. So if they assimilate to the larger city there will be more gay people in city B, it is very simple.

But, right here on CD you can look up the numbers SLC is not in the top 101 cities as a percentage of gay men. //www.city-data.com/top2/c17.html

Thanks for playing but I am sorry, you lost.
haha. no YOU lose...I never claimed that SLC was a city with the most gay couple households, just gay males per capita. I am not surprised that SLC doesn't pop up as one of the top cities for gay male couple households as a lot of the gay males in SLC seem to like to play it on the downlow and tend to live either alone or in households with multiple gay males. Not to mention the fact that SLC has a uniqueness in that the gay mormon males tend to play it even more on the downlow and stay married while keeping the gay lifestyle on the side. This is indeed a fact, not published in the SLC tribune or Deseret News perhaps, but FACT known by those working in the field with HIV+/AIDS gay male population in SLC.

Oh and another thing about those statistics...it only counts those who raise their hand and say "I" out loud and in the light. It doesn't consider factors like the LDS church having a large influence on what does or does not get counted and/or reported on statistically in their "holy" city. Something that this article brings up here:
Quote:
Figures on Salt Lake City's gay population are hard to come by. Leaders of many of the city's advocacy groups don't even venture a guess.

The latest census did not request information about sexual orientation, but did tally 594,391 same-sex couples living together nationwide, with 3,370 of them in Utah. Gay advocates have estimated those numbers undercount the population by as much as 50 percent, because it only counts homosexuals who are in a live-in relationship and admit that to census officials.
http://www.gaypasg.org/gaypasg

/PressClippings/2005/Jun

/Salt%20Lake%20City%20Has%20High%20Gay%20Population .htm

So no, babe, YOu lose.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:50 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,218,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
haha. no YOU lose...I never claimed that SLC was a city with the most gay couple households, just gay males per capita. I am not surprised that SLC doesn't pop up as one of the top cities for gay male couple households as a lot of the gay males in SLC seem to like to play it on the downlow and tend to live either alone or in households with multiple gay males. Not to mention the fact that SLC has a uniqueness in that the gay mormon males tend to play it even more on the downlow and stay married while keeping the gay lifestyle on the side. This is indeed a fact, not published in the SLC tribune or Deseret News perhaps, but FACT known by those working in the field with HIV+/AIDS gay male population in SLC.

Oh and another thing about those statistics...it only counts those who raise their hand and say "I" out loud and in the light. It doesn't consider factors like the LDS church having a large influence on what does or does not get counted and/or reported on statistically in their "holy" city. Something that this article brings up here: http://www.gaypasg.org/gaypasg

/PressClippings/2005/Jun

/Salt%20Lake%20City%20Has%20High%20Gay%20Population .htm

So no, babe, YOu lose.
Um did you read the link? It was per capita. I noticed you completely ignored the number of children factor, I know math can be hard but you can do it. As I have said, SLC may have a larger than typical gay community but even a rudimentary knowledge of statistics and demographics can help an open minded person see why.

No, I didn't lose, every day that I wake up and I am not angry, bitter, hate filled, condescending, bigoted, and bitter like you, I WIN.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:34 AM

202 posts, read 353,114 times
Uh no honey. I got the message you were trying to portray...the whole...more kids (I mean, afterall, the LDSers must have at least 5 kiddos to get into heaven, no?)...more gays. But my post above obviously disagrees with this assessment and I argue that is not necessarily a factor. And hon bun...I have MORE than a RUDIMENTARY understanding of demographics and statistics, which is why I also understand how they can be under REPORTED as well as MANIPULATED, sweetcakes. It is you that apparently does not have a handle on this?

wEll Hopefully you will open YOUR mind and you will see that what I am theorizing is actually the truth. Cheers.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:09 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,679,282 times
I would have thought that Mormon country would be a Mecca for women clamoring for long term, legally binding social contracts.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:21 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Case Closed....Grow up and move on!!!!!
Not entirely. I support gay rights but the 'gay fixing' jaymax speaks of might be appropriate for bisexuals in similar way that transgender find themselves in need of surgery to get their mind and body on the same page. The goal being to orientate them one way or another. It's one thing to be certain of who you are, but by my interpretation of the Bible, leviticus is a warning about hedonist behavior where anything goes. How many years could you live in a nightclub before you started making yourself sick at heart in a long series of meaningless relationships? This applies to all, not just gays, heteros, or bi's.

Not to get all church lady on folks. I don't mean to imply theocracy is fine with me because it's not. I admit I'm clueless about more than a thing or two when it comes to this subject, but bisexuality contradicts this genetic understanding of what gay means. The only legitimate concern I can see from religious, particularly in families, is when they see behavior they believe is destructive to your health. Beyond all interpretations, legalisms and social whim, health trumps all.

You strike me as being very learned about this issue and wish you'd do me a favor here. Pretend you're hetero and our teenager just told us he's bisexual. How do we keep him out of trouble? Chastity in it's higher teaching isn't about repression. It's getting in tune with the sacredness of sexuality. Beyond the cat/mouse games of romance. Beyond quid pro quo and the superficial pleasure of material existence.

I didn't see that kind of guidance at the Pflag sites when I visited. One mother seemed to encourage offering blank checks to teens. I strongly disagree because self discipline is a necessary virtue for adulthood. The other org (american family association?) struck me as people taking their issues out on gay kids. I hope to see Pflag develop these concepts better because hetero's are at a severe disadvantage in uncharted water. Outside the homophobic category of some is the potential to neglect out of parental ignorance.

Old 06-04-2011, 01:53 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,790,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
I would have thought that Mormon country would be a Mecca for women clamoring for long term, legally binding social contracts.
Ha! Reminds me of 'there's gold in them thar hills!'. It's a Long, Lonely Search for Men Looking for Love in Alaska - NYTimes.com
Single fems ought to herd themselves to land a rugged outdoorsy Alaskan male. When they get off that boat, much to their chagrin, they meet one too many drunken, unhygienic feral men who are quite content to remain that way.

Old 06-05-2011, 02:37 PM

Mormon country should be different because many of the males could already be married and may claim to base their marriages on religious principles. If all a woman really needs, is a long term, legally binding social contract it would seem like Mormon country may offer a more "spiritual" solution.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:42 PM

28,099 posts, read 29,986,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Mormon country should be different because many of the males could already be married and may claim to base their marriages on religious principles. If all a woman really needs, is a long term, legally binding social contract it would seem like Mormon country may offer a more "spiritual" solution.
I'm just curious, Daniel, when you use the word "Mormon," who exactly are you thinking of? Members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, headquartered in Salt Lake City, Utah or some polygamous, fundamentalist offshoot? Or do you make no distinction between the two?

Old 06-05-2011, 07:25 PM

I don't really distinguish between the two. Polygamy, to my understanding, was normal during biblical times and was only abandoned by the Mormons as a condition of joining the Union, not because it was inconsistent with their religious faith or privately held beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies