Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:13 AM

202 posts, read 353,067 times

Advertisements

Ok. Whatever. I am not here to necessarily debate whether or not homosexuality is nature or nurture. I want to hear from LDS or ex-LDS in regards to the seemingly large population of gay males in Utah and what "their" explanation is behind this.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 AM

LMAO. I love how all of the mormon posters on the Utah forum that are so quick to jump all over any thread that even remotely shines a bright light on their falseness/negative aspects of Utah and/or mormon culture, but yet...now...they are nowhere to be found on this thread. LMAO. Guess it hits too close to home, eh?

Oh and love how they respond to the post Utahns are Not Friendly thread..."Oh my god, we are so like totally friendly like check out how we totally respond and bash and call names when someone like oh my god has a different experience than like myself cuz i'm sure that whatever my life experience is living in my utah mormon bubble it must be the same for everyone, no???" LMAOOO!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 01:45 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,533,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
what makes homosexuality different from someone diagnosed as bipolar or with schizophrenia? is there a difference? and who in the world wrote it in stone this idea that homosexuality is a sexual orientation and cannot be change. there are all kinds of things we are supposedly born with that manifest in our behaviors, ie addictions, rapists, pedophilia, etc....so if pedophelia is what someone is born with, therefore it can't be changed, therefore it should be embraced and celebrated??

Apparently you failed to read the TEN links I posted earlier and after reading this post I question your true intent with this thread!

Facts About Changing Sexual Orientation

Old 04-28-2011, 01:49 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
I know several Mormons who were obviously gay but because of their religion and upbringing, they couldn't come out of the closet.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:55 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,304,342 times
To answer the OP

Mormon families are often popular subjects in genetic studies. They keep great records of their family trees. They have little migration. They tend to marry within the same faith and race so their genetic diversity is somewhat limited. They were the victims of many rare genetic disease as a result of this but due to their excellent record keeping, you could trace where it came from.

If you believe homosexuality is something people are born with and that there is some genetic component, it's not difficult to see why the Mormon population would have higher numbers than normal due to the above noted facts. They marry within a small population demographic. There is little migration among their community if they remained within Utah. And since homosexuality is not culturally accepted, many Mormon homosexuals pretended to be heterosexuals and got married and had children thus passing on the gene or some form of biological inheritance.

Old 04-28-2011, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
To answer the OP

Mormon families are often popular subjects in genetic studies. They keep great records of their family trees. They have little migration. They tend to marry within the same faith and race so their genetic diversity is somewhat limited. They were the victims of many rare genetic disease as a result of this but due to their excellent record keeping, you could trace where it came from.

If you believe homosexuality is something people are born with and that there is some genetic component, it's not difficult to see why the Mormon population would have higher numbers than normal due to the above noted facts. They marry within a small population demographic. There is little migration among their community if they remained within Utah. And since homosexuality is not culturally accepted, many Mormon homosexuals pretended to be heterosexuals and got married and had children thus passing on the gene or some form of biological inheritance.
Nice, thoughtful post. An ex-mormon, out of the closet gay man/performance artist, had that theory and more...

Latter gay saint | Dallas Voice

Old 04-28-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Apparently you failed to read the TEN links I posted earlier and after reading this post I question your true intent with this thread!

Facts About Changing Sexual Orientation
Look. I did read your posts, but maybe I disagree or agree to disagree. I realize that this is a hot emotional topic for some but I am asking questions that have been asked before and will be asked again. Perhaps I should not have brought up rape or pedophelia because that just stirs unnecessary emotions when I am actually just trying to heat up a well-thought out debate.

Consider this...

once upon a time homosexuality was diagnosed as a psychological disorder or (as many with "disorders" are referred to as having) a "mental illness".

Now does anyone want to be LABELED mentally "ill" or psychologically "diseased" or "disordered"? The answer is most probably no. I spent some time working with adults diagnosed with a "mental illness". The diagnoses ranged from bipolar to borderline to depressed to schizophrenic...etc.

After working with that group of people, I am very much against LABELING. Labeling someone as something and making that be who they are to everyone and anyone else they meet from that point on...

please

consider

what I just wrote and why

i might also be

against labeling

homosexuality

as one labels someone a schizophrenic

labeling
labeling

for life.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
This thread reinforces my descision to stay way far away from Utah.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
Are there any hard statistics showing that there actually is a higher rate of homosexuals among the mormon community or in Utah? Or just that Salt Lake City has attracted large numbers of gays from around the region?

I have two friends from Utah (well, one was born and raised in Idaho, but later moved to Utah as an adult) .... both were raised in the Mormon faith (one strictly so).... they lived in Salt Lake City, but SLC appears to be the place "to go" for gays in the mountain west to live a somewhat comfortable life. Is SLC just a congregation place, sourcing its gays from the small towns and other neighboring states throughout the region?

Oh, and the one has three kids he had with a woman at a very young age when he was trying to 'conform.'

Old 04-28-2011, 08:52 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,981,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Are there any hard statistics showing that there actually is a higher rate of homosexuals among the mormon community or in Utah?
Absolutely not. This is total nonsense, but m92tiger appears to be convinced otherwise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies