Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 03:25 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by m92tiger View Post
I would like to start this topic in order to generate genuine theories/thoughts/beliefs behind the existence of a larger than average gay male population in Utah, particularly the SLC area.This began as general observance from both work and outside of work, but blossomed into more when finding out that there were actual some statistics and a lot of shared observances/experiences to back it up.

At first I thought that it might be due to migration from the SF bay area, only to then further observe how many of these gay males were either mormon or ex-mormon and largely from Utah.

Here's a link for another forum discussing the existence of gays at BYU:

There may be more gay Mormons than non-Mormons

I wonder if this is really true. There is one possible explanation. Scientists are finding that gay men tend to have older brothers. The more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay.

My ex boyfriend is 10th out of 13 kids (don't know how many of them were sons but he had at least 2 older brothers). His youngest brother, #13 was also gay.

Since Mormons tend to have more kids than average, it would only make sense that there would be a slightly higher percentage of gay men in Mormon families.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
What about ex-gays, people who used to be homosexual but are now straight?
No different than a black person using a skin bleacher.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:30 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,462,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I wonder if this is really true. There is one possible explanation. Scientists are finding that gay men tend to have older brothers. The more older brothers a man has, the more likely he is to be gay.

My ex boyfriend is 10th out of 13 kids (don't know how many of them were sons but he had at least 2 older brothers). His youngest brother, #13 was also gay.

Since Mormons tend to have more kids than average, it would only make sense that there would be a slightly higher percentage of gay men in Mormon families.
I heard the reason for that is because the womb environment sees the male hormones as foreign and wants to fight them, and after repeated sons the female body naturally wants to feminize the womb.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:31 PM

30,898 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I heard the reason for that is because the womb environment sees the male hormones as foreign and wants to fight them, and after repeated sons the female body naturally wants to feminize the womb.
Could be. I don't know. I don't think they understand it 100% themselves.

Old 04-24-2011, 03:33 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post

Hum, so subsequent male children are seemingly more likely to be homosexual than previous ones - especially when the female starts popping out high numbers??

Sounds like a great biological, evolutionarily beneficial, mechanism to control the threat of overpopulation, doesn't it?

Last edited by hammertime33; 04-24-2011 at 03:42 PM..

Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 AM

202 posts, read 353,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I read a study once that "cured" homosexual behavior in sheep. They found that the mother was hormone deficient in a particular hormone. Replacing this hormone while the ewe was pregnant caused a 0% incidence of homosexuality in the offspring. I don't recall what the incidence of homosexuality was before the hormone replacement. This study was done for scientific purposes in order to increase productivity because (of course) if the males won't breed with the females they can't reproduce and that causes loss of profit. So the incidences prior to the study must have been significant to warrant the study. Anyway, I thought this was very interesting and wondered if it applied, at least some of the time, to humans as well. My thoughts on how this might apply to this group is could there possibly be an environmental factor among mormons? Something in their diet, or something in the SLC physical environment?
I find this all very interesting....
Interesting. I've wondered this myself and tried to think/observe what might be different in this environment, biologically/chemically/environmentally, and I haven't come up with too much. Check out this article from a gay ex-mormon on his theories on the above average incidence of homosexuality in the mormon culture:

Latter gay saint | Dallas Voice

Old 04-26-2011, 02:18 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
IF you need educated here are reputable scientific and professional links but I know uneducated guesses are far more fun and judgemental!!!!!

Sexual orientation, homosexuality and bisexuality

Gay Is Okay With APA (American Psychiatric Association) (http://www.soulforce.org/article/642 - broken link)

Official Statement Concerning Homosexuality from the American Psychological Association | CLGS

http://www.pnas.org/content/105/30/10273.full

Facts About Changing Sexual Orientation

BBC NEWS | Health | Scans see 'gay brain differences'

The naturalness of homosexuality Sexual Identity Hard-Wired by Genetics,

The Science Of Sexual Orientation - 60 Minutes - CBS News

Sexual Orientation and Adolescents -- Frankowski and and Committee on Adolescence 113 (6): 1827 -- Pediatrics

Homophobia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Homophobia: The Fear Behind The Hatred

Current research shows people are born gay through a combination of genetics and female hormone levels during the gestation period. There is no single factor/answer...... Case Closed....Grow up and move on!!!!!

Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,535,386 times

YouTube - LDS Homosexuality Pt. 3: Embracing our Homosexual Children

Old 04-26-2011, 02:51 AM

202 posts, read 353,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
BINGO......I have a Gay Mormon friend....he tells me he had to leave the church because of how badly he was treated.

But then again it's the same reason why I left the Roman Catholic Church right after I got confirmed.

To the OP.......your link is simply a Mormon(BYU) message board.....hardly "hard science" stats on the number of Gay Mormons but simply folks giving opinions with just one link.?????
Of course it is just a message board with people stating their experiences/own opinions and knowledge. I don't expect a "hard science" stat source to come out regarding the percentage of gay mormons any time soon. It appears to me that they are some of the most delusional, brainwashed religious folk I have come across in a very long time. The percentage of gay mormon men here is obvious to the seeing eye. trust. I am just stating my own observances and experiences and trying to see if anyone else out there has had the same experiences.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:55 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
If there was a hormonal cause for homosexuality, does this mean that homosexuality is abnormal?
There's a hormonal cause for heterosexuality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies