Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 10:21 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But they can't get jobs once you've paid for their college education as they are not citizens. Have you thought about that ?

If you cannot afford to educate your own citizens then why, for pete's sake, are you taking on illegals ?
Well, the idea would be normalization of status upon graduating.

Texan...there is your emotional appeal. If they live in California, that means that they are going to be a drain on Californians. More so than if they are educated, normalized, and contributing to the system.

Also, why couldn't we lower tuition across the board? Why do people always put the "if you can't afford to educate your own citizens why illegals" as if we can't do both...but are able to pay for oil subsidies and give GE a HUGE tax break?

Funny how that your argument breaks down when you realize that you actually create a more educated and prosperous workforce that increases tax revenues rather than creating more of a burden by keep people in limbo or mass deportations (that would cost more and reduce tax revenue).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post

Texan...there is your emotional appeal. If they live in California, that means that they are going to be a drain on Californians. More so than if they are educated, normalized, and contributing to the system.

Also, why couldn't we lower tuition across the board? Why do people always put the "if you can't afford to educate your own citizens why illegals" as if we can't do both...but are able to pay for oil subsidies and give GE a HUGE tax break?

Funny how that your argument breaks down when you realize that you actually create a more educated and prosperous workforce that increases tax revenues rather than creating more of a burden by keep people in limbo or mass deportations (that would cost more and reduce tax revenue).
So how will CA deal with illegals that have an education but no citizenship that still cannot find a job ?
Is CA hoping that amnesty passes ?

I haven't read that CA is lowering tuition..rather they are cutting back.

Emotion aside..at the end of the day these states only have so much money they can spend.

More educated yes..more prosperous ..well that can be debated in today's society. Many graduates cannot find jobs based on their degrees..and these are US citizens that cannot find jobs.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
So how will CA deal with illegals that have an education but no citizenship that still cannot find a job ?
Is CA hoping that amnesty passes ?

I haven't read that CA is lowering tuition..rather they are cutting back.

Emotion aside..at the end of the day these states only have so much money they can spend.

More educated yes..more prosperous ..well that can be debated in today's society. Many graduates cannot find jobs based on their degrees..and these are US citizens that cannot find jobs.
No it's not at all debatable. Look at the unemployment rates of those with degrees vs. those without. Yes, even in CA. The recession has hit recent college grads, but not NEARLY as hard as those with only a high school diploma.

So yes, they would be more prosperous. In the US, those with a bachelors or higher have an unemployment rate of 4.4% vs. 13.7% of those people with less than a high school degree and 9.5% with a high school degree.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

Illegal immigrants do comprise a relatively small population in CA. However, they are concentrated in communities (some areas are 45-50% illegal...like in parts of Imperial County). So you have a concentration of poverty. If you can expand college attainment, you can reduce the effects of concentrated poverty. Also, you can have more role models for Hispanics showing that it is possible achieve your goal...thus hopefully rendering things like affirmative action archaic.

The proposition would be normalization of status after a post secondary education.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
No it's not at all debatable. Look at the unemployment rates of those with degrees vs. those without. Yes, even in CA. The recession has hit recent college grads, but not NEARLY as hard as those with only a high school diploma.

So yes, they would be more prosperous. In the US, those with a bachelors or higher have an unemployment rate of 4.4% vs. 13.7% of those people with less than a high school degree and 9.5% with a high school degree.

Table A-4. Employment status of the civilian population 25 years and over by educational attainment

Illegal immigrants do comprise a relatively small population in CA. However, they are concentrated in communities (some areas are 45-50% illegal...like in parts of Imperial County). So you have a concentration of poverty. If you can expand college attainment, you can reduce the effects of concentrated poverty. Also, you can have more role models for Hispanics showing that it is possible achieve your goal...thus hopefully rendering things like affirmative action archaic.

The proposition would be normalization of status after a post secondary education.
These are illegals..not US citizens.

I don't condone employers hiring illegals regardless of their education status.

Maybe you do, but I don't.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
These are illegals..not US citizens.

I don't condone employers hiring illegals regardless of their education status.

Maybe you do, but I don't.
I think you're not reading my posts. I stated three times that their statuses would be normalized.

Happy, the reason why you feel this way is because is because you feel some intrinsic need to have a knee jerk reaction and not look objectively. They either stay here without an education and are illegal thus not pay taxes and use our emergency rooms, or we try to bolster them into the middle class. Which sounds more likely to have a better outcome?

If you push for deportation, they would just come over again and again and again. Thus you're wasting tax payers money and siphoning off sales tax revenue from small towns and creating economic havoc in those places.

So the best option is try to incorporate illegal immigrants into the middle class. Normalize the statuses of those that get an education. Make them pay taxes.

Old 04-26-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
I think you're not reading my posts. I stated three times that their statuses would be normalized.

Happy, the reason why you feel this way is because is because you feel some intrinsic need to have a knee jerk reaction and not look objectively. They either stay here without an education and are illegal thus not pay taxes and use our emergency rooms, or we try to bolster them into the middle class. Which sounds more likely to have a better outcome?

If you push for deportation, they would just come over again and again and again. Thus you're wasting tax payers money and siphoning off sales tax revenue from small towns and creating economic havoc in those places.

So the best option is try to incorporate illegal immigrants into the middle class. Normalize the statuses of those that get an education. Make them pay taxes.
Well push that one on the USG..not me.
"normalize" is amnesty. I am against that. It doesn't work to stop the flow of illegals. History can attest to that.

BTW..the middle class of US citizens are hurting enough without adding illegals to the mixture.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Well push that one on the USG..not me.
"normalize" is amnesty. I am against that. It doesn't work to stop the flow of illegals. History can attest to that.

BTW..the middle class of US citizens are hurting enough without adding illegals to the mixture.
The middle class would hurt even more by reducing tax revenue and increasing decreasing the amount of educated people. Again it's not full amnesty if you have to meet certain provisions.

In order to stop the flow you would have to rework our immigration policies in order to actually the problem (supply vs. demand). Our policies need to reflect the labor market.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Republicans in CA cut funding to the UC system.

I think that funding should be restored and augmented. We should not have immigrants who have lived here and most likely going to contribute to the Californian economy banned from higher education and become an economic drain because something their parents did.

I think that your appeal is more an appeal to emotion, rather than an appeal to logic.

Why cut off people from higher education when that is the best way to lift oneself economically? Why diminish the talent pool?
Beep, beep, back up the bus.

We should not allow ILLEGAL immigrants who have broken our laws, and may or may NOT contribute to the CA economy get an education, courtesy of the taxpayer. Yup, they can blame their parents. Just as I can "blame" mine for not getting a better paying job so they could pay for my college. For having my mom stay home so there was little money for college. For getting divorced and affecting my earning potential.

Logic is knowing that people that break the law should NEVER be rewarded for that behavior. And people that are US citizens should not foot the bill for illegals to get an education. The Left's ONLY appeal is to emotion. Why else do they always throw in "it's for the children" and "they shouldn't suffer because of decisions their parents made".

Why cut them off? Because they don't belong here. As for talent pool, we can open up those opportunities to american born citizens just as easily.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:

How come your solution NEVER includes cutting the pay of the bloated salaries of professors and administrators?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:

You may have repeated yourself, but your thinking is still WRONG. Why should we pay for them, all the while leaving citizens whose parents did the right thing with not education opportunity?

If you push for deportation, but leave the borders open, they will return. Kick them out, then lock it up. But the useless ideologues in the administration will never **** off their future voters.

And quit using "normalize" and call it what it is - LEGALIZE. I know the lefties like to make up words so people don't know their true agenda, but it's really getting old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies