Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
those that question what 'teaching' is have successfully been indoctrinated.

If that has to be taught to you, you are lost.

Ie

teaching example:

2+2=4

indoctrination example:

2+2=4, but it's the man's 4 and you get nothing. where's our 4? Where's our 4? Where's our 4?

b i n g o !!!

Old 04-29-2011, 11:15 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,343,835 times
The video is BS. It's all unsubstantiated hearsay.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:17 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol silly liberal. Plenty of socialization available for homeschoolers. It's called, sociaizing with other homeschoolers! Wow who would have thought. I'm sure I can find at least a couple out of the several tens of thousands out there
Sure, we wouldn't want little Johnny thinking the world is not flat or that the earth is more than 6,000 years old....

"liberal?" That's funny. I don't need to be classified in a neat little box labeled "liberal" or "conservative" or "D" or "R." I like to think for myself.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:27 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sure, we wouldn't want little Johnny thinking the world is not flat or that the earth is more than 6,000 years old....

"liberal?" That's funny. I don't need to be classified in a neat little box labeled "liberal" or "conservative" or "D" or "R." I like to think for myself.
Apparently you don't. Because you rely on government schools to do the teaching, and thus, the thinking.

And this shows how much you don't think for yourself. because you'd know that not only Christians homeschool, and not only Christian-based textbooks are used for homeschooling Open your mind please I'm sure that's not hard for a Leftie like you since all you lefties pride yourselves on being "open-minded and tolerant" no? Hell if I wanted to, I can throw in some Das Kapital and Rules for Radicals in there as well if I really wanted to. So clearly, homeschooling is not for bigots.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Nope, that is what we depend on the public education system to provide for us, brainwashed robots who can't think for themselves.
It would seem to me that children who are homeschooled and only exposed to their parents (sometimes lunatic-level) belief system would have a much lower diversity of experience and opinion than kids who go to public schools. Public school teachers run the gamut and expose a student to diversity of opinion. Good public school teachers encourage students to seek out diversity of opinion. That's a lot less brainwashing than being taught by a single parent who equates biblical parable with science.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:30 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,275,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Yes, a "form" of indoctrination has existed on both sides, since the beginning of our educational system. The founders spoke of such often and encouraged the need for such development within the schools to shape the children of the nation.

Of course, back then it was because the founders strongly believed that in order for the nation to succeed, it must contain a people of moral and virtuous standards to which would seek to uphold the individual liberties of all.

These days, it is a platform for various political groups to shape future opinion to forward their individual movements.
The founders never promoted a Federal Dept. of Education, which totally opens the door to a hard -to- resist method of indoctrinating a whole nation of citizens into whatever political direction the government wants. It gives way too much power to one central governing body. It is dangerous and can, and is leading to a totalitarian state. Fascists are famous for utilizing the educational system to indoctrinate.

We need to get rid of the Federal Dept. of Education or at least greatly reduce it. Young people think we have always had it; but its relatively new; we don't need it. Costs a lot, hasn't improved scores one bit; indoctrinates rather than teaches.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:32 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I hope you are outsourcing the lessons on grammar and punctuation.

my wife will take care of that. if not I dont mind outsourcing on subjects. it would be better than getting a indoctrination in public schools.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
The founders never promoted a Federal Dept. of Education, which totally opens the door to a hard -to- resist method of indoctrinating a whole nation of citizens into whatever political direction the government wants. It gives way too much power to one central governing body. It is dangerous and can, and is leading to a totalitarian state. Fascists are famous for utilizing the educational system to indoctrinate.

We need to get rid of the Federal Dept. of Education or at least greatly reduce it. Young people think we have always had it; but its relatively new; we don't need it. Costs a lot, hasn't improved scores one bit; indoctrinates rather than teaches.
The Founders also never promoted a Federal Aviation Administration. So what? Times change.

Your logic seems to be that because there is a Federal Department of Education there is indoctrination. Sorry... That just doesn't follow. Too much power? By your argument any Fed agency has too much power simply for existing... Not a good argument either.

If you actually took the time to learn what the Federal Department of Education does, it's a lot more about student loans and Funding education than it is about particular curricular requirements. But why learn the facts? It's so much more fun just to be indignant...

Old 04-29-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
my wife will take care of that. if not I dont mind outsourcing on subjects. it would be better than getting a indoctrination in public schools.
And how is your wife qualified to teach grammar and punctuation, mathematics, science, and social studies?

How much religion will you be teaching as part of your homeschool curriculum?

Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Apparently you don't. Because you rely on government schools to do the teaching, and thus, the thinking.

And this shows how much you don't think for yourself. because you'd know that not only Christians homeschool, and not only Christian-based textbooks are used for homeschooling Open your mind please I'm sure that's not hard for a Leftie like you since all you lefties pride yourselves on being "open-minded and tolerant" no? Hell if I wanted to, I can throw in some Das Kapital and Rules for Radicals in there as well if I really wanted to. So clearly, homeschooling is not for bigots.
Sure its not just the fundamentalists who homeschool....the tin-foil-hat militia types probably do too.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies