Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 11:36 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,926,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
And how is your wife qualified to teach grammar and punctuation, mathematics, science, and social studies?

How much religion will you be teaching as part of your homeschool curriculum?
I'm buying secular textbooks. Don't know about monkeywrench but I can satisfactorily teach my religion with the Bible. How about that You are seriously uninformed about this subject matter. The world doesn't go round due to government

Old 04-29-2011, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sure its not just the fundamentalists who homeschool....the tin-foil-hat militia types probably do too.....
Lots of people homeschool. Mainly people who think they can educate their kids much better than the state can. And with failing test scores, we are educating our children the British way which works.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:41 AM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,560 times
Why Homeschooling Continues to Grow
A recent survey indicates that the homeschooling movement is growing as an alternative to the current government run school system.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 AM

3,681 posts, read 6,273,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I always find it very amusing when people label the public education system "indoctrination", especially when most of those people homeschool their children, have not set foot in a public school for years, and do not advocate for public schools. Leave the public schools alone, we like them just fine. Us peons who have our children in public schools are quite capable of being involved in our children's education and knowing what is in the curriculum, and addressing any issues that may be contrary to our own personal beliefs withour insisting that the entire country change the curriculum to suit our own needs. That the women in the OP link did not know what was in her daughter's Social Studies book is her failure, not the public schools.

Apparently, not everyone likes the public schools. You may speak for yourself. But, not everyone is into "collective thought" yet. As you can see, there are many, many people in the video and posting here, that do not like what is going on in the public schools. And the woman in the video is not at fault at all. Many schools will not send the books home. They wheel a cart around, pass out controversial textbooks, for the students' use in class and then collect and tuck away "the evidence." I have seen it happen. Furthermore, when this woman became aware of what her daughter was being indoctrinated with, she became very active in doing something about it.And, in fact, is now working to help enlighten other parents.

Old 04-29-2011, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
[/color]

Apparently, not everyone likes the public schools. You may speak for yourself. But, not everyone is into "collective thought" yet. As you can see, there are many, many people in the video and posting here, that do not like what is going on in the public schools. And the woman in the video is not at fault at all. Many schools will not send the books home. They wheel a cart around, pass out controversial textbooks, for the students' use in class and then collect and tuck away "the evidence." I have seen it happen. Furthermore, when this woman became aware of what her daughter was being indoctrinated with, she became very active in doing something about it.And, in fact, is now working to help enlighten other parents.
Public school is not the same as it once was when the parents were in school. That's one reason why maybe, the parents are asleep when it comes to their kids' education and how the schools can get away with so much. It seems like the schools have been becoming more and more indoctrinating ever since NCLB was passed because I was never exposed to so much leftist dogma when I was in school (no pro-homosexual views, no AGW views, no liberal-biased history and government classes). I guess I was one of the last batch of kids to grow up with a more neutral education.

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Yes...there is a sinister plot to indoctrinate your children and hide it from you.....suuuure.......
And it's all being directed from Obama's underground lair, right??
Lol you seriously are undermining your own credibility here. Playing by the liberal playbook. When you got nothing else, throw in some kook and tinfoiler comments for good measure

Old 04-29-2011, 12:09 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm buying secular textbooks. Don't know about monkeywrench but I can satisfactorily teach my religion with the Bible. How about that You are seriously uninformed about this subject matter. The world doesn't go round due to government
So because you have textbooks you can teach? How do you know you can satisfactorily teach?

It seems a lot more uninformed to think you can teach because you own textbooks. Do you have any teaching credentials? Do you have any experience? Did you go to college? Education is serious business, and owning a bible and some textbooks doesn't make one a teacher.

Certainly some people can teach their own kids better than the schools can. But it seems the overarching motivation behind homeschooling (at least here on CD) is to indoctrinate children in some type lunatic fringe teaching that they don't do in public schools.

And in all deference to your aphorisms, while the world doesn't go around due to government, government is required to operate our society. If government shut down tomorrow, society would not function.

If you don't like government, Somilia might be a nice choice for you.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,559,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
oh, oh my. lol, you'll have to excuse the **** out of me, because it seems my mind isn't as strong as yours, and I can't make up my own mind on things . If you want kids to get a fully informed view of things, they should hear BOTH sides of the story, instead of just some propaganda that you are so excited to swallow. But hey, I'm just the brainwashed person typing...
WHAT? You cannot possibly be suggesting that we teach the kids all sides so they can make an informed decision for themselves later in life? We can only teach them one way, our way, the right way! And we are going to petition to change all curriculums to our way. Why you pinko, commie, maoist, liberal, granola-headed hippie you!

Old 04-29-2011, 01:16 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,811,965 times
Green is new red.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
So because you have textbooks you can teach? How do you know you can satisfactorily teach?

It seems a lot more uninformed to think you can teach because you own textbooks. Do you have any teaching credentials? Do you have any experience? Did you go to college? Education is serious business, and owning a bible and some textbooks doesn't make one a teacher.

Certainly some people can teach their own kids better than the schools can. But it seems the overarching motivation behind homeschooling (at least here on CD) is to indoctrinate children in some type lunatic fringe teaching that they don't do in public schools.

And in all deference to your aphorisms, while the world doesn't go around due to government, government is required to operate our society. If government shut down tomorrow, society would not function.

If you don't like government, Somilia might be a nice choice for you.
My state has one of the toughest regulations on homeschooling in the U.S. and the kids need to be tested regularly, and they have to follow the curriculum prescribed by the Commonwealth.

http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Pennsylvania.pdf

Read that. These are all the regulations that homeschooling families have to follow here. And guess what? MANY MANY homeschool families in my state are in COMPLIANCE with the state government's requirements and the vast majority of them don't have formal teaching credentials seriously, think and be imformed. You clearly are not, because you'd have known my state is one of the most regulated states in the country. And if you fail the evaluations, the state forces you to take the kids back into public school. The fact that hundreds of families, at the minimum, comply with this, is evidence that you don't need a government school to teach children.

And by the way, why do you nanny state liberals always equate limited government with no government? The 2 are NOT the same.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:41 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,339,666 times
Texas...now there's a shining example of the American education system
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies