Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2011, 07:31 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
what should bush have done with this info, jojy?

lay it out for us. strip-search muslim-looking people? shut down airports?
Doing nothing is better?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2011, 07:32 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
PeteKing

He's on the HLS Committee (Chairman). He probably is privy to more information now than Rumsfeld is.
Unless the waterboarding took place after November 2006 when Rumsfeld resigned (and after the Bush admin said they had stopped the practice) then Rumsfeld is more likely to have a better grasp on the facts than King. Additionally, with the "radical Islam" hearings earlier this year, King demonstrated that he is willing to ignore the facts (Sheriff Baca testifying to Muslims cooperating with law enforcement) in order to make ideological points.

I really don't want to side with Rumsfeld on anything, but if it's on a matter of whether some particular person was waterboarded in violation of international law between 2002 and 2006, I'm more confident that Rumsfeld will know what happened than King.

But really, is your argument that torture is alright if it leads to A Good Thing? If the ends are good enough, any means are justified?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:34 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,527,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
I say let the waterboarding begin!!
Why am I not surprised?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,453,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
Unless the waterboarding took place after November 2006 when Rumsfeld resigned (and after the Bush admin said they had stopped the practice) then Rumsfeld is more likely to have a better grasp on the facts than King. Additionally, with the "radical Islam" hearings earlier this year, King demonstrated that he is willing to ignore the facts (Sheriff Baca testifying to Muslims cooperating with law enforcement) in order to make ideological points.

I really don't want to side with Rumsfeld on anything, but if it's on a matter of whether some particular person was waterboarded in violation of international law between 2002 and 2006, I'm more confident that Rumsfeld will know what happened than King.

But really, is your argument that torture is alright if it leads to A Good Thing? If the ends are good enough, any means are justified?
No, I'm more curious in facts. If it wasn't during water-boarding but was during prolonged stress or beating by use of collar, what's it matter? This was done in a secret CIA prison and most certainly was the fruition of questionable techniques, if you believe all the things KSM said he was subject to, at least.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 PM

2,476 posts, read 2,603,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
The Bush Administration had the goodwill and cooperation of the entire country behind him after 9-11, they squandered it.
What kind of off the wall ridiculous statement is that.....

Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,227,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
Prove it wrong.

Do you have the intel to state this?

When in fact KSM even gave us information by being water boarded.

Or did you even know that?

I say let the waterboarding begin!!
But it was not until later, after waterboarding was suspended because it and other harsh techniques became heatedly debated, that Mohammed told interrogators about the existence of a courier particularly close to bin Laden, a fragmentary tip that touched off a years-long manhunt that ended in bin Laden's death at the hands of U.S. special forces on Sunday.

And at the time the information surfaced, the CIA had already abandoned some of its most controversial interrogation techniques, including waterboarding, in which water is poured over the face of an interrogation subject to simulate drowning, current and former U.S. officials told Reuters.

Bin Laden kill may reopen CIA interrogation debate | Reuters

Old 05-02-2011, 07:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,932,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Yup. Despite claims by Wingnuts on this board, it was NOT waterboarding that gave us that info.

Ken
Who said it was waterboarding? Enhanced interrogation techniques were USED.

How the U.S. found and finished Bin Laden - The Washington Post

Quote:
The trail that led to bin Laden’s hideout in the town of Abbottabad, about 75 miles north of Islamabad, began between 2002 and 2004 with the CIA’s interrogation of al-Qaeda “high-value targets” at secret CIA sites overseas. Several detainees mentioned the “nom de guerre,” or nickname, of one of bin Laden’s couriers.

Some of the detainees who confirmed the courier’s nickname were subjected to “enhanced interrogation techniques,” the CIA’s formal name for what is now widely viewed as torture.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:42 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Why am I not surprised?
Why should you be?

So let me get this correct. I know liberals are very hypocritical but lets do this.

Explain to me how liberals hate water boarding and believe it is torture but then they jump for joy and give 100% credit to their leader Obomba for killing OBL without a trial, he ordered the killing of OBLs wife and son and others in the compound without a single trial. What did OBLS wife every do? How about the son?

KSM has said he was guilty of being behind 9-11 and yet the loons went out of their way to protect him and wanted to give him rights like US citizens have but it is somehow different to take out OBL without a trial?

Which freakin way do you people want it?

Now, the libs are dead against water boarding but it is ok for the US President to order the killing of a man and his family in another country without a trial.

Which way do you want it? to me ordering the KILLING of someone is of course a little different then water boarding.

Explain which way do you want it because you cannot have it both ways.

Either kill every single known terrorist like OBL without a trial or water board them? Which way do you want it?

How come OBL was not going to get a trial but liberals demand that KSM and the gang get rights like US citizens have.

I guess ordering the killing of a man and his family would be ok since it was Obama but waterboarding is not ok.

Amazing. No wonder liberalism is no longer wanted in America. Thank goodness we only have 20% of the crazies left in America to deal with.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:44 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,302,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Who said it was waterboarding? Enhanced interrogation techniques were USED.

How the U.S. found and finished Bin Laden - The Washington Post

Lordy just got owned again.

Waiting for a robots to answer my questions about the difference in ordering the killing of a man and his family and water boarding.

Isnt ordering the killing of someone against the Geneva convention the loons love so much?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:46 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,321,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
Maybe technically he is correct.

However, there are other "questionable" techniques that were talked about and used throughout Renditions.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/042809_redcross.pdf
Yeah I just don't think anyone here can say "Waterboarding gave us this info". That little piece of info (ie the couriers' "name") was a TINY LITTLE BIT of what was collected over a long period of time that included MANY interregations. At the time it was probably not considered as important as some of the other info collected - after all, the courier himself was but a bit play and NOT a decision maker. In time it proved to be a VERY IMPORTANT bit of info - but no one could know that then. And - as I said - considering that there were apparently very very few of these "enhanced interogation" sessions and LOTS of "conventional interogation" chances are that info was gained during the regular session.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies