Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2011, 01:29 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
How long do you think it'll take for all blacks to become educated and intelligent enough to stop using the word? It's clearly only something that uneducated blacks do so how long will it be before we can put this issue behind us as humans and move on to fixing things that are a big deal?
Didn't realize Dr. Laura was Black. I love how she throws in "My dear friend is a Black guy" only later to be followed up with "N***"

YouTube - Dr.Laura Racist Rant Full Uncensored
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2011, 07:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,227,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Didn't realize Dr. Laura was Black. I love how she throws in "My dear friend is a Black guy" only later to be followed up with "N***"

YouTube - Dr.Laura Racist Rant Full Uncensored
Yea, that cracked me the hell up.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:12 AM

1,140 posts, read 2,076,230 times
Unfortunately, political correctness reinforces the "rights" of minorities to use racist and discriminatory speech while denying the same rights to others. While this is wholely political, there is nothing correct about it and is racist and discriminatory in itself.

The government and the schools, through pc and affirmative action, are creating new generations of people so thin skinned that our freedoms are eroding. The "there are no losers" mentality being promoted is destructive and no preparation for the real world. Our young people are losing the desire and ability to thrive in a competitive society and the country is suffering because of it.

PC, while masquerading as being for "fairness and equality" is nothing of the sort. It's become a weapon and an excuse to hurl false accusations against opponents. If we took away the unfounded fear of being "labeled" PC would be meaningless. Donald Trump's actions are a perfect example - he says what he means without fear and so far as I can see, hasn't been labeled racist or otherwise. In this we could learn from him.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:51 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Kids are kids. That's another world. I'm talking about adults. All kids will use forbidden language the minute their parents aren't around. If the black kids are all calling each other the N word, it may come off as ignorant, but kids are ignorant anyway. That's why their kids.....they're dumb as hell.

What you call your friends isn't my business....you're white. That hasn't a damn thing to do with me. My business is black folks. What we say to each other is our business. I do make it a point to not ever say the N word around white folks, but some people aren't as judicious as i am about it's use. That said, even still...it's not your call to make regardless.

Besides, if those kids really disturb you when they're saying it around your son, you DO have the option of chastising them about their language around your child. You ARE an adult....there is nothing wrong with doing that.
By kids I'm talking teenagers, 14 - 18. The adults in the neighborhood do it too. Me making a scene is going to do nothing, just like you, I'm sure they'll say it none of my business how they talk to each other, it's their right. Likewise, it's my right to think it's ghetto and stupid.

Old 05-14-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
By kids I'm talking teenagers, 14 - 18. The adults in the neighborhood do it too. Me making a scene is going to do nothing, just like you, I'm sure they'll say it none of my business how they talk to each other, it's their right. Likewise, it's my right to think it's ghetto and stupid.
It's not about "making a scene." If it means that much to you, (and i'm sure it doesn't) then say something about it. Yea...you're right, i'd tell you to scram, but i wouldn't make a big 'ol scene out of it.

Besides, you're presuming that your right to think that it's "ghetto and stupid" has any bearing or real significance.

It doesn't.

You're just another easily annoyed person. Join the club. You shouldn't feel lonely. A lot of sh*t annoys me too.

Old 05-14-2011, 11:33 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's not about "making a scene." If it means that much to you, (and i'm sure it doesn't) then say something about it. Yea...you're right, i'd tell you to scram, but i wouldn't make a big 'ol scene out of it.

Besides, you're presuming that your right to think that it's "ghetto and stupid" has any bearing or real significance.

It doesn't.

You're just another easily annoyed person. Join the club. You shouldn't feel lonely. A lot of sh*t annoys me too.
Like I said, I could and would say something, but it would change nothing. I can't see anything productive coming out of that scenario. I just don't want my 9 year old thinking it's ok to talk like that. He doesn't even know what it means, but if he decided to go up to a black kid at school and say "What's up n*gga", there's be hell to pay and not by any fault of his own. I don't feel he's old enough to have the meaning of that word and other racial slurs explained to him, and I know him well enough to know he's going to ask me why, if that's such a hurtful and disgusting word, would black people say it to each other. I'd like to have a better answer than "I don't know".

Old 05-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
Like I said, I could and would say something, but it would change nothing. I can't see anything productive coming out of that scenario. I just don't want my 9 year old thinking it's ok to talk like that. He doesn't even know what it means, but if he decided to go up to a black kid at school and say "What's up n*gga", there's be hell to pay and not by any fault of his own. I don't feel he's old enough to have the meaning of that word and other racial slurs explained to him, and I know him well enough to know he's going to ask me why, if that's such a hurtful and disgusting word, would black people say it to each other. I'd like to have a better answer than "I don't know".
Believe it or not, kids know more than you think. I went to school with white kids, and there is no doubt that they heard us say it to each other. They somehow sensed that it was something that probably wouldn't go over well if they said it themselves. Not that something violent would have occurred....it probably wouldn't have. But there would've likely been a warning to be careful about using it. Obviously, it depends on the crowd. There are always belligerents in every group. But i simply don't remember any of us needing to tell some white kid about his right (or non-right) to say the N word. It was never a big deal. The Hispanic kids said it...mainly the Puerto Rican kids, but that wasn't an issue and in most places where blacks and Ricans live together, it remains a non-issue.

As for what to tell your son about why black people use such a hurtful word with each other, that's not in my purview. You'll figure it out. Seems to me that when he sees 2 black people using the term with each other, and he doesn't see anyone getting offended, a light bulb would come on. We can't talk to the same people the same way. I can't address my boss the way i address my son. Likewise, my boss can't talk to me in the way that he talks to HIS son either. I might not like your wifes cooking, but i'd never SAY that. And i'd hope you'd never say that about my wife either. This stuff isn't rocket science. People within a family can say things to each other that would ordinarily be an issue if an outsider said it.

What's so hard to grasp about that?

Old 05-14-2011, 06:22 PM

499 posts, read 405,434 times

YouTube - Stewart Lee - 9 - Political Correctness - 41st Best Stand-Up ever

Comedy bit, so hyperbolic. May offend some (language wise- but the latter half of the video doesn't really apply anyway).

I agree with him mostly - on the whole I think the idea behind political correctness is a good one. People must be sensible and discerning about it though.

Free speech means you can be as racist etc as you like, but then others can also call you on it if they find it offensive.

Old 05-14-2011, 08:21 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
What are you going to do,become violent because someone hurts your little feelings????LOL....bunch of pussoirs in this country nowadays.
Pussoirs? From the French...

Old 05-14-2011, 09:00 PM

209 posts, read 240,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizNJ View Post
Unfortunately, political correctness reinforces the "rights" of minorities to use racist and discriminatory speech while denying the same rights to others. While this is wholely political, there is nothing correct about it and is racist and discriminatory in itself.

The government and the schools, through pc and affirmative action, are creating new generations of people so thin skinned that our freedoms are eroding. The "there are no losers" mentality being promoted is destructive and no preparation for the real world. Our young people are losing the desire and ability to thrive in a competitive society and the country is suffering because of it.

PC, while masquerading as being for "fairness and equality" is nothing of the sort. It's become a weapon and an excuse to hurl false accusations against opponents. If we took away the unfounded fear of being "labeled" PC would be meaningless. Donald Trump's actions are a perfect example - he says what he means without fear and so far as I can see, hasn't been labeled racist or otherwise. In this we could learn from him.
Agreed. Love Trump on his show, not my guy for POTUS but I am with still with you. PC and hate speech are the vehicles through which they trying to usurp the 1st amendment without question. Next they will be classifying people with unpopular political opinions as mentally ill (I am sure the plans are in the works)....not my brilliant insight, its been done before, just a student of history .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies