Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2011, 06:50 PM

597 posts, read 1,298,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You Can’t Say That: The Well-Intentioned Censorship of Poltical Correctness | DBKP - Death By 1000 Papercuts - DBKP

Political correctness is an approved form of censorship. Based on emotional appeals at the expense of reason, political correctness mandates that inconvenient truths or facts be swept under the carpet. Or else.
Free speech, guaranteed to all Americans under the first amendment, is on it’s way to becoming moot. The political, media and intellectual elites who control the terms of national debate and the rules of civil society have succeeded in censoring opposing views, limiting debate and demonizing dissent. Perception is on its way to becoming our new reality.

Note, this is a Right leaning article. Just to clear that up before someone says it's slanted. The author has valid points though, if you keep an open mind.
The "POLITICAL CORRECTNESS" is one of most stupid things created in the last one hundred years in the world.
I would like to know where this "Master piece" was born.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 06:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I have friends and acquaintances of all colors, a certain skin color isn't a friendship requirement for me but common sense, intelligence and honesty are.
I think I saw you in a beer commercial.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Because identity and audience factor into all language usage, and the N word is no exception. Just like you don't talk to your boss and your dog the same. Your identity and the identity of the person you're talking to do factor into what language you can and can't use. Technically, you can use any language, but it will either cause offense or sound weird. Would you whistle your boss over? Would you ask your dog "would you like something to drink, sir" before giving him a bowl of water? Why is there a difference in the way you talk to your boss vs. your dog? The answer lies in the fact that your identity and the identity of the person you're speaking to vary from person to person. The relationship between you and the listener vary, and language reflects that.

Languages across the world prescribe different pronouns, phrases, and names depending on the amount of solidarity or distance between two speakers. Having the same background gives an added sense of solidarity--whether it's because you're coworkers, went to school together, grew up together, are of the same religion, or of the same race. Race isn't always a solidarity marker but it can be for many people. Likewise religion can be a solidarity marker but isn't always. For example, in the Kingdom Hall, Jehovah's Witnesses call each other "brother" and "sister". They refer to each other as brothers and sisters. Many other religious sects do this. It is to demonstrate the solidarity they feel in a shared belief and a shared experience.

Black people have a shared experience as black people in America. There are a great variety of experiences among blacks, but there is that one common thread of being black in America. When black people use the N word affectionately, they are referring to this solidarity, much like JW's use "brother"/"sister". Obviously that common thread of that experience doesn't exist between blacks and whites. But there are other ways to establish solidarity with people. For example, JW's of all races choose their JW identity over any other identity and refer to each other as brothers and sisters regardless of race or ethnicity. Some black people put their black identity before any other identity with other blacks, and therefore use the language that reflects that outlook. A lot of black people don't do that too, and those black people tend not to use the N word affectionately.

Language reflects solidarity and other social relationships as well. The field that studies that phenomenon is called sociolinguistics.

Sociolinguistics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Too long.

Isn't it much easier to just say "blacks are a protected class", as long as they're not conservative.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,857,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think I saw you in a beer commercial.
Probably not, I don't drink.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Probably not, I don't drink.
Yet another reason not to like you.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,839,921 times
Quote:
I freely admit that I don't have any black friends. Acquaintances yes, friends no.

Too different.
TASTE THE RAINBOW.

Best thing that came out of that incredibly sucktastic movie.

YouTube - Seal - Kiss From A Rose (Official Music Video 720p HD) + Lyrics

Old 05-11-2011, 08:35 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Too long.

Isn't it much easier to just say "blacks are a protected class", as long as they're not conservative.
Easier but also not what I said. In brief, what I said is that the relationship between speakers does affect their language. The N word used among blacks is a solidarity marker. Solidarity markers exist in all languages for all kinds of groups. Usage of the N word among blacks makes sense when you look at it from a sociolinguistic perspective because when used among blacks, it's just another solidarity marker.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:34 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
You Can’t Say That: The Well-Intentioned Censorship of Poltical Correctness | DBKP - Death By 1000 Papercuts - DBKP
Political correctness is an approved form of censorship. Based on emotional appeals at the expense of reason, political correctness mandates that inconvenient truths or facts be swept under the carpet. Or else.
Free speech, guaranteed to all Americans under the first amendment, is on it’s way to becoming moot. The political, media and intellectual elites who control the terms of national debate and the rules of civil society have succeeded in censoring opposing views, limiting debate and demonizing dissent. Perception is on its way to becoming our new reality.
Note, this is a Right leaning article. Just to clear that up before someone says it's slanted. The author has valid points though, if you keep an open mind.
The GREAT UNSEEN HAND of control.
Nobody is controlling hate speech. Go ahead and indulge! If somebody objects, then that is THEIR right of free speech. There is no legal censorship. Stand up for your beliefs and accept the moral consequences!
Any racist nutcase can have his or her say in the right-wing media. Just accept the backlash as a price of "freedom" from the other side.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:49 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,296,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The GREAT UNSEEN HAND of control.
Nobody is controlling hate speech. Go ahead and indulge! If somebody objects, then that is THEIR right of free speech. There is no legal censorship. Stand up for your beliefs and accept the moral consequences!
Any racist nutcase can have his or her say in the right-wing media. Just accept the backlash as a price of "freedom" from the other side.
Reminds me of when I hear White guys whine and complain that they can't use the n word. I always respond by telling them that no one is stopping them. The only thing that prevents them from using the n word in public is fear. If you have fear well that is your problem, can't pin that on society.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:52 PM

66 posts, read 63,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I know several ladies in their late 70's/early 80's that really ignore PC'ness ON PURPOSE. They know what they're saying is racist/xenophobic, etc., but they know they get a free pass because of their age, and do they take advantage of it!
I am in my 20s and I ignore PC'ness ON PURPOSE as well.

You sound like you're making fun of the old ladies because they refuse to wear the shackles that you have chosen to wear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies