Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 04:42 AM

1,175 posts, read 1,786,668 times

Advertisements

Once again,

"POLITICAL CORRECTNESS IS A WEAPON WITH A WORKER AT BOTH ENDS"

Short answer to the posted question….

NO, absolutely not. Free speech is completely gutted, devalued and meaningless if one is cowed into silence by FEAR.
If a person is AFRAID to speak their mind they obviously are not free to speak. What the fools in 1965 started ended up undermining the very same "free-speech" they claimed to hold so dear.
That is NOT the way of a FREE society.

In a free society if you don't like what you hear, you walk away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Correct, no law is stopping them from having their say. Any nutball has the freedom to make an ass of himself. Any jerk can express an opinion about anything, any time. That's what makes America great! If there is a backlash from an opposition of sorts, that's freedom working both ways!
The title of the thread suggests that hate-speech is being unfairly censored. Not true - anyone who wishes can find a friendly right-wing venue and go at it!
Exactly. People think that not being able to say something without others reacting to it is loss of freedom of speech. No, freedom of speech means you get put in jail or killed or somehow penalized by the government for speaking your opinion. Getting kicked off a radio or pissing a few people off because you used the N word is not the loss of freedom of speech. A lot of people don't even realize how many freedoms America has compared to many other countries in the world. We can openly bash our President for example (as you can see all over the place on CD) without worrying that the government will be after us. You can't do that in a lot of countries. Freedom of speech is not being able to say anything at all without other people also saying what they want. Freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Old 05-12-2011, 05:14 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,938,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Exactly. People think that not being able to say something without others reacting to it is loss of freedom of speech. No, freedom of speech means you get put in jail or killed or somehow penalized by the government for speaking your opinion. Getting kicked off a radio or pissing a few people off because you used the N word is not the loss of freedom of speech. A lot of people don't even realize how many freedoms America has compared to many other countries in the world. We can openly bash our President for example (as you can see all over the place on CD) without worrying that the government will be after us. You can't do that in a lot of countries. Freedom of speech is not being able to say anything at all without other people also saying what they want. Freedom of speech is a two-way street.
Reminds me that talk-host Dr. Laura Schlesinger claimed her freedom of speech was being violated when she came under fire for some statements she made. Says a lot about the mentality and its double standard.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:28 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Please. You say stuff on here about black people that you wouldn't dream of saying in real life. Who do you think you're fooling?
What would I have to fear?
I mean,black people aren't some special group that cannot be spoken to...

Quote:
Like i said before, don't say anything over the line, and you shouldn't have anything to worry about.
Freedom of speech is a *****,means you don't get to decide what others say,even if you think you can....You can certainly try to assault a person fro speech you don't like,won't necessarily work out too well for you though.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My skin is already thick enough. I don't want it to be thicker. Forget self control on my part...don't call me a pejorative racial term and my skin thickness won't be an issue.
Sticks and stones....ever heard of it?

You don't get to decide what others can say,don't like it,well tough poopoo.

Again you can try to physically assault someone over having your little feelings hurt but don't be surprised when you wind up in jail....or worse.

You seem to illustrate a lack of self control,you might want to look into that.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molōn labe! View Post
People have no right not to be offended.

Old 05-12-2011, 09:52 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,659 times
Political Correctness causes serious brain damage.
Look, I can't see I agree with someone hatefully saying that ol' N word. But you know what kills me? If someone just says the word, they get attacked. Like, literally with no context of hate. You could look on a piece of paper and it says "N'er" and you say "Um.. this paper says N'er".. and you would be ATTACKED.

I am a HUGE fan of South Park. Offensive humor + satire is just delicious, IMO. Anyway, last night Scott the Dick from Canada (lmao), was talking about the Eskimo Native Canadians and referred to them as "Polar Gooks". I posted his quote on my facebook for a good laugh, I got attacked. I said it's from south park, and I got "WELL just because it's from south park, doesn't mean it's ok to put it as a status!"

I just.. don't get how people are sooo worried about words. I just don't get it.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Look, I can't see I agree with someone hatefully saying that ol' N word. But you know what kills me? If someone just says the word, they get attacked. Like, literally with no context of hate. You could look on a piece of paper and it says "N'er" and you say "Um.. this paper says N'er".. and you would be ATTACKED.

I am a HUGE fan of South Park. Offensive humor + satire is just delicious, IMO. Anyway, last night Scott the Dick from Canada (lmao), was talking about the Eskimo Native Canadians and referred to them as "Polar Gooks". I posted his quote on my facebook for a good laugh, I got attacked. I said it's from south park, and I got "WELL just because it's from south park, doesn't mean it's ok to put it as a status!"

I just.. don't get how people are sooo worried about words. I just don't get it.
People like to try and control others,if they can do it through shame or guilt that is fine to them,even better if they can do it through stupid laws.
If that fails,some as have posted here will physically assault someone because they don't like what they have to say.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

Firstly, I agree there is way too much sensitivity around not being offensive and so on. No question about it.

Though I would like to point out that words are more than "just words" because they inform many parts of cognition and are the very fabric of communication. So they do have an effect on people. When your fiance proposes to you, are those just words? When you accept, are those just words? When a child gets called stupid and lazy, or told they should have never been born, they can grow up internalizing that and really believing it. All of those stem from words.

As you can see, words have the potential to be quite powerful. That doesn't mean they always are, or that they are always meant to be powerful, but they definitely can be and when they are used powerfully, the effects can be great (whether positive or negative).

Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post

As you can see, words have the potential to be quite powerful. That doesn't mean they always are, or that they are always meant to be powerful, but they definitely can be and when they are used powerfully, the effects can be great (whether positive or negative).
Only if the person CHOOSES to let those words have power...and that is TOTALLY their choice.

What we seem to have nowadays is a lot of people who need to put their big girl panties on and get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies