Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you consider voting for Ron Paul?
Yes 31 31.96%
No 51 52.58%
Maybe with more information about him 4 4.12%
I've alreading decided to Vote for Obama 11 11.34%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 05:09 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,518,975 times

Advertisements

Heck yeah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2011, 05:21 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,252,856 times
Republicans do not like Ron Paul because he is not a war mongering killer like Bush. He wants to scale back the military and they cannot stand for that.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:53 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,368,508 times
No, I'm an independent, his stance on abortion and wanting to repeal Roe v Wade is sickening to me. I'm fed up with the gov't trying to interfere with my choices, what I do with my body should be between me and my doctor and should be no ones business but my own (btw, I'm way beyond child bearing age and I'm old enough to have lived through when abortions were illegal as a teenager and young adult). I also don't like his stance on gay marriage - let 'em do what they want and have the same rights as others, I don't understand what all the fuss is about it.

There are many other issues I don't agree with but these are the top 2.

So many think we should return to the "good old days" well that's never going to happen, we need to move forward and figure out ways the USA can be in the now and future, not some antiquated, rose colored view of the past or we are doomed.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:03 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
No, I'm an independent, his stance on abortion and wanting to repeal Roe v Wade is sickening to me. I'm fed up with the gov't trying to interfere with my choices, what I do with my body should be between me and my doctor and should be no ones business but my own (btw, I'm way beyond child bearing age and I'm old enough to have lived through when abortions were illegal as a teenager and young adult).
There is no way Ron Paul can reverse Roe v Wade. If you had actually followed his policies you'd know he wants it to be a states issue.
Ron Paul speaks of property rights and the right to life for the infant. When you do not have the right to life, the other rights are meaningless.

Quote:
I also don't like his stance on gay marriage - let 'em do what they want and have the same rights as others, I don't understand what all the fuss is about it.
You just stated Rons policy. Everyone has the same rights. No one group "deserves rights more". Why does anyone need the government approval to recognize their marriage? Leave it up to the churches.

So either you want people to do what they want as long as they do not infringe upon the rights of others, or you want to use force to get their "acceptance". Which is it? Sick of interference or not?

Quote:
There are many other issues I don't agree with but these are the top 2.
but you don't understand his policies and the reasons behind it. He cannot be understood by a sound bite, no one can.

Quote:
So many think we should return to the "good old days" well that's never going to happen, we need to move forward and figure out ways the USA can be in the now and future, not some antiquated, rose colored view of the past or we are doomed.
That's just a cheerleader statement. You didn't say anything except you want to rely on government to take care of you, to move forward. Haven't you figured it out yet, government cannot run your life as well as you can.

So the economy is in ruins, people are dying by the thousands in the Middle East yet your 2 biggest issues are gay marriage and abortion. If that's what you want go for it. The only candidate who voted against illegally invading the Middle East and against the Housing Bill that ruined our economy yet you won't vote for him.
The last presidential election the two biggest issues were the economy and the Middle East. For me those are still the most important two. It sounds like you are looking for a reason to NOT vote for him, instead of looking for reasons to vote for him.

If you are happy with the status quo vote for an Obama, or Romney, or Perry or another stepford candidate. Their policies differ little. Just who gets to profit from their manipulation is the difference.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:13 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,328,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Republicans do not like Ron Paul because he is not a war mongering killer like Bush. He wants to scale back the military and they cannot stand for that.
To be fair, Bush was one BARBECUING WAR MONGERING KILLER.

Can you imaging Eisenhower smirking on the Korean War?

Old 08-21-2011, 09:15 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,878,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Pauls world view involves commerce and not killing. Thats too civilized and sophisticated a position for blood thirsty, anti-trade dems.
nailed it. course you can interchange repubs for dems in that sentence too.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:34 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
There is no way Ron Paul can reverse Roe v Wade. If you had actually followed his policies you'd know he wants it to be a states issue.
As president, Ron Paul would appoint people to the Supreme Court who could overturn Roe v Wade.

Why would I want to vote for someone who thinks complete strangers should dictate my personal choice of whether or not to carry a pregnancy?

I am happy with Roe v Wade the way it is.....why would I vote for someone who wants to dismantle it?

If I have an unwanted pregnancy that I wish to abort, is it going to make a difference to me whether the state denies me that right or the fed denies me that right......it is still a bunch of complete strangers forcing me to adhere to their personal beliefs.

You contend I should feel guilty because I focus on this one issue.....however.....you have no problem with candidates that are planning on tackling this issue when they should be concentrating on "more important" issues if they are elected.

As I pointed out earlier, state economies are tanking.....yet they are using valuable legislative time and money trying to dilute Roe v Wade and adding layer upon layer of government bureaucracy to interfere in people's personal lives...... .....and Ron Paul is advocating the same.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:14 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
nailed it. course you can interchange repubs for dems in that sentence too.

For the sake of accuracy, you could replace both terms, Republican and Democrat, with a label reading "Owned and Operated by PetroPharmagro , Inc."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies