Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,837,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sarah Palin: American Law Should Be 'Based On The God Of The Bible And The Ten Commandments'

She may have a point.

America could do worse than to go back to an age of morality and prudence.

We have strayed further and further away from strong family values that hold our communities together.

The family that prays together...stays together.
That may be true, but do you, or should you, pray the same prayer as your neighbor? Who gets to decide what christian law is? Mrs. Sarah Palin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:56 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times
Hell no!

We have this little thing called "The Constitution".

Old 05-25-2011, 09:27 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- And that would be a violation of the first amendment.
Okay, Are we back to mixing Church and State. I for one believe in keeping this seperate. I do believe including God in all that we do. Just feel we can keep the two seperate.

Quote:
2- No, a cross serves the same purpose an idol does. An "idol" doesn't need to be an exact shape and form of an entity. Here is a version of the commandment, pretty generic:
"You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."
Your probably right here, but I figured as long as it wasn't "Gold" it works. Seems to me this would be more of something you made into an idol and worshiped as a god. If people came and prayed at the base of the Cross, the Cross still represents Jesus.
Quote:
3- Well, then you break the commandment.
Yeah, hopefully I'm not going to Hell. Wonder if we are allowed to miss at least 3 ??
Quote:
10- Anything can be claimed to be taken out of context. But let us look at a version of the text:
"You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or male or female slave, or ox, or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."
Not that it condones coveting your neighbor's husband, but this technically talks about desire of things you see around you, and want for yourself.
Yeah, I have noticed at times men are covered in the Bible. As far as "Man" being used more often than "Women",
I took this, as not longing for others stuff, that you would do anything to have it. The story of David and Bathsheba comes to mind.

Old 05-25-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Me too. Protestants aren't true Christians. This country is a Christian Catholic country. Catholics are actually the majority religious group and should therefore rule this country.
Now, this is bringing all together. No religion should rule this country. Do you like it when the Protestants say Catholics are not true Christians? People wonder why Christians are so confused, they even eat their own.

This is the very reason, people avoid Organized Religion.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
1-Okay, Are we back to mixing Church and State. I for one believe in keeping this seperate. I do believe including God in all that we do. Just feel we can keep the two seperate.

2- Your probably right here, but I figured as long as it wasn't "Gold" it works. Seems to me this would be more of something you made into an idol and worshiped as a god. If people came and prayed at the base of the Cross, the Cross still represents Jesus.
1- That is why it is insanity to assume that the Ten Commandments, or anything religious along the lines, for that matter was the foundation of the US constitution.

2- Statue of Jesus would be yet another example of that, actually. People do pray to cross/statue or picture of Jesus as an idol representing the God, representing their beliefs.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:53 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,752,843 times
I would rather live under a Christian code of governance that an Islamic one. At least I can choose to go to church or not, I am allowed as a woman to DRIVE a car and do not have to hide under a bed sheet and I am not stoned to death for adultry, but rather forgiven by a compassionate God should I stumble. This country has worked fairly well compared to the middle east. Unless of course you would rather live in dirt filled rubble homes.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:08 AM

78 posts, read 103,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I would rather live under a Christian code of governance that an Islamic one. At least I can choose to go to church or not, I am allowed as a woman to DRIVE a car and do not have to hide under a bed sheet and I am not stoned to death for adultry, but rather forgiven by a compassionate God should I stumble. This country has worked fairly well compared to the middle east. Unless of course you would rather live in dirt filled rubble homes.
If you were headed for the point of this thread, you better flip a U turn. You missed the exit several miles back.

Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,947,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sarah Palin: American Law Should Be 'Based On The God Of The Bible And The Ten Commandments'

She may have a point.

America could do worse than to go back to an age of morality and prudence.

We have strayed further and further away from strong family values that hold our communities together.

The family that prays together...stays together.
Sure they would, but not this Christian and not most Christians, only the hard core believe in forcing their beliefs on others.
Casper

Old 05-25-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The problem with your post is that it is uninformed. The Catholic Church was kicked out of England during the reign of Henry VIII. Try again.
I would be glad to try again..............
Church of England: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article
The Church of England understands itself to be both Catholic and Reformed

The only thing that changed was Henry VIII was in charge and not the Pope. Same beliefs different, spokes person..........Next

Last edited by wildflower82; 05-25-2011 at 09:24 PM..

Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- That is why it is insanity to assume that the Ten Commandments, or anything religious along the lines, for that matter was the foundation of the US constitution.
I agree with this. I believe the fore-fathers made it clear, no "One Religion" would govern the people. Just to say none of them their selves were not Godly, is very much in dispute and it seems to just be, being taught this way.

This might interest you......... God in the State Constitutions - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net
Quote:
2- Statue of Jesus would be yet another example of that, actually. People do pray to cross/statue or picture of Jesus as an idol representing the God, representing their beliefs.
You do have me here.

I would say, if one is real set on Jesus being white, with blue eyes and long hair, and this is only how they will know Him, then they don't know Him. Jesus is never described to us, at least not the physical look, how people got the look is beyond me.

If the Cross has to be in ones presence for one to know Jesus, they have left Him on the Cross. I'm pretty sure, God knows if a person is clinging to the idol, more than knowing the Saviour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies