Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2011, 12:08 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Some would say Queen Elizabeth didn't carry out the Church for God either.

Essentially, the Church of England is "Catholic", but with a different head, the reigning monarch of England. By not accepting the authority of the pope, it must be considered "Protestant", but many of its doctrines and practices are nearly indistinguishable from Catholicism. There are some who refer to it as "the Third Way".

He used religion..............guess alls fair in "Love and War", or in Henry's case "Divorce and Murder".

We the people should never let religion be used for the purpose of "ONE MAN".

What it showed as some were disputing..........Henry was Catholic and the Church of England's teachings were Catholic. He wasn't out to destroy the teaching of Catholic's, just their wealth and his own desire for a divorce.

Martin Luther didn't see the Church of England reformed enough. If you read you will see Martin Luther's motives were purely for God.

Isn't this the same as "Cherry Picking the Bible". Henry took what he wanted from the Catholic Church and changed what he didn't like. The "Common Prayer Book" was still only available for the rich and those that could read. Again keeping the word from the common people.
Well, Henry's been dead for a long, long time, and the Anglican Church throughout the world is not like it was in his time. And even though the changes he made were for his own benefit, they were the first steps of a change that grew bigger than he could have ever imagined.

I like Elizabeth I's quote, which I think bears repeating:

"There is only one Christ, Jesus," she said, "only one faith. All else is a dispute over trifles."

The Episcopal Church often describes itself as the "Via Media", or the "Middle Way", not the third way. Anyway, no version of the church or interpretation of the bible is perfect or the "right" one, because they are ALL influenced by the humans using them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2011, 04:55 PM

255 posts, read 219,420 times
I believe that depictions of both Muslim and Christian belief systems are being painted in a sort of extremist fashion. While Islam has been portrayed to be quite rigid and unforgiving for certain offenses, particularly involving women, I do not know enough about their rudimentary beliefs to comment on them. However, as a lifelong Christian I know where of I speak. Christians who strive to follow the tenants of the Bible understand tolerance but try to set an example as well. Too often the Christians that we see or hear about are the "do as I say, not as I do" type, but you find some variation of that with every religion.

I believe that America should return to many of the values and standards held by our forebears, namely morality, honor, and integrity. People used to take pride in their work and often went the extra mile at no additional charge. Obviously greed existed, but was it as pervasive and divisive as it is today? I doubt it, but who can say.

Religion is under attack like never before under the guise of tolerance, understanding, and diversity. Christianity is treated like the ugly stepchild, or outdated, while other religions are given a pass on many practices that traditional Christianity would be raked over the coals for.

I would like to see children respecting their parents and each other. I would like to see children taught about abstinence rather than how to put a condom on a cucumber when they are eleven. I would like to see people realize how honored and blessed they are to be living in the greatest country on earth without taking that for granted. I would like to see women held up with dignity because of the sacred role they play both for the human race as well as in the home. I would like to see the miracle that is a developing fetus seen for what it is; a precious gift from God instead of a burden to be gotten rid of just because a woman didn't use protection and doesn't want kids yet. Granted in the last example there are situations like rape and incest that have to be addressed. I would like to see the rule of law upheld regardless of a person's credentials or social status.

Religious values like these would make remarkable progress in rebuilding the honor and reputation of our country as well as it's citizens. While there will always be those who dislike principles such as these for whatever reason, they are principles that can be applied to strengthen our foundation regardless of which God we pray to. Some values are UNIVERSAL.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:55 AM

6 posts, read 4,411 times
"What in hell scares people about talking about America's foundation of faith?" Palin continued.
homosexuals, wiccans, non-believers and people who have sex outside of marriage should be scared because the bible is very specific about what punishments they should recieve

"Go back to what our founders and our founding documents meant -- they're quite clear -- that we would create law based on the God of the bible and the ten commandments.

this is NOT TRUE at all.
in our actual founding documents it is quite clear that there is NO MENTION of any intent to create laws based upon the bible or the 10 commandments

"America could do worse than to go back to an age of morality and prudence."

we have morals
we just have different morals today than we did back then.
back then morals were based upon illogical and irrational beliefs found in that irrational and illogical book; the bible
today we have evolved, matured (well..most of us have) and our morals have changed and grown with us
in many ways we have BETTER and MORE RATIONAL morals today than we did in 1776;
we no longer brand people for having sex outside of marriage
we no longer care if people end bad marriages by getting divorced
we no longer wet our panties at the mention of homosexuality
we no longer enslave people (and we all know that god, in the bible, condones, promotes and endorses SLAVERY......how moral is THAT?)

"The family that prays together...stays together. "

according to polls conducted for the past 40 years christians (specifically FUNDIES) divorce at the same rate as everyone else

I'm curious; if you had your way and we went back to christian morals and made the 10 commandments the law of the land.....who would you enslave?
would you kill gays?
and atheists?
and wiccans?
and people who have sex outside of marriage?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:14 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Using the State to enforce religious beliefs only disparages the ability of God to enforce His Rules.

Mankind has provided plenty of Gods with way too many rules for people to choose from.

Either Kristian Law or Islamic Law or Hindu Law are just another way of enslaving the minds an bodies of both believers and unbelievers. I am not and will not be a slave to anyone or anything.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Sarah Palin: American Law Should Be 'Based On The God Of The Bible And The Ten Commandments'

She may have a point.

America could do worse than to go back to an age of morality and prudence.

We have strayed further and further away from strong family values that hold our communities together.

The family that prays together...stays together.
Yes. I most definitely would like to see Christian rule AND monopoly in America. God would bless our nation and we would rise on top again. But not in a bad way. We'd be the light in this world for family, justice, freedom, and all good things that come from God. What we need to do is hunt down all these liberals, feminist, & atheist, in our government and schools and kick them straight to the curb. Hunt them down with dogs out of Hollywood. And put prayer back into schools nationwide and in our government. And start turning Hollywood back into a traditional town with traditional values. Make movies and tv shows that center more on the traditional American family rather than the filth that are on our screens today infiltrating our children's minds. We need a return to God and fast. And the sooner we get these liberals and atheist out of government, the better. I won't stop the good fight.

Last edited by allenk893; 06-10-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
That's a myth. It's fact that those who are agnostic are less likely to cheat or get divorced than people who are actively religious (just look at all these sex scandals from "family values" republicans)
I have an extremely right-wing, evangelical, strict aunt and uncle who home school their children and force them to do family prayer time every day. Their 3 oldest children are girls, and now the third one of them has had a baby in her teens. Two of them have had drug charges and one a DUI. I'm a firm believe that this sort of extreme religion (no matter what the religion) is dangerous to children and creates screwed up adults!

Old 06-10-2011, 11:24 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yes. I most definitely would like to see Christian rule AND monopoly in America. God would bless our nation and we would rise on top again. But not in a bad way. We'd be the light in this world for family, justice, freedom, and all good things that come from God. What we need to do is hunt down all these liberals, feminist, & atheist, in our government and schools and kick them straight to the curb. Hunt them down with dogs out of Hollywood. And put prayer back into schools nationwide and in our government. And start turning Hollywood back into a traditional town wtih traditional values. Make movies and tv shows that center more on the traditional American family rather than the filth that are on our screens today infiltrating our children's minds. We need a return to God and fast. And the sooner we get these liberals and atheist out of government, the better. I won't stop the good fight.
I don't know if this is a troll post or not, but I find it amusing that you think your version of a "Christian" America would be a "light" for freedom, and then you turn around and talk about hunting down people who don't believe the same as you like animals.

This is actually a pretty stupid topic anyway. There's so much difference among Christians that you'd never get all "Christians" to decide on one thing. But it's the evangelical "Christian Taliban" types who generally would like to force their narrow views on the rest of the country via laws. I assume my Presbyterian church would probably be banned and burned in your perfect world

Old 06-10-2011, 11:28 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,016,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Essentially, the Church of England is "Catholic", but with a different head, the reigning monarch of England. By not accepting the authority of the pope, it must be considered "Protestant", but many of its doctrines and practices are nearly indistinguishable from Catholicism.
The Church of England is described "Protestant Episcopal" which in essence means English Catholic. Most simply state it as Episcopalian these days, dropping the protestant part.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:33 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
I don't know if this is a troll post or not, but I find it amusing that you think your version of a "Christian" America would be a "light" for freedom, and then you turn around and talk about hunting down people who don't believe the same as you like animals.

This is actually a pretty stupid topic anyway. There's so much difference among Christians that you'd never get all "Christians" to decide on one thing. But it's the evangelical "Christian Taliban" types who generally would like to force their narrow views on the rest of the country via laws. I assume my Presbyterian church would probably be banned and burned in your perfect world
No but I would just like Christianity in general to have completely monopoly and rule in America. Just like the 1950s. Minus the racism of course. The Bible should be the completely authority in government and schools. And that's what I believe. I don't care for what you care to call it. That's my just my opinion.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:34 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,944,994 times
"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant church, nor by any church that I know of. My own mind is my own church.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." Thomas Paine

Of course, Palin has little in common with Paine's most famous works, Common Sense and The Age of Reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies